Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Beware of recruitment agencies, namely.....

Beware of recruitment agencies, namely.....

Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:43 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beware of recruitment agencies, namely.....

Yep, that's a good idea, it's such a shame when people get taken advantage of like this. There are plenty of reputable agencies out there (that's how we found our first job in NZ) but as you say they charge the employer for the service.

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 13th 2008 at 1:52 am.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:51 am

One big con that was being worked at a well known employers in NZ came to light a while back, not sure if it made the news or not:

A person worked for the human resources department of a large employer in Auckland and regularly received CVs from people overseas looking for employment in NZ. This person's partner used to run a recruitment agency. Guess where the CVs were being syphoned off to?

Guess who then used to "sell" these applicants back to the unsuspecting employer for a very tidy fee thank you very much.

No one realised that this scam was being operated until one of the applicants began to ask questions as to how this CV had ended up with this recruitment agency and why it was being sent to the company he'd applied to in the first place. The company quickly put two and two together and sackings followed.

Just thought people would be interested to hear this.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:14 am

People in HR departments and recruitment agencies have a great deal of trust placed in them when you think about it, who knows what happens to the information you give them when submitting a speculative CV? . Just think of all the medical staff who contact hospitals enquiring about work for instance, what happens to their personal details? Is there any form of data protection act in force in NZ and does it cover printed as well as electronic records?.

Beside the obvious risk of identity fraud there is no telling where that information is going to end up and who will have access to it.

When we were going through this process a few years back my OH would have put all sorts of information on a CV and I had to ask him to be a bit more careful.

I know this is getting a bit off topic now but it is related:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to be a little bit cautious about just how much we give away to these agencies - especially full names, addresses, places and dates of birth, copies of passport/visas etc, bank account numbers etc. Perhaps a first name, an indication of your visa status and an email address would be enough?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:23 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Beside the obvious risk of identity fraud there is no telling where that information is going to end up and who will have access to it.

http://www.privacy.org.nz/the-privacy-act-and-codes/

as to whether it covers electronic stuff - i have no idea.

What I can say, however, is like anywhere if people sound legitimate and they know what proof/words to provide they can get any piece of information.

I used to have to ask nurses all sorts of information in a previous (UK) job about the health of patients in order to send carers out to them. I legitimately asked but, quite frankly, i didn't speak to the same nurse all the time therefore they didn't know my voice. But, i said the right words and got all the information. And sometimes i did not have to provide much information. Scary.

You are right about CV's. Don't provide too much information. Age, marital status, number of children, religious affiliation etc are generally irrelevant to the job.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice

There are good agencies and then there are the bad ones. The difference between them is how they see us. Some see us as clients as much as the employers while for the others we are just a CV. However I have never heard of an agency in NZ charging money for their services except for the fee which they charge to the employer.
There are companies which charge employees but these tend to offer services such as career counselling , coaching etc.

If a recruitment agency asks for money then just ignore them completely. And no decent agency would ever ask for a bank account.

As regards to CVs, it is important not to include certain info such as date of birth, marital status etc as this might lead to discrimination. However name and email address is surely not enough as the address of the candidate is crucial for them to know whether they are in already in NZ or not.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice. It will hopefully help someone who is considering using an agency.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:58 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nerine
People in HR departments and recruitment agencies have a great deal of trust placed in them when you think about it, who knows what happens to the information you give them when submitting a speculative CV? . Just think of all the medical staff who contact hospitals enquiring about work for instance, what happens to their personal details? Is there any form of data protection act in force in NZ and does it cover printed as well as electronic records?.

When we were going through this process a few years back my OH would have put all sorts of information on a CV and I had to ask him to be a bit more careful.

