Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Better Primary Schools near Howick?

Better Primary Schools near Howick?

Old Apr 28th 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Adventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to all
Default Better Primary Schools near Howick?

Would love to get some positive or negative feedback/info from parents (or schoolkids) with recent experience or knowledge of the following primary schools.
We are hoping to move into the area shortly and just like to check on the schools- We have looked at the sites and also Ero reports, even visited a couple of them but always good to get some info from users if possible

We are especially keen to hear about:-

**The sports and physical activity facilities and programmes inc swimming/watersports, cricket etc..
**The standards generally of the teachers
**Also the standard and support of the parents.

Mellons Bay Primary
Cockle Bay Primary
Bucklands Beach Primary
Shelley Park Primary
Owairoa Primary
Macleans Primary
Howick Primary

Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Better Primary Schools near Howick?

Originally Posted by Adventurer
Would love to get some positive or negative feedback/info from parents (or schoolkids) with recent experience or knowledge of the following primary schools.
We are hoping to move into the area shortly and just like to check on the schools- We have looked at the sites and also Ero reports, even visited a couple of them but always good to get some info from users if possible

**The sports and physical activity facilities and programmes inc swimming/watersports, cricket etc..

Mellons Bay Primary
Cockle Bay Primary
Bucklands Beach Primary
Shelley Park Primary
Owairoa Primary
Macleans Primary
Howick Primary

Thanks
Hi Jacky here,I can give you my views on Cockle Bay School,My 7 year old is in years 3 there..

It is a fantastic school,the teachers are brilliant,head teacher is just so positive and fantastic with the kids,
they have there own swimming pool,during summer they swim 3 times a week..
everyday they go into school the first thing they all do is change into there sports kit as p.e is daily..and the kids do every sport you can think of..my son also goes to afterschool sports club(in the school)..during holidays (easter break just now)my son has been to a sports programme for the 2 week break..

Education wise,he is way more advanced now than the kids at his old school back in scotland,the work is better,and we cannot beleive the work he is doing now,and the things he knows...I can honestly say IMHO I cannot fault the school in anyway...

Shelly Park is also a good school,but has a bit of a reputation in the area as being very unfriendly,aparantly the parents aren't friendly and only interested in what you do or how much you earn..Have spoken to a couple of KIwi mums with kids at Shelley Park,and the general opinion is Cockle Bay is the better school...there are a few people on this website with kids at Bucklands Beach,I think they will give you there opinion of the school when they read this...Hope this helps
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

I think most of the primary schools in the area are good.My children are at Point View Primary and it also is a good school and has 4 male teachers which one is a dedicated tech teacher.We have just had built another climbing playground which is huge.We dont have a swimming pool but they do go swimming in the years.We have waterwise for year 6 which they kayak and sail at Howick Beach.They have soccer,rugby,netball teams for years 5/6.The only thing I would comment on is looking to see what schools follow on from the zones you chose as a primary school.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Adventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to all

Thanks very much for the 2 responses.

re Jacky I hope to visit cockle bay next week as we are interested in a property in their zone and within walking distance of the school. I was somewhat put off of cockle bay due to the large size of the school but your 'report' is glowing. We were rather keen on Mellons Bay, due to the apparent very good reputation of the school but we went to see them recently and were not too impressed with the personnel we met nor the information we received.

re Minky's response- yes schools after primary need to be taken into account but 8 to 10 years seems a long way off. We are led to believe that Bucklands beach intermediate and Macleans are somewhat superior to Somerville Inter and Howick College. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on this matter? We would hope that if we were in the Somerville/Howick zone that within the next 8 to 10 years they could improve themselves. Or is this just wishful thinking?

Although we look at the ero reports they nearly always seem to be much of a muchness for the schools we are looking at so although giving some reassurance about the make up of the families in the school by the decile level they do not seem to be of much more use.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks very much for the 2 responses.

re Jacky I hope to visit cockle bay next week as we are interested in a property in their zone and within walking distance of the school. I was somewhat put off of cockle bay due to the large size of the school but your 'report' is glowing. We were rather keen on Mellons Bay, due to the apparent very good reputation of the school but we went to see them recently and were not too impressed with the personnel we met nor the information we received.

re Minky's response- yes schools after primary need to be taken into account but 8 to 10 years seems a long way off. We are led to believe that Bucklands beach intermediate and Macleans are somewhat superior to Somerville Inter and Howick College. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on this matter? We would hope that if we were in the Somerville/Howick zone that within the next 8 to 10 years they could improve themselves. Or is this just wishful thinking?

Although we look at the ero reports they nearly always seem to be much of a muchness for the schools we are looking at so although giving some reassurance about the make up of the families in the school by the decile level they do not seem to be of much more use.
hi ,glad that information was of some help for you,hopefully Lisa(crosskaos)will read this post,she can give you first hand information of Bucklands Beach and Mc Leans ,her boys are at both of these schools...

The story goes that if your kids are academic then they will do well at McLeans College,if they are not great academics then Mc lLeans are not interested..(thats the general feeling in the area about McLeans)..

There is a high percentage of Asians that go there who are so focused on working,they expect all the other kids to be the same...and IMHO kiwi kids are more focused on the sport and just generaly well rounded kids...and I think thats why they don't really thrive at McLeans...Having said that they do the Cambridge Exam,and do have a good reputation...

Our daughter is more into her art, she is coming out with very high grades at Howick College,and she loves it...I think it depends on your child.I know she wouldn't enjoy McLeans..and i think coming to another country to live there has to be a social element to school also,and you want them to fit in....Crosskaos works at Mc Leans college so try and pm her for some info....

pm me if you want to pop in for coffee next week some time if you are in the area...I can even try to get Lisa down at the same time and we can chat about the area and schools..etc...Jacky
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

ldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant future

Hi Garry,
My daughter started at Mellons Bay Primary School in February of this year as a 5 year old. She loves it. The school is small (about 300 pupils) and has a very good decile rating. The teachers are attentive and friendly, and their playground has wonderful sea views! I would strongly recommend it. My son (nearly 4) will be going there when he turns 5 too.
Good luck with whatever you decide. All the schools in the area are good. My neice goes to Owairoa and is happy there, and I know children at Bucklands Beach and also at Point View. All of them are happy.
BTW, I heard the same about McLeans that if your children are not academic they won't be happy there.
Old May 1st 2008, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Katmat will become famous soon enoughKatmat will become famous soon enough

Mellons Bay Primary
Cockle Bay Primary
Bucklands Beach Primary
Shelley Park Primary
Owairoa Primary
Macleans Primary
Howick Primary

Thanks
Hi. My 2 kids (year 3 and 5) go to Bucklands Beach Primary. They both have fantastic teachers, and I, personally, have no complaints about the school. I have heard other mums, though, say they feel some of the teachers are way too tough on the kids and that there is a regimented feel at the school. I dont see this, myself. There is a great swimming pool, library, and loads of extra clubs the kids can join...dance, science, Chinese language, multi-sports and many more. My 2 are not sporty so cannot really comment on the sports facilities.

We chose this school based on advise from partners father who has lived in the area for 20+ years. The school does not have a zone, so it gave us freedom on where to live, but also happens to be in the same zone as Bucklands Beach Intermediate and McLeans, so we thought this would be good for continuity as they will stay with their friends throughout.

HTH

Sharon