British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bill of Lading (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bill-lading-871281/)

AndyWatson1970 Jan 25th 2016 1:52 pm

Bill of Lading

OK, here goes, we were in a shop over the weekend talking to a Kiwi (as you do). She has said that if you buy something brand new (furniture) than you can get a Tax refund if you put the items straight into your crate for shipping. has anyone used this or done anything like this. Andy & Keg

Parnell Jan 25th 2016 4:42 pm

Re: Bill of Lading

Originally Posted by AndyWatson1970 (Post 11847560)
OK, here goes, we were in a shop over the weekend talking to a Kiwi (as you do). She has said that if you buy something brand new (furniture) than you can get a Tax refund if you put the items straight into your crate for shipping. has anyone used this or done anything like this. Andy & Keg

Yes and then you pay GST and Customs Duty on arrival

scot47 Jan 25th 2016 4:43 pm

You mean refund of VAT by HMRC when exporting it from UK ?

AndyWatson1970 Jan 25th 2016 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11847767)
You mean refund of VAT by HMRC when exporting it from UK ?

Yep that's the one

Justcol Jan 25th 2016 5:44 pm

Yes you have to apply to get the vat refunded.

If its coming in to nz as part of a container full of your belongings
I don't think you will be asked to pay gst on it, just dont mark it down on your
inventory as brand new.

Kotare Jan 25th 2016 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11847839)
Yes you have to apply to get the vat refunded.

If its coming in to nz as part of a container full of your belongings
I don't think you will be asked to pay gst on it, just dont mark it down on your
inventory as brand new.

Yes but unpack/repack it, take off sticky labels etc so it could have been used at least once :)

Pulaski Jan 25th 2016 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11848010)
Yes but unpack/repack it, take off sticky labels etc so it could have been used at least once :)

I don't think you can get the VAT back if you had it to touch and hold, only if it was exported directly i.e. directly by the supplier. Then it would necessarily arrive in NZ as an obviously new purchase, and tax/ duty would be payable.

BEVS Jan 25th 2016 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Parnell (Post 11847766)
Yes and then you pay GST and Customs Duty on arrival

Quite.

kirstyp Jan 28th 2016 11:06 am

Originally Posted by AndyWatson1970 (Post 11847560)

We wrote this thread a while back which has a guide, hope it helps!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/frequ...erseas-871456/

Hazelnut Jan 28th 2016 11:48 am

Not to move abroad but I've reclaimed VAT when buying equipment for people with disabilities in the UK. The companies are great, they know the procedure. There's paperwork to fill in but I've been pleasantly surprised that every company I've spoken too has known how to do it and not batter an eyelid. I've since spoken to a couple about buying stuff then shipping to NZ when we've been out and about at exhibitions and they've not always had an immediate answer but they've always come back within a week telling us it is pretty straightforward to do.

The other option is to ask the company that will or did ship your stuff over. We know there's a piece of agricultural kit we want that you can't buy in NZ. Having done loads of calculations it's cheapest to buy new in UK and ship rather than try and take our old and tatty equipment with us. The shipping company said they could help with the VAT reclaim procedure and then ship the equipment as part of a shared container to reduce those costs too.

UktoNZ2016 Jan 28th 2016 4:00 pm

Just on the topic of agri equipment. My brother in law manufactures agri trailers and silage grabs etc. He sends out 40ft containers every few weeks via Wellington and it's pretty straight forward he says. Very simple from his side for not charging vat.