Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best route to entry

Best route to entry

Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future
Red face Best route to entry

Morning all, a question about the best, fastest, most economic route to entry.

We are travelling out for a reccie on 3rd May and we are both looking for jobs. I already have 5 interviews set up, more to follow. I have calculated my points based on having a job offer and I would have 210.

My husband has an interview with the new zealand police having been a serving officer in the UK for 14 years, but also wants to look at other sectors, opportunities. If he has a job offer from the police then he would have 125 points, but he has no basic qualifications or experience in other sectors so if he goes for anything else he'll dip below 100.

So is the best route for him to apply on the back of my entry and the same for the 2 kids.

What I want to achieve is that we all arrive together within a reasonable amount of time of receiving a job offer.

A recruiter I spoke to said that once I get a job offer they could organise the work permit within a week and that would include all the family to accompany me. But that doesn't seem to be help up on the immigration web sites and certainly the timescales seem wide of the mark.

Any advice gratefully received.

Nisey xx
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best route to entry

Originally Posted by Nisey

We are travelling out for a reccie on 3rd May and we are both looking for jobs. I already have 5 interviews set up, more to follow. I have calculated my points based on having a job offer and I would have 210.

My husband has an interview with the new zealand police having been a serving officer in the UK for 14 years, but also wants to look at other sectors, opportunities. If he has a job offer from the police then he would have 125 points, but he has no basic qualifications or experience in other sectors so if he goes for anything else he'll dip below 100.

So is the best route for him to apply on the back of my entry and the same for the 2 kids.

What I want to achieve is that we all arrive together within a reasonable amount of time of receiving a job offer.

A recruiter I spoke to said that once I get a job offer they could organise the work permit within a week and that would include all the family to accompany me. But that doesn't seem to be help up on the immigration web sites and certainly the timescales seem wide of the mark.

Any advice gratefully received.

Nisey xx
we are taking the work permit route and doing it through an emigration agent. He said the best would be 4 weeks and it would include all the family travelling too. You have to have the job offer in writing I believe and then once you arrive in NZ you can then apply for residence. The agent will do this for us also.
Hope this helps a little

Karen
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Thanks,

Sorry more questions?

Does that include a work permit for spouse, or on a visitor basis???

Is that all on one application or one for each person?

Denise
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Thanks,

Sorry more questions?

Does that include a work permit for spouse, or on a visitor basis???

Is that all on one application or one for each person?

Denise
Hi denise,
It includes the work visa for hubby and the rest of us can go as family through him. The application will be done altogether.
He will be charging us £600 but if you want him to get you a job offer its £1200. That is for the whole family.
Any more questions fire away.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Personally I would not use a rip off easy money agent to do what we did so easy and cheaper ourselves .Just get up the confidence to do some research +apply for jobs on the Internet or come over for a reccy like we did combined with a holiday and ask around .We did it all on the internet and phone and saved a fortune in fees .
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:30 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cherry
Personally I would not use a rip off easy money agent to do what we did so easy and cheaper ourselves .Just get up the confidence to do some research +apply for jobs on the Internet or come over for a reccy like we did combined with a holiday and ask around .We did it all on the internet and phone and saved a fortune in fees .
Its easy to do your self. We used an agent first time and cost 2K. This time we did it our self. If your hubby gets a work permit you will too as well as the kids. In my case i had a work permit tied to my employer but my wife had an open one and the kids had scholar ones. Just do what you need to get in. Work to residency is how we did it but had to come back to the UK. We reapplied and now have PR. Once you get your PR you can work for any one. So hubby can change jobs later if he likes. Best of luck.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Its more the other way around with us. I will be the one getting all the points and applying for the visa and bringing them all with me. My husband doesn't have the points to apply in his own right.(or do points only count for EOI and not for work permits)

On the website it suggests you need to apply seperately for work permits, but you can apply as a family for residency. When you apply, do you make a link someway between the applications.

Is anyone else slightly obsessive about detail the same way as me!! my husband is much more laissez fair about the whole thing

Nisey
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Its more the other way around with us. I will be the one getting all the points and applying for the visa and bringing them all with me. My husband doesn't have the points to apply in his own right.(or do points only count for EOI and not for work permits)

On the website it suggests you need to apply seperately for work permits, but you can apply as a family for residency. When you apply, do you make a link someway between the applications.

Is anyone else slightly obsessive about detail the same way as me!! my husband is much more laissez fair about the whole thing

Nisey
you get quite a few points for a job offer but I think basically if its a job that is skilled and they cant find someone from NZ to fill it I think you would be ok 'getting there'

we are using an agent because its takes a load off of us and in the scheme of things £600 is not a lot to know its all being sorted. Also it would be me sorting it rather than my OH, hes useless at that sort of thing and just goes with the flow expecting everything to materialise in front of him.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds very familiar, OH has panics about the move and I point out that if he had done as much research as me and be on top of everything that is going on he'd feel more comfortable about it.

