Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Best thing about living in NZ?

The Best thing about living in NZ?

Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

nellyboo will become famous soon enoughnellyboo will become famous soon enough
Default The Best thing about living in NZ?

What is the best thing that you guys have found about living in nz?

as i have read so many + and - and im intrigued!!!

cheers guys.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:22 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: The Best thing about living in NZ?

I can't really nominate any one thing, but if I had to choose, for us it's a place where my small family feels at home.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Less people.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nellyboo
What is the best thing that you guys have found about living in nz?

as i have read so many + and - and im intrigued!!!

cheers guys.
Its not crowded!!!! Well its not in Palmerston North anyways. NZ feels a bit behind the rest of the world, I find that rather charming. We are far better off than we were in the Uk in terms of time worked, quality of life generally and having more spare money each month. We live in a house and a neighbourhood we could never have in the UK.

Traffic jams are almost non existant in our part of the world, life is at a nice, slow pace and people really do appear to be less stressed than those I lived around in my previous choice of home.

NZ has a whole bunch of issues like anywhere else, it just seems that everyday life is way easier here than it was in the old country. I am no happier (life's is more cruisey though) than I was before just fairly content to call this home for the next 20 years!
Old Sep 1st 2007, 12:22 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Relaxed attitude to work and life.
The space and congestion varies, but even in Auckland people are not so in your face, certainly not on the street, and not so pushy at work!
Old Sep 1st 2007, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that I am no longer a slave to work - I work but it is less stressed and I get home at a time where I can have a life outside of work.

The people

And that I can escape the city and get out to a beach or the countryside quickly.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

KrazyKid is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i'm 11 and have been in new zealand for about 3-4 months.
so far i think the best parts are everybody's kind and helpful.the second best thing is that everybody is sporty outgoing and active!!
Old Sep 1st 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

All the Kiwis I've met and work with just accepted us, no worries about nationality (apart from the inevitable piss taking, but then they get as good as they give!). I've made some good friends here amongst them, and amongst the ex-pats from this site and from work.
Also, it's the first place we have lived where we felt at home enough to buy a house!
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
All the Kiwis I've met and work with just accepted us, no worries about nationality (apart from the inevitable piss taking, but then they get as good as they give!). I've made some good friends here amongst them, and amongst the ex-pats from this site and from work.
Also, it's the first place we have lived where we felt at home enough to buy a house!

After living in Scotland for 14 years the Kiwi idea of a piss take of a Pom is like a walk in the park!

The best thing about NZ - can't say - it's all so much better, here's a couple of examples:

Took the kids to Mt Hutt today for a half day ski, got there bang on 12:30 and then the lifts closed at 12:45 due to the high winds. We still played around on the skis and the magic carpet for 2 hours then got a full refund!! And we had the benefit of seeing the magnificent Rakaia Gorge and the whole of the Canterbury Plains! Awesome

Went for a walk after tea, walked past a group of teens and got a cheery 'how are you' from them, no 'hoodies' and trepidation as we walked past, just friendliness. Got to love it.

First day of Spring and its shorts weather again. Roll on summer.....
Old Sep 1st 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Woodlea
After living in Scotland for 14 years the Kiwi idea of a piss take of a Pom is like a walk in the park!
Aah yes, the Scottish sense of emancipation! King Edward has a lot to answer for doesn't he?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by KrazyKid
hi i'm 11 and have been in new zealand for about 3-4 months.
so far i think the best parts are everybody's kind and helpful.the second best thing is that everybody is sporty outgoing and active!!
Hi

My son is 11 also how have you found fitting into school. he starts at Cambridge middle school next week an a bit nervous

Jan
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:36 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaybirdjan
Hi

My son is 11 also how have you found fitting into school. he starts at Cambridge middle school next week an a bit nervous

Jan
Hi Jan
I think Andrew has been chatting to Alex on the youth club re schools etc. Andrew was really excited about starting school and wondered if he'd fit in and I was really nervous about the kids coming home from their first day and saying they hated it! But they came home all smiles having made heaps of friends and were just accepted from day 1. Hope Alex finds the same.
Best wishes, Mandie xx