Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best things to do in the first week

Best things to do in the first week

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:56 am
Just Joined

richardsimister1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best things to do in the first week

Landed today - any recommendations on what to do in the first week? I need to persuade my girlfriend that this was a good idea!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best things to do in the first week

Eat some Afghans (the biscuits)
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:09 am
Just Joined

richardsimister1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds interesting.....

I'm in Auckland so any help would be appreciated
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Few beer sat outside on Vulcan Lane, off Queen St, then visit Sals Pizzas.

Pick a beach on the West Coast and go, if you pick the right beach you'll be the only ones there. 1.5 million people in Auckland and you can have a beach to yourselves.

Get chatting to the locals, they're a friendly bunch.

Don't go to Pak n Save.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

yorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the rough

The sky tower is great so you can get your bearings. You can also jump on the ferry and go over to Waiheki island for the day. Where abouts in Auckland are you staying ?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Go to The White Lady burger stand, Hawaiian burger is good i hear. Or go to Karangahape Road in the evening, and look at some of the eccentric characters, plus there is a good kebab place called Little Turkey
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:25 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardsimister1983
Landed today - any recommendations on what to do in the first week? I need to persuade my girlfriend that this was a good idea!
A weekend's shopping in Melbourne?

Catch the ferry over to Rangitoto and walk to the top, dine out in Takapuna for the evening, breakfast at the cafe at Muriwai Beach and mountain bike at Woodhill. Ski or toboggan at Silverdale.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds interesting.....

I'm in Auckland so any help would be appreciated
Go up the Sky Tower in good weather (clear) and find a really decent coffee in a cafe and make it your local.

Definitely go to a large New World rather than a Pak n Save.

Take her to the shops on Queen Street (not that wonderful but I didn't find any others).
Eat out at a Restaurant in Viaduct Basin or whatever it is called where the yachts are.

Go to the Zoo if she likes animals (it is very big).

Last edited by luvwelly; Dec 3rd 2011 at 5:31 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Skipton, North Yorkshire to Auckland North Shore
Kiteboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Take her to some of the beaches.
The beaches out west are awesome in a rugged way, with a great drive to piha and kare kare. The beaches on the east are more your typical turquoise water and golden sand.

The weather is turning crap as of sunday but I've heard it will go good again mid week.

Owen
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Take ferry to Devonport, browse around the wee shops, have breakfast or brunch in a cafe, take a walk along the front and up North Head (the big hill) and see the views.. by then you'll be ready to head back for a yummy ice cream.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I'd sleep the jetlag off but then I'm old and boring......
do your outdoors stuff Sunday as it's gonna rain Monday to Wednesday
whilst it's raining go up to the War Memorial Museum and immerse yourself in all things cultural
in between showers wander to the west coast beaches if you like bracing or the other beaches if you fancy a stroll and dipping your toes
make sure the weather is good when you go up the skytower
get a ferry to somewhere like devonport or one of the islands depending on weather - devonport has some history and some cafes the islands don't
or even if it's wet head up to the hot pools at waiwera or parakai, the former is more up-market and you have chill there or be pampered.

that should do the first week
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 7:36 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.facebook.com/ChemistryNZ

Have fun!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Read the local papers plus the NZ Herald - that gets you into the rhythm of things, and also talls you about what's going on. I agree about not going to Pac 'n Save. Our first visit to one was a great shock and we wondered what the hell we were doing in a place which couldn't even afford to supply carrier bags. I remember standing there in front of the check-out girl and just being gob-smacked at the way the food was thrown into the battling rams they have for trolleys.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:43 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

go for a meal and wine along the harbour
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:12 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
I'd sleep the jetlag off but then I'm old and boring......
do your outdoors stuff Sunday as it's gonna rain Monday to Wednesday
oooppps ----- got that one WRONG

a lesson in the unpredictability of NZ (and Auckland) weather.......