Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.

The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.

I would just like to say that I was dive bombed today by a Tui,
bloody thing nearly had me head off
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
If you are semi-rural, you may have heard the morepork at night (or ruru, a NZ native owl). I hear the ruru all the time in that period where you're drifting off to sleep.
One came to call one dusky evening .

My post HERE
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:38 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Mynah - you don't get these in Wellington. They must like it a little warmer as you only start to see them as you travel North.

Kea

Tui

Black Swans

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:15 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
One came to call one dusky evening .

My post HERE
Cool. I've never seen one. Just hear them at night.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:14 am
`

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Cool. I've never seen one. Just hear them at night.
This one was around the area for a while & may be quietly still here somewhere. We didn't see him/her quite like that magical moment when we looked at each other through the window but we saw him/her swoop and fly in and around the trees and bushes outside of the property

We were driving back from a friends house once up on what was Old Coach Road locally, and there was one just sitting on a post. No camera that night & when we stopped, it took flight.

I have the photos framed even though it is a bit dark.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
We have a thrush nesting in a Yucca at just about eye level. I'm checking regularly for the chicks emerging
I'm very proud to announce the arrival of 4 chicks. Helping mummy & daddy thrush to feed their young by collecting snails & putting them on the deck.

Mummy thrush is getting so used to this now that yesterday, she sat on the deck & just looked at me through the window until I got up & went to collect some more
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:24 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We have a blackbird that comes and steals biscuits from the cats' dishes on the deck.
They just sit and watch.
It's one of the glossiest looking blackbirds around.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

A Pukeko and a empty yogurt carton.
Attached Thumbnails The birds of New Zealand , bird calls & photos.-img_1699.jpg  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:17 pm
Happy in Wellington

A few from Nga Manu reserve in Waikanae last weekend.

Kereru

Pukeko

Pukeko chick

Mallard Duckling. I didn't know this but Pukeko eat ducklings!! We saw one taken. This was the last one the mother duck had left
They took this one and put it in a tank with four rescued ones someone had brought in so at least it will survive.

Kea
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:50 pm
`

That photo of the Kea is astounding.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 2:58 am
Happy in Wellington

Caught it having a stretch. I was hoping it might show off the orange feathers a bit more.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:53 am
`

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Caught it having a stretch. I was hoping it might show off the orange feathers a bit more.
I think that's part of what makes the pic outstanding IMHO. It's in the promise.

Where is Dustybin. He has an eye. I just have appreciation.

I really love it.