Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Birds of New Zealand & Bird of the Year poll 2015.

Birds of New Zealand & Bird of the Year poll 2015.

Old Oct 7th 2015, 1:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Birds of New Zealand & Bird of the Year poll 2015.

I thought some of you might be interested in looking at and hearing some of our New Zealand birds. After all on-shore New Zealand was all about its birds.

The link below allows you to see a picture of the bird, know its Maori name and also listen to the call.

Everyone knows about the fight to keep the Kiwi in the wild. The Kakapo is among the worlds top ten of most endangered bird and the worlds rarest parrot. They are beautiful .

Then we have the rare yellow eyed penguins which I am hoping to see once again very soon. The Tui's & fantails that flit around our gardens & the only place where the Royal Albatross can be seen on land.

For those of us here, there is an opportunity to vote for your favorite bird.

This year I voted for the Kea as they are now under duress.

Click the link below.

NEW ZEALAND BIRDS AND BIRD OF THE YEAR 2015
Old Oct 7th 2015, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birds of New Zealand & Bird of the Year poll 2015.

Bev's, you are a star.

I love watching the birds here even the sparrows.

I've never know the first thing about any of them....until now !!
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Bevs, this has really cheered me up this morning. We feed and provide roosting and nesting spots for lots of birds on the smallholding here and hope to do the same over there.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 1:00 am
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
Bev's, you are a star.

I love watching the birds here even the sparrows.

I've never know the first thing about any of them....until now !!
So do I Col. It is a great joy to see so many birds around us.

We've seen an owl from our dining room window . Had grey herons in the paddock next door. Little quail have popped up again and it is the time of year that Mr BEVS is mindful of the Pukeko that can't make up its mind to cross the road or not.

We've Tuis and fantails. Also starlings, thrushes, blackbirds and chaffinches. Then there are the house martins sometimes .

I love birds
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

karen87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that link, very interesting.

We love watching (and hearing!) the birds come into our garden and trying to identify them on walks too. We had about five California Quail make an appearance yesterday, but Pukeko's, Tui's, and Fantail's are always nearby.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 5:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Not the ducks that awoke me from my slumber the other week, scared the beejeesus out of me. hobnail boots on had nothing on the noise they created on the tin roof.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 10:09 pm
`

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Not the ducks that awoke me from my slumber the other week, scared the beejeesus out of me. hobnail boots on had nothing on the noise they created on the tin roof.
You sure they were ducks.

The starlings are the ones that clank about on our roof. They we get to hear them get into a bit of bother around the flue. That is when they are not playing marbles up there. That's what it sounds like anyway.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 11:25 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes ducks they were
Attached Thumbnails Birds of New Zealand & Bird of the Year poll 2015.-dsc_0057_1.jpg   Birds of New Zealand & Bird of the Year poll 2015.-dsc_0062_1.jpg  
Old Oct 14th 2015, 12:00 am
`

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
oh yes ducks they were

Probably a sign of great luck in the offing

Or might that be great duck.