Bless them...........
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds very familiar, OH has panics about the move and I point out that if he had done as much research as me and be on top of everything that is going on he'd feel more comfortable about it.

Bless them...........
it amazes me how my OH is in management where he has to discipline people and give instructions, yet he wont pick up the phone to enquire about somethin or go into a shop to take something back. Its like when he takes off his shirt and tie from work he turns into a disolving mess on the floor.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:24 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Say no more. You have 210 points! You should be sweet as, well as long as you are able to verify things. Once granted PR your family gets PR as well. They will have no restrictions. As the principle applicant you will probably be tied to your sponsoring employer for three months but after that you can apply to have the restriction taken off. After that you are fairly much able to work where you want at whatever you can find.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:06 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,
We have gone through a recruitment agency as we found it alot cheaper in the long run. We were tied to coming at Easter because of me working in a school so the airfares were going to be very expensive, then accomodation ,carhire, fuel, living , sightseeing, etc, would have been a very expensive trip. The way we saw it was the trip wouldn't change our minds about coming to live in Nz, and until you live in a place we felt you can't the real feel for a place. So we are taking the plunge and once the job offer comes we'll apply for a works visa and we'll all come on that, then apply for P.R, once we are all settled and secure in jobs. The agency gets a job with an accredited employer so thats a good thing when applying for your visa.
Let us know how it all goes for you,, Good luck with all your plans.
Marika
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

work visa and permit

Its not about points if you wish to apply for a work visa. For a work visa you must have a job offer in place first.
It is job offer first and then work visa/permit . Not the other way round.
Once you have your job offer NZIS will want to know that you have the qualifications and work experience to do the job.
If the job is not on their long-term shortage list nor on their immediate shortage list , then the NZ employer will have to prove to NZIS that there is no Kiwi person to do the job. Once they have shown this to be true then you will get an Approval in Principle and be awarded your work visa.
For a two year work visa - its called a work permit if you are already in NZ. - you will need police checks and medicals.

If you do have a job offer, then you can simply take your paperwork and visa application to NZIS house in London . They will prioritize the application according to employment start dates. NZIS like to accomodate the NZ employer when they can.
Our own work visa came back within a couple of weeks of lodging it at NZIS house in London.

There was just one application to do. My husband was main applicant as he had the job offer. I was granted an 'open' work permit on the back of his .
That meant I could take any job once in NZ.

You don't do an application each. It's just the one.

If you have already travelled over to New Zealand on a visitors visa but have found a full-time job offer,the same rules as above apply but you simply take in your application form , documents and quals etc to NZIS house in Welling, Christchurch etc. They will process the application extremely quickly to get you working.
The form is quite simple to fill in. The trick is to have all the relevant documentation with you and attached properly to the form. The NZIS staff are very helpful in this respect.

At NZIS house in London , they will go through your application with you to make sure its all present and correct.

Of course, if you have travelled out to NZ on a visitors visa you will need to have bought return NZ/UK air tickets.
You should not bring your worldly goods isnto the country until your work visa/permit is in place as there will be a levy otherwise.
Your kids cannot start school until you have the work visa .

If you have been here on a reccy and gone back to the UK with a job offer, then process that in the UK. Its quick and simple really.
You can then purchase one way tickets.
Start the kids at school
and get that container of your stuff sent to NZ straight away.

With a work visa though, you don't get the extra luggage allowance.

The application form for a work visa and permit is not that scarey - honest !

Make sure you get your certificates verified .
If in the UK you can use a circuit judge or a solicitor or a notary. Get them all done at the same time - its cheaper that way.

Have your police checks to hand.

If you are doing this in NZ , then it will all be cheaper.
Medicals are certainly cheaper.
You can use a justice of the peace to have your certificates 'certified' for your visa application. That is free.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Do it yourself. We used an agent-big regret-we could so do with the money.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Acredited Employer This is an employer that has proven to NZIS that they have a real need for migrants to fill their jobs.
The employer will have lodged this with NZIS and been accepted.
Anyone can apply for a job with an 'accredited' employer provided they have the necessary skills and experience.

You can either apply for a work visa/permit or go straight to an EOI expression of interest which you fill in on-line to apply for PR Permanent Residency.

Here is the list of ACCREDITED EMPLOYERS.Its in alphabetical order. Just page through the next button to move through the list.

Your job offer should have the following:-

Your offer of employment must be current at the time we assess your application for a work visa or permit, and must include:

* the employer’s name, address and contact details
* your name and address
* the job title or designation
* the address of the place of employment
* the type of work, duties and responsibilities of the job
* details of the pay and conditions of employment, such as sick or holiday leave
* qualifications and experience requirements
* confirmation of whether or not registration in New Zealand is required
* the duration of the job
* how long the job offer is open for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.