British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Best way to Tauranga/Welcome Bay from Auckland?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/best-way-tauranga-welcome-bay-auckland-444255/)

lardyl Apr 23rd 2007 8:08 am

Best way to Tauranga/Welcome Bay from Auckland??

Hi all, got an early appointment in Welcome Bay on Tuesday.
Any ideas on the faster route heading south from Auckland - SH2 down the coast or 27, 24 and 29 over the Kaimai Mamaku Forest Park? :confused:
Any advice appreciated as I have to be there about 0930 and will soon be off to bed (in true Kiwi fashion!!), thanks LL

mazi Apr 23rd 2007 8:13 am

Re: Best way to Tauranga/Welcome Bay from Auckland??

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4683706)
Any ideas on the faster route heading south from Auckland - SH2 down the coast or 27, 24 and 29 over the Kaimai Mamaku Forest Park? :confused:
Any advice appreciated as I have to be there about 0930 and will soon be off to bed (in true Kiwi fashion!!), thanks LL

no idea

lardyl Apr 23rd 2007 8:14 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4683715)
no idea

neither has my GPS, other than it disagrees with google maps......thanks anyway :thumbup:

mazi Apr 23rd 2007 8:17 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4683719)
neither has my GPS, other than it disagrees with google maps......thanks anyway :thumbup:

we always went there via the Kaimais but we weren't coming from Auckland

lardyl Apr 23rd 2007 8:19 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4683723)
we always went there via the Kaimais but we weren't coming from Auckland

yeah, who'd want to?

suppose about 1.2mil JAFAs..........perhaps..........

mazi Apr 23rd 2007 8:26 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4683737)
yeah, who'd want to?

suppose about 1.2mil JAFAs..........perhaps..........

I can't believe you have so whole-heartedly taken on the 'JAFA' prejudice after such a short time in NZ. It's very depressing.

WHY?

helinuk Apr 23rd 2007 8:26 am

We went via the 2. stopped in Paroa then through to Katikati and down the coast. Our friends suggested we use the 27 - A good road - when we returned to Auckland.

mazi Apr 23rd 2007 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4683757)
I can't believe you have so whole-heartedly taken on the 'JAFA' prejudice after such a short time in NZ. It's very depressing.

WHY?

By the way, that wasn't supposed to be too harsh a comment, but I do find it depressing.

lardyl Apr 23rd 2007 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4683757)

WHY?

was joking and couldn't think of a short phrase to describe Aucklanders - perhaps "Aucklanders" would have done.......

But if I wasn't joking then that would be more fun I suppose.....???

lardyl Apr 23rd 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4683774)
By the way, that wasn't supposed to be too harsh a comment, but I do find it depressing.

no worries, I like Aucklanders in the main, its just the mad drivers that drive me mad............OMG I'm turning into one myself....... :p

lardyl Apr 23rd 2007 8:32 am

Originally Posted by helinuk (Post 4683761)
We went via the 2. stopped in Paroa then through to Katikati and down the coast. Our friends suggested we use the 27 - A good road - when we returned to Auckland.

thanks, will try 27 (google's route rather than Garmins....) - unless anyone can suggest otherwise.....

mazi Apr 23rd 2007 8:36 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4683776)
was joking and couldn't think of a short phrase to describe Aucklanders - perhaps "Aucklanders" would have done.......

But if I wasn't joking then that would be more fun I suppose.....???

That's ok, then - but why do you now want to butcher the language with shortened words?!:p

lardyl Apr 23rd 2007 8:39 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4683810)
That's ok, then - but why do you now want to butcher the language with shortened words?!:p

just a kinda online thing to do, and I'm a bit thick and very tired at the moment!! nite nite.......

Herm Apr 23rd 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4683706)

As far as I am concerned best, shortest, quickest route is SH2 via Ngatea, Paeroa, Waihi, Katikati and in to Tauranga. Depends exactly where in Auckland your leaving from but should only take 2 to 2 1/2 hours max.

Cheers

mazi Apr 23rd 2007 8:51 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4683828)
just a kinda online thing to do, and I'm a bit thick and very tired at the moment!! nite nite.......

Ah, that explains it...night:)