Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Beware toddler on the plane!!

Beware toddler on the plane!!

Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:01 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware toddler on the plane!!

Originally Posted by Cassa
It used to be like that. I am airline background myself (years ago) and it was like that then but not now. It does help if you work for the airline itself. Hubby works for a different airline to emirates so he is an unknown to them. Also we are full fare so not travelling on staff standby. More chance of getting upgraded if we were.

I always ask anyway and sometimes i get it!! It does rather spoil you though! makes you really HATE economy seats next time you have to sit in them!
LOL I hear you there. I was lucky enough to be upgraded at the airlines expense once to first class from LA to Auckland, it was heaven & then to have to go back to economy for the return flight to LA was horrible. Talk about spoiling me flying will never be the same. Goodluck in getting your upgrade especially with you being pregnant. I myself couldnt imagine doing that long flight pregnant & stuck in economy.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:38 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by ginaf
Hi Sarah, I used to be a flight attendant and have also taken a 18 month old to Auckland via L.A.

Make sure that his child seat isn't going to overlap the ailine seat by even an inch as for safety reasons they won't let you use it, and he will have to be on your lap for take-off landing and turbulence.

I never once had a passenger complain about a childs behaviour (adults are a different matter!) I wouldn't worry about that, most people tend to offer their full sympathies to you rather than complain.

I give my little boy a "magic bag", I usually take a trip to Woolies before the flight and stock up on lots of little different surprises to put in the bag, and then every hour during the flight if he has been good he can close his eyes and pull a treat out of the bag, it might be a little car or just a lollipop but it works every time and I have never had a problem, it doesn't have to cost much, but I think the surprise element keeps them on their best behaviour. My boy is now five and we do a fair bit of flying and every time he has a "magic bag" I think he looks forwards to that more than he does the holiday. My little boy was the same age as yours on our trip out and he got the hang of the "magic bag" very quickly even at that age!

HTH
Gina
you deserve some karma for this response!

Who better than an airline expert.

And one with children is even better.

From someone with 3

Phyllis

Old Apr 29th 2005, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Pity Airlines don't keep a sound proof creche at the back of planes, kids can then play to their hearts content with other kids and parents can have peace and quiet at the front of the plane.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:27 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hiya again..

The one thing I'm dreading about the move to NZ is taking my 17th month old boy on the plane. We are travelling via LA with NZ Airlines and decided to stopover in LA to give littlun a break instead of just the touchdown. We're booked into a hotel in Santa Monica for 3 days.

He's very very active and cannot sit still for a minute let alone 11 hours!! How am I going to cope with him on the plane? We are travelling economy and have paid child rate for him to have his own seat. We are taking his car seat as they strap that into his seat.

I'm starting to wake up at night worrying... please does anyone have any ideas other than giving him a horse dose of sedative!!

How did you cope if youve taken a littlun with you? Do they seat them near the window or near the isle? I really think he is going to get upset if he cant run around.. HELP!!

SarahB x
One thing we found useful was having one of those portable DVD players with us. We bought one specifically for the 10hr flight between Texas and the UK and it kept our daughter entertained. Best $200 we ever spent and we occasionally use it in the car now.

It was our first trip and I took along a family pack of earplugs for other passengers just in case she screamed the whole way. Luckily we didn't need them, she only screamed during pushback and taxi to takeoff.

I wish you luck with your trip.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the great replies... Ive already started buying little bits for my "magic bag"... shorty took quite a shine to the Balamory PC Plum mobile phone toy I got today in Boots... have had to hide it away out of sight now..

Not dreading it as much now as I was a couple of days ago... so thanks. xx

SarahB
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:11 am
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by SarahB
Thanks everyone for the great replies... Ive already started buying little bits for my "magic bag"... shorty took quite a shine to the Balamory PC Plum mobile phone toy I got today in Boots... have had to hide it away out of sight now..

Not dreading it as much now as I was a couple of days ago... so thanks. xx

SarahB
Oh definately stop worrying about it!! I worried like mad.. I had a 11 month old going to NZ and he was superb.. a real delight... it's not as bad as you expect.. really, it isn't! the stewards/ess were unreal.. very good (Singapore) and it went so well me husband didn't want to get off the plane!! LOL!! bugger.

Our 9 yr old was hell by the way.

So not so great!! ha ha... never an easy life for us!!

Debx