British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bills, bill, bills!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bills-bill-bills-793903/)

Genesis Apr 13th 2013 11:30 pm

Bills, bill, bills!!!

Just worked out our bills for a month. All utilities, rates, car rego, ins, petrol (not repairs mind) school bills, life ins, house ins, contents and buildings, union fee and a few other bits and bobs $1735 PER MONTH. That does NOT include food, repairs, clothes, holidays, gifts or anything else associated with normal living. Food is about $1500 a month and probably another $500 a month on repairs clothes and the odd bit of 'fun money'. So that is $3725 a month. And I wonder why we cannot save anything?

Our home insurance alone for building and contents is $1800 a year!!!!

MrsFychan Apr 13th 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Bills, bill, bills!!!

do you have to pay for rubbish removal, be it hire a bin or buy bags?

Charismatic Apr 14th 2013 12:00 am

There was a Hermit man on t' internet who lived in the forest for 25+ years and stole food. I think this could be a really viable alternative to stagflation.

Genesis Apr 14th 2013 12:44 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10657586)
do you have to pay for rubbish removal, be it hire a bin or buy bags?

We buy bags. About $2 a go. I use one, once a month at the most!!!!! Almost everything is either recycled or composted.

Boopy Apr 14th 2013 2:12 am

Genesis, I'm sure you will agree that everything has increased quite abit from 7 years ago :( Home insurance has really sky rocketed, a knock on effect from the quakes in ChCh :( There's only 2 of us & we find it difficult to save :(
Mrs F, we pay for rubbish removal.

Snap Shot Apr 14th 2013 2:44 am

We lease our bin, it's a wheely bin. I pay the lease on a six monthly basis but I can't remember how much it costs. This is extra to the rates that we pay. I also have paid for bin stickers in case of overflow. I haven't used them yet but they are useful in case we have a full bin liner that won't fit into the bin as there's so much in there already. We missed the bin collection last week as we were in Wellington, so this week we've got two weeks' worth of rubbish.

BTW, we recycle too but don't compost.

BEVS Apr 14th 2013 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 10657657)
Genesis, I'm sure you will agree that everything has increased quite abit from 7 years ago Home insurance has really sky rocketed, a knock on effect from the quakes in ChCh There's only 2 of us & we find it difficult to save

Aye. I'll agree with this. Everything so much more expensive, yet wages the same & with less hours.:(

We pay for the rubbish bags. $8 for 4. So $2 per week.

MrsFychan Apr 14th 2013 8:46 am

Naughty Porirua are charging $2.50 per bag :sneaky:

marblep Apr 15th 2013 12:54 pm

Everything has gone up. What shall we all do? Go back to the UK? Protest in NZ?

Like I said in a previous post, life has gone up!

It rains here, rains in the UK
Prices go up here, they go up in the UK
Girls pout in the UK, they kick or throw a ball here
I know where I'd rather be!

Persephone Apr 15th 2013 5:17 pm

In Chch we put our rubbish straight in the bins-no need for bags. Three bins supplied by the council, general rubbish, recyclables and garden/food waste. We paid via the rates, not a separate charge.

BEVS Apr 18th 2013 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 10657657)
Genesis, I'm sure you will agree that everything has increased quite abit from 7 years ago Home insurance has really sky rocketed, a knock on effect from the quakes in ChCh There's only 2 of us & we find it difficult to save

Tiz so Boopy. Every cost has gone up but wages are the same or less & so we have to do with less and less. It would be the same anywhere I feel but still, it is hard as it costs so much more to do so much less here.

bourbon-biscuit Apr 18th 2013 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10657570)
....Food is about $1500 a month ...

Ooo, my favourite sort of thread!

We spent about $250p/w for 4 of us in NZ. Spending about £150p/w here BUT it's for a much more varied diet with more organic dairy products, more high end stuff and more CHEESE, so probably not very comparable. I miss the fresh vegetables of NZ- miss Cambridge Veggie Fresh!

chez7 Apr 21st 2013 7:08 am

greedy country, tax on this tax on that ,it disgusts me that food is taxed it hits the lowest paid and GST on top of your rates charge!!!!A tax on a tax and nobody complains about it,the cost of living has risen fast over the last 7 yrs and wages havent caught up .we are returning to UK this week and I know food will be less and housing will also as well as being properly insulated unlike the wooden scouthuts here that cost way too much .Another thing here is the cost of bin bags ,almost$3 or rent a wheely bin.latest here is recycling bins are charged for ,needless to say recyclings non existent now,most of it just goes to the tip anyway just another con .rant over ,

Assanah Apr 21st 2013 8:02 pm

Never heart Germans in Germany complaining about price hikes like people here in NZ complain. And Germany has a decade long history of stagnant wages.

Charismatic Apr 22nd 2013 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10671220)
Never heart Germans in Germany complaining about price hikes like people here in NZ complain. And Germany has a decade long history of stagnant wages.

You can't measure the wealth of Germans in wages alone, you have to look at factors like job security and opportunity.