British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Beware toddler on the plane!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/beware-toddler-plane-299390/)

SarahB Apr 27th 2005 9:36 pm

Beware toddler on the plane!!

Hiya again..

The one thing I'm dreading about the move to NZ is taking my 17th month old boy on the plane. We are travelling via LA with NZ Airlines and decided to stopover in LA to give littlun a break instead of just the touchdown. We're booked into a hotel in Santa Monica for 3 days.

He's very very active and cannot sit still for a minute let alone 11 hours!! How am I going to cope with him on the plane? We are travelling economy and have paid child rate for him to have his own seat. We are taking his car seat as they strap that into his seat.

I'm starting to wake up at night worrying... please does anyone have any ideas other than giving him a horse dose of sedative!!

How did you cope if youve taken a littlun with you? Do they seat them near the window or near the isle? I really think he is going to get upset if he cant run around.. HELP!!

SarahB x

lucyb Apr 27th 2005 9:42 pm

Re: Beware toddler on the plane!!

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hiya again..

The one thing I'm dreading about the move to NZ is taking my 17th month old boy on the plane. We are travelling via LA with NZ Airlines and decided to stopover in LA to give littlun a break instead of just the touchdown. We're booked into a hotel in Santa Monica for 3 days.

He's very very active and cannot sit still for a minute let alone 11 hours!! How am I going to cope with him on the plane? We are travelling economy and have paid child rate for him to have his own seat. We are taking his car seat as they strap that into his seat.

I'm starting to wake up at night worrying... please does anyone have any ideas other than giving him a horse dose of sedative!!

How did you cope if youve taken a littlun with you? Do they seat them near the window or near the isle? I really think he is going to get upset if he cant run around.. HELP!!

SarahB x

OMG I KNOW!! I totally sympathise...we are going on holiday to Antigua next month and Toby will be 12 months....It will be like trying to pin an octopus down. :( When we went to Oz in Sep he was only tiny and slept most of the way...this I fear, will not be the case on the ANU flights.....I suggest we invest in some mallets or handcuffs? :D

SarahB Apr 27th 2005 9:51 pm

Good idea!!

I just don't know what to do or what will happen. He's just getting to the age where hes testing the water and when he doesnt get his way he throws a strop and sits down on the floor and screams.

I think I heard somebody say at work that you can get something from the doctors which is a kind of sedative..... any ideas what it is? How about a pint of calpol? lol :D

I am really dreading it.... prehaps I could pretend to be asleep the whole time so OH has to look after him! ;)

lucyb Apr 27th 2005 11:03 pm

Good idea!!

I just don't know what to do or what will happen. He's just getting to the age where hes testing the water and when he doesnt get his way he throws a strop and sits down on the floor and screams.

I think I heard somebody say at work that you can get something from the doctors which is a kind of sedative..... any ideas what it is? How about a pint of calpol? lol :D

I am really dreading it.... prehaps I could pretend to be asleep the whole time so OH has to look after him! ;)

Are you Sarahb who was chatting with me and Tammy at www.mov****.com today, by the way?

The sedative is called Phenergen and I would not recommend it...it's used as an antihistamine normally and can have side affects...we are both going to have to suck it up and tough it out Im afraid! Who gives a stuff what other passengers think anyway! :D Most of them have/have had kids so know what its like! ANd the others? Who cares..you;ll never see em' again anyway!

Damages Apr 27th 2005 11:17 pm

Hi

It may be worth contacting the airline as I am sure that it is not the first time they have had long haul 'terror tots' on board. I reckon that they will have some expert advice. If they don't know how to deal with it they must be having a pretty miserable time at 35000ft. on a daily basis! You will need loads of board books, crayons and paper, walkman with suitable toddler fodder and plenty of 'bribes'.

A spacious garden and paddling pool would be excellent! :D Maybe you should wait until the Airbus 380 is doing the trip (they're big enough for a theme park!!)
Maybe you could get one of the cabin staff to entertain with a bit of wing walking!!! :D

Sorry - getting really silly now

Kind Regards

Ali

enilorac Apr 27th 2005 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by lucyb
Are you Sarahb who was chatting with me and Tammy at www.mov****.com today, by the way?

The sedative is called Phenergen and I would not recommend it...it's used as an antihistamine normally and can have side affects...we are both going to have to suck it up and tough it out Im afraid! Who gives a stuff what other passengers think anyway! :D Most of them have/have had kids so know what its like! ANd the others? Who cares..you;ll never see em' again anyway!

Ok I must be a really bad mother but I would HIGHLY recommend Phenegan - knocked my kids out for days when they had chickenpox - somebody call social services - mind you most days I'd willingly be taken away for some peace and quiet :D

shepslady Apr 27th 2005 11:25 pm

Hiya again..

