Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.

The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.

little silver eye at top of Rangototo
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Fan tail- hard to photograph as they flit around so much in a crazy drunken flight path
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Debbi****
There are a pair of birds in our street who live here and are always together. They love chatting and chirruping together. They look like magpies but are slightly larger and have a grey chest. What are they ?
Photo needed please?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.

Originally Posted by BEVS
T'was magical .
He seems to be giving you a "What are you gawking at, trying to start a fight?" type look BEVS. Must be past his bedtime.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:45 am
`

Originally Posted by MattandJax
http:////farm5.static.flickr.com/410...2e094d1a37.jpg

little silver eye at top of Rangototo
That's a mighty apple looking mountain that wee wax eye has climbed.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:48 am
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
He seems to be giving you a "What are you gawking at, trying to start a fight?" type look BEVS. Must be past his bedtime.
I rather felt she & me understood a few things in life.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

not sure if that will work. a NZ dotterel. endangered and showing his pink breeding chest
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:43 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Keas in the snow on Arthur's Pass. Could only get one of the brightly coloured underside of the wings as they're too bloody fast

And one pukeko in Christchurch, Charismatic's description of them is spot on. They make me smile.
Attached Thumbnails The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.-dsc_0347.jpg   The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.-dsc_0351.jpg   The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.-dsc_0338.jpg   The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.-dsc_0340.jpg   The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.-p1010955-parklands001.jpg  

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:58 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandJax
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6191/...1bfe3fb4eb.jpg

Fan tail- hard to photograph as they flit around so much in a crazy drunken flight path
Fantails and pukekos are my favourites but I love them all. We've got Tuis, rosellas, wood pigeons, blackbirds (we've had one come into our kitchen and eat out of the cat's bowl for the past two summers) and we've even had a pair of white herons nesting close by for last couple of years also. The dawn chorus has started since last week and walking up the road to the bus makes me think I'm in a Disney movie most mornings I think the birds are probably my favourite thing about New Zealand.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:28 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if this is a heron or not

He was so hard to photograph! You're afraid to move in case he'll fly off as they're very skitterish but he kept shaking the leaves around him so even though I was just under the tree I don't have a clear shot of him (HE is a wood pigeon. It could very easily have been a SHE but they're so big you can't help but attribute masculine traits to them )

We've got a couple of families of these in our 'garden'

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:13 am
`

I'd love to have the wee parrots down here in our garden.

Meant to add these 2 photos last week.
Husband went out onto the back deck to find this shining cuckoo just sitting there. Theory is it had flown into the lounge window & needed time to recover itself. It flew happily away after a short while.

Wonderful green plumage with stripped cream and beige chest markings They really are shiny

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:27 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

South Island Kaka

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

What lovely photographs, can't wait to see all these birds myself. As the winter approaches here, we have a 3 woodpeckers, a pair of collared doves, coal tits, great tits, blue tits, thrushes, blackbirds and a whole load of tree sparrows. Husband has started complaining about their feed bill already!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a thrush nesting in a Yucca at just about eye level. I'm checking regularly for the chicks emerging
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:09 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are semi-rural, you may have heard the morepork at night (or ruru, a NZ native owl). I hear the ruru all the time in that period where you're drifting off to sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4QWKo_7IN4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.