Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The best places to visit in New Zealand

The best places to visit in New Zealand

Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:32 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best places to visit in New Zealand

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
I think you still need a job offer for work to res. and we're too old for a working holiday one

Work to residence cut off is 55 and looking at your pics I'd say you've got a long way to go, either that or i should've gone to specsavers!!!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:49 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GowHow
North Island highlights for me were

Bay of Islands - take the boat ride through the hole in the rock
Giant Kauri Trees in Northland forests - just awesome
Coromondel peninsula coastal drive and narrow guage railway in coromondel town
Rotarua was good, but a bit smelly
Napier was good, but I felt a bit young (full of retirees)
Huka Falls - helluva lot of water going very fast!
Tongariro National Park. We only managed to climb up Mt. Ruapehu but the views were awesome (see pic on who are we talking to thread)

Read my blog for a bit more info on what we managed on our trip
Huka Falls last week. (That's if we could get these pics loaded)
Attached Thumbnails The best places to visit in New Zealand-dscn1114.jpg   The best places to visit in New Zealand-dscn1115.jpg  
Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:52 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
You can almost feel the force from those pictures

No then Obi Wan do you have anymore lovely piccy's from your little exped?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:12 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
You can almost feel the force from those pictures

No then Obi Wan do you have anymore lovely piccy's from your little exped?

Cape Maria Bay and Cape Reinga
Attached Thumbnails The best places to visit in New Zealand-dscn0837.jpg   The best places to visit in New Zealand-dscn0843.jpg  
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:37 pm
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

thats the place. Makes you wanna jump in with a rubber ring. You'd only get to do it once though....
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:05 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Cape Maria Bay and Cape Reinga
Cheer Obi Wan

I can just picture Pixie-Dust set up with her 2 donkey's charging $2 a ride with her "Kiss me quick" hat on just there

Looks great. Was it?

Post more pix
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:05 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Southerner apart from the BOI theyre all in South island. Owt up norf?

Nowt - but they do have some nice beaches in parts, but nothing compared to Abel Tasman, Catlins or Stewart Island.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by southerner
Nowt - but they do have some nice beaches in parts, but nothing compared to Abel Tasman, Catlins or Stewart Island.
Thought you might say that

If we move over then I think we will have to have a good old meander round the South Island. Looks stunning but a little too cold for me to live in
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:20 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Work to residence cut off is 55 and looking at your pics I'd say you've got a long way to go, either that or i should've gone to specsavers!!!
I think I need to send her over, let her sort a job then, move the gubbins down. Oh, and you say the sweetest things
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:11 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you might say that

If we move over then I think we will have to have a good old meander round the South Island. Looks stunning but a little too cold for me to live in
Define "too cold".

Stats show that the temps and sunshine hours are better in NZ main centres compared to all UK cities.

People lose sight of the fact that the warmest parts of NZ are in the south, as well as the coldest. Its also hard to dispute the view that Nelson and Marlborough have the best overall climates of anyway in the country. I personally find northern part of North Island too sticky (and rainy) for my liking, but I concede that you would probably get used to that.

You also tend to get more distinct seasons the further south you go, something I like.

But I should shut up now, I don't want to encourage any more population down these parts.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 6:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by southerner
Define "too cold".

Stats show that the temps and sunshine hours are better in NZ main centres compared to all UK cities.

People lose sight of the fact that the warmest parts of NZ are in the south, as well as the coldest. Its also hard to dispute the view that Nelson and Marlborough have the best overall climates of anyway in the country. I personally find northern part of North Island too sticky (and rainy) for my liking, but I concede that you would probably get used to that.

You also tend to get more distinct seasons the further south you go, something I like.

But I should shut up now, I don't want to encourage any more population down these parts.
I agree the stats show hottest days and lowest rainfail lower down the country. But it is the lows I dont like. Anyway I hate change so one long season is right up my street
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:50 am
Banned

Come on where else is there?
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default The best places to visit in New Zealand

There is always Pakiri Beach, where one can go horse riding.

We went there as Baby Nice Girl used to be horse mad, all of the family booked up for a neddy ride along the beach.

It was a hot day when we went and the beach was/is spectacular and almost totally deserted. I think there must be silicone or some other reflective substance in the sand on the beach as there were perfect reflections in the sand as it glistened.

I asked for an old nag as it has been some years since I have mounted (!) a horse, I found out his given name, an indigenous name actually meant ‘Run-like-the-Wind’ and he was a fast mother.

But beautiful scenery, wonderful beach and if you like that sort of thing great horses as well.

Last edited by Nice Guy; Dec 2nd 2006 at 10:31 am. Reason: Another bloody spilling mistake!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:07 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

We had our first visitors from Ireland last week. They were with us for 5 days and are at this moment making their way around some part of the South Island in a camper van. We were tourists whilst they were here and it was brilliant! We went to Kelly Tarlton's, Sky Tower, drove 7 hours to Cape Reinga on Sunday and then back again to spend the night with some lovely, lovely people who promised donkeys but didn't deliver On Monday we went to Waitangi and then took the ferry from Pahia to Russell. We finally arrived back in Auckland at 6pm on Monday - shell shocked but happy Here's a few pics

Hubby at Sky Tower

Carved house at Waitangi

Russell

Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:07 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Couple more

Cape Reinga

One of my favourite's from Kelly Tarlton's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.