I know this is getting a bit off topic now but it is related:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to be a little bit cautious about just how much we give away to these agencies - especially full names, addresses, places and dates of birth, copies of passport/visas etc, bank account numbers etc. Perhaps a first name, an indication of your visa status and an email address would be enough?
This is why we feel so bothered about it, we odviously gave lots of info to C-------- , and copies of OH driving licence and all sorts, so there is always that worry of identity fraud, but we can only hope, that because so much has come to light about them, they will just go away and not surface again.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

Just been browsing Trucknet and they haven't been on there for ages either....
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:01 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I am probably stirring here, and hopefully not breaching any online rules but have you considered contacting the local paper, the Northern Advocate?

www.northernadvocate.co.nz
their general enquiries email is [email protected]

Who knows, they may like the local interest story your experience has provided. They might not. But they might....

oh, dont get me started on the winterless north. a phrase invented by the Northern Advocate according to their website. Load of hooey. Never seen so many frosts as when i used to go to Whangarei to see fambily. and i am from WELLINGTON. yikes. double yikes. though the weather is lovely most of the time
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can't change a leopards spots.....

Originally Posted by Marika 38
This is why we feel so bothered about it, we odviously gave lots of info to C-------- , and copies of OH driving licence and all sorts, so there is always that worry of identity fraud, but we can only hope, that because so much has come to light about them, they will just go away and not surface again.
It would be nice but......chances are they will resurface in a different guise.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:28 pm

Chances are that this is not the first time this sort of stunt has been pulled and it is quite likely to happen again.

If this "agency" was selling assistance with immigration issues then perhaps this issue should also be brought to the attention of NZIS in London?

I'd say hold off with going to the press incase it prejudices any formal investigation which may be instigated.

There could also be a more widespread fraud involved if, for instance (and I'm not saying this happened) the person running the agency was also employed in the HR dept of a large local employer in Whangarei/Northland.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can't change a leopards spots.....

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
It would be nice but......chances are they will resurface in a different guise.

I agree with this NG.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Posted in OZ as well.............

True story

A friend of mine (nice chap) employed the services of an agency for a job from South Africa to NZ in IT.

Everything seemed above board, the agency, for a huge fee (NZ$5000) arranged an interview with a well known NZ IT Company.

My friend checked out the web site, correct address, did some background research on the company and all above board.

He arrived in NZ, leaving his family in SA to wind up their affairs there, with a suitcase full of clothes and literally a few hundred dollars to his name, all that he could afford to bring as the rand v $ was very poor.

He stayed in a backpackers sharing a room with about 10 great unwashed.

At the due date and time he arrived at the company address, yes it was there, but...........they knew nothing of him.

There was no interview arranged and the company had never heard of the recruitment agency in question.

Likewise when my somewhat trusting friend tried to contact the agency they had done a runner.

My friend had a very hard lesson.

Fortunately he managed to find a temporary job as a barman and then a job in IT, bought his family over from SA and is now very happily content in NZ.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:40 am
Dreamfish's workhorse

dribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to alldribble is a name known to all

I probably missed the boat...

Registrant:
Sefton Billington (S2TSU) [email protected]
Digital Innovation
PO BOX 14252
Wellington, Wellington
New Zealand
Phone: +1 (004) 387-2899

Administrative Contact:
Digital Innovation Limited (WU4C5) [email protected]
PO BOX 14252
Wellington,
New Zealand
Phone: +64 99999999

Technical Contact:
Digital Innovation Limited (WREZL) [email protected]
PO BOX 14252
Wellington,
New Zealand
Phone: +64 99999999

Billing Contact:
Sefton Billington (S2TSU) [email protected]
Digital Innovation
PO BOX 14252
Wellington, Wellington
New Zealand
Phone: +1 (004) 387-2899

Record last updated on 2008-01-02 00:00:00
Record created on 2007-01-09 00:00:00
Record expires on 2009-01-09 00:00:00

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.elogo.co.nz 67.18.125.186
ns2.elogo.co.nz 67.18.125.187

Registration Service Provider: DiscountDomains.co.nz
[email protected]
+64 (3)3516713
digiweb.co.nz

Perhaps contact these guys as they registered the domain name... which means there would to have been a registered address and contact?

L
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:42 am

May be worth a try?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.