British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   best schools in ChCh...?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/best-schools-chch-645110/)

strawbie Dec 16th 2009 8:28 pm

best schools in ChCh...??

I know there have been similar threads before, but to be honest i didnt pay much attention due to our move not being iminent. But, now its looking like we'll hopefully be leaving end of Feb i think its about time to do some more indepth research!! We have a 10yr old, 5yr old and 2yr old and want to be about 20-30min drive from Christchurch-not for work purposes but our son trains with a swim team here 5nights a week and hopefully will continue this in NZ at 'JellyPark'. We're open as to where we live but have looked a little on-line into Rangiora and Kaipoi and the schools there, which we've heard good and bad about!! Any suggestions?? many thanks, :thumbsup:

Watt Dabney Dec 16th 2009 9:31 pm

Re: best schools in ChCh...??

Originally Posted by strawbie (Post 8178168)
I know there have been similar threads before, but to be honest i didnt pay much attention due to our move not being iminent. But, now its looking like we'll hopefully be leaving end of Feb i think its about time to do some more indepth research!! We have a 10yr old, 5yr old and 2yr old and want to be about 20-30min drive from Christchurch-not for work purposes but our son trains with a swim team here 5nights a week and hopefully will continue this in NZ at 'JellyPark'. We're open as to where we live but have looked a little on-line into Rangiora and Kaipoi and the schools there, which we've heard good and bad about!! Any suggestions?? many thanks, :thumbsup:

This is always such a thorny question. One mans treasure is another mans trash and all that jazz.

I lived in Kaiapoi for 5yrs, loved the place, not so much the schools. My kids are both very academic. They went to Kaiapoi Borough, nice school, nice staff, family feel, but they just didn't push my kids enough. My kids were well behaved and got good grades so the fact they were capable of more with a bit of a push from the teacher was ignored with a bit of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude.
I took my son out for grade 7-8 and out him in Cobham Intermediate (next to Jelly park). Great school, and they really pushed him, and it worked wonders. The only reason I got an out of zone place is because its an intermediate which lots of people don't bother with, I would have stood no chance of getting him an out of zone place for Burnside High, we would have had to move into town.

If you kids are average academically there is nothing wrong with Kaiapoi schools, and by the way Kaiapoi has an aquatic center, where the Kaiapoi swim team train alot, they are quite competative i believe.

If your kids are capable of high things academically, in my opinion you need to live in the zone for Burnside High, check out the primarys tho around there cause there is quite a mix.

This is just my experience, others may have found things different. I have been gone 2yrs now and things may have changed in that time.

TeamEmbo Dec 16th 2009 10:17 pm

There's QEII, Kaiapoi and the new Dudley Pool in Rangiora (should be open soon) so you don't have to travel as far as Jelly Park.

In Rangiora there are lots of Kindys. Primary schools are Ashgrove, Rangiora Borough, Southbrook and St Josephs (Catholic). You have to live within the zone for each of these to attend. The high school is Rangiora High. There are no intermediate schools in Rangiora so primary is from years 0-8, years 7 & 8 being equivalent of intermediate. High school starts year 9 (age 13+).

There is also Rangiora New Life School, state integrated (semi-private) so fees payable to attend, Christian school which takes from ages 5-18. Currently a role of 320 but that's been increased recently by 80 (or 100? can't remember which!).

You'll hear good and bad about all the schools, same as anywhere really! Best to look round once you have decided where you want to live. Intake is year round as kids start on their 5th birthday (though can be as late as age 6). It's all fairly laid back, just rock up to each school, ask for a look round and they can usually start next day or so.

CAN2NZ Dec 17th 2009 5:33 am

If you are going to be at Jelly Park, I would suggest living in the Westburn School zone. Westburn offers a very broad and deep program for students. The school is well run and managed with a great Principal and staff. There is a close relationship with the College of Education and a fantastic music program. The school offers a good sporting program too. I would also suggest the Merrin school and Burnside Primary.

I did read you want to be within 30 minutes of Chch. I won't go over the other suggestions, but I would consider the driving if I were you. Petrol is $1.66/l. You may also appreciate the less amount of time in the car and your child may be old enough to ride his bike to Jelly park pool in the brigher times of the year.