big adventure!

Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

nellyboo will become famous soon enoughnellyboo will become famous soon enough
Default big adventure!

hello all

been reading the forums on the site over the last few weeks, me and my fella are due to arrive in Auckland in 3 weeks. We've visited Auckland before (and most of the North Island!) but it's gonna be a bit different living there!!!
Any advice on where to go, what to do, best ways to meet people...top tips please

looking forward to joining you all in NZ

PS stopping in Singapore for 3 nights, anyone been there?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

jojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant future
Default Re: big adventure!

Hi we are due in Auckland on September 16th. A big adventure for me and the kids as we've never been to NZ and hubby has only been for a week.
Whereabouts are you headed? We are looking at the North Shore as hubby working in Albany.
Just at the 'OMG so much packing to do' stage right now

Jo
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really nice

Depends what you are into really...........lots of great beaches, swimming snorkelling etc, we are on the North Shore, been here for 6 months now and we are still finding new places. The kids visit places as well via the school so that throws up new places to go as well.

Still exploring Auckland but found the museum was good, theme park ok kids enjoyed it, indoor ski place, go karting, good restaurants in the city, Auckland zoo was good, Kelly Tarlton's ok, good cinemas, and a massive shopping centre opens today (i think) in Albany. Vector arena good for concerts etc, North Harbour stadium for sports etc etc

We went via LAX so not sure about Singapore, but friends who went that way round enjoyed their stop over.

John
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

You'll find loads to do around here. When we first came we met people by hanging out in bars! Seriously But most of the people we got talking to are still very good friends almost 5 years later.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

We were advised by Oz and NZ friends that we should start our new life from day 0 in the way we wanted to live our life in the future. We were in a rut and wanted our new life to be less work focused and more focused on living and sport.

It is really easy to come over to a new country and still be carrying on your old habits, it could have been so easy for us. We have been here just under a month and we have joined a number of different sports groups, where we have met heaps of new friends who enjoy the same things. We are also planning to go to our local community centre to go to night classes ( most course are @ $55 for 10 weeks) plus we have been very lucky with our work places that have social regular social events.

So there are ways to meet new friends but it really depends what you are interested in. As other posters have said there is a wealth of places to visit - ether parks, walks, beaches or bars, cafes or entertainment places. So hopefully there will be something that you can find to meet new friends.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. We have been to Singapore several times. It's a great stopover. Where are you staying?
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

nellyboo will become famous soon enoughnellyboo will become famous soon enough

hello all

thanks for all your replies...all the sports and outdoors stuuf sounds rightup our street..getting really excited now!!

Jojo-can't believe you're packing already-you're sooo much more organised than us! We're not sure where in Auckland we'll be renting at first, most of the jobs in our industry seem to be in manukau or waitikere city. Also we've not got little ones so can suit ourselves. You're a brave lady going but it's a beautiful country and kids seem to have a much better life out there, you'll love it I'm sure!!! Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on

take care all
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nellyboo
hello all

been reading the forums on the site over the last few weeks, me and my fella are due to arrive in Auckland in 3 weeks. We've visited Auckland before (and most of the North Island!) but it's gonna be a bit different living there!!!
Any advice on where to go, what to do, best ways to meet people...top tips please

Welcome to BE
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:06 am
Jen

jenjag will become famous soon enoughjenjag will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nellyboo
hello all

Hi, i have been in NZ for 7 weeks now on the Northshore (Browns Bay) and love it, stayed in a hotel in Takapuna first while found somewhere to rent. My OH is working but i cant at moment as not got work visa (prob be another 4-6 weeks), finding it abit lonely at times but everytime i see the sea i smile! Im sure once i start work it will get easier. There are lots of lovely places and tons to do and see. Hope your move goes well.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jojobooster
Hi we are due in Auckland on September 16th. A big adventure for me and the kids as we've never been to NZ and hubby has only been for a week.
Whereabouts are you headed? We are looking at the North Shore as hubby working in Albany.
Just at the 'OMG so much packing to do' stage right now

Jo
Hi Jo

We moved out here 3 weeks ago tomorrow and in that time we have found & moved house, found a job & kids into school an OH been in work for one & half weeks We had never visited before coming out so good luck with the move A lot of people find lots of helps greatly in those stressful moments
Jan