SarahB x

Sarah Ive flown that long flight from LA to NZ dozens of times & very rarely has it been a child free flight. Many parents travel with young children. Ive often been seated near families with babies & have always felt so sorry for the parents trying to settle the little ones. Sure some of them cry at take off but for the majority of the journey they do exceptionally well. Mum & Dad often spend a lot of the time pacing up & down the aisle with junior in their arms but also a lot of little ones sleep a lot too so maybe you will be one of the lucky ones huh? Either way I wouldnt frett too much because I have never in all my flights heard a single passenger complain about the babies or small children. Most people will be aware that its a difficult time for you too & will be fine about sharing the trip with you. Also the airline staff are there to offer assistance if it is needed so try relaxing a little & enjoy what time you have left at home before you embark on your travels. If you are really that worried go to your Doctor before you leave & ask if he can give you something to help with the long flight. I dont mean drugging the little ones up but he may be able to give you something to at least calm them down a little. Worth a try isnt it? Now all you people who might disagree with me please dont come down on me I dont mean this in a bad way just trying to help a stressed out young Mum!!

enilorac Apr 27th 2005 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by shepslady
Sarah Ive flown that long flight from LA to NZ dozens of times & very rarely has it been a child free flight. Many parents travel with young children. Ive often been seated near families with babies & have always felt so sorry for the parents trying to settle the little ones. Sure some of them cry at take off but for the majority of the journey they do exceptionally well. Mum & Dad often spend a lot of the time pacing up & down the aisle with junior in their arms but also a lot of little ones sleep a lot too so maybe you will be one of the lucky ones huh? Either way I wouldnt frett too much because I have never in all my flights heard a single passenger complain about the babies or small children. Most people will be aware that its a difficult time for you too & will be fine about sharing the trip with you. Also the airline staff are there to offer assistance if it is needed so try relaxing a little & enjoy what time you have left at home before you embark on your travels. If you are really that worried go to your Doctor before you leave & ask if he can give you something to help with the long flight. I dont mean drugging the little ones up but he may be able to give you something to at least calm them down a little. Worth a try isnt it? Now all you people who might disagree with me please dont come down on me I dont mean this in a bad way just trying to help a stressed out young Mum!!

Sound advice from a wise bird - will you come with me next time I fly :)

shepslady Apr 27th 2005 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by enilorac
Sound advice from a wise bird - will you come with me next time I fly :)

:) Love to Im sure especially if your heading to NZ :D

Don Apr 28th 2005 5:08 am

Done 4 of the Europe-NZ or return flights with my 2 monkeys. Can be a bit of a nightmare. You certainly can't enjoy the journey like in the old single days. ;)

DON'T EVEN THINK about using drugs on your kids unless they have a medical need.

You generally find that most other passengers are very kind and understanding; as for the grouch who scowls when your kid shouts & screams etc - just put him on ignore. Some old dears are usually more than happy to look after your kid for 10 mins, too.

You have to let them move around, nothing wrong with walking around the plane. Bring some distractions (which usually work for all of 5 mins :) ).

Stopovers and timing your flights to be night flights does help a lot.

Biddy Apr 28th 2005 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Don
Done 4 of the Europe-NZ or return flights with my 2 monkeys. Can be a bit of a nightmare. You certainly can't enjoy the journey like in the old single days. ;)

DON'T EVEN THINK about using drugs on your kids unless they have a medical need.

You generally find that most other passengers are very kind and understanding; as for the grouch who scowls when your kid shouts & screams etc - just put him on ignore. Some old dears are usually more than happy to look after your kid for 10 mins, too.

You have to let them move around, nothing wrong with walking around the plane. Bring some distractions (which usually work for all of 5 mins :) ).

Stopovers and timing your flights to be night flights does help a lot.

We've got 3 under 7 so I can sympathise with all those travelling with little dynamos. We've built in the ultimate stopover - 2 weeks in Orlando. The last leg to AKL should be peaceful as they will be soooo knackered! Well that's the plan anyway!

babybella Apr 28th 2005 9:07 am

Sarah,
I used phenegan on my then 7 and 4 year old flying from NZ to UK for a holiday (I was 7 months pregnant and insane). It was terrible stuff, they woke up so grumpy that I didn't bother with it on the way back.
The following year I took my 8 month old baby to the UK and used some homopathic mix, It had stuff like star flower and other things that I can't remember. It worked really well and he was lovely and calm, any homopath could make it up for you.
Good Luck
KAZ

babybella Apr 28th 2005 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Biddy
We've got 3 under 7 so I can sympathise with all those travelling with little dynamos. We've built in the ultimate stopover - 2 weeks in Orlando. The last leg to AKL should be peaceful as they will be soooo knackered! Well that's the plan anyway!

We looked at going through Orlando but it seemed really expensive. Do you mind me asking what airlines are you using.
Cheers
KAZ

Biddy Apr 28th 2005 9:28 am

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
We looked at going through Orlando but it seemed really expensive. Do you mind me asking what airlines are you using.
Cheers
KAZ

We've booked through Trailfinders - BA to Orlando, then 2 weeks later Quantas from Miami to LAX and on to AKL. We have to drive our hire car from Orlando to Miami and leave it there.
Flights are costing approx £550 adult and can't remember cost for kids (about £400?)

Hope this helps
Biddy

babybella Apr 28th 2005 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Biddy
We've booked through Trailfinders - BA to Orlando, then 2 weeks later Quantas from Miami to LAX and on to AKL. We have to drive our hire car from Orlando to Miami and leave it there.
Flights are costing approx £550 adult and can't remember cost for kids (about £400?)

Hope this helps
Biddy

That sounds great, I was trying to cost it through opodo and it was coming up at over £1,000 each. Sounds like a great trip, we went to Florida last Feb and had a ball.
Will try to send you some karma for the good info
Cheers
KAZ :)