British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Best place to rent in Wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/best-place-rent-wellington-543414/)

pumpkinlou Jun 17th 2008 9:03 am

Best place to rent in Wellington

:)

Hi Guys,

I am about to book a rental for when we arrive in Wellington, but need a bit of help on the best area and how long to rent for?

We are hoping to settle somewhere along the Kapiti Coast (I like the sound of all the towns!!). As OH is in IT I guess he will most likely be working in the CBD. He will be having interviews when we arrive in October SO, any advice on areas to rent, and also how long do you think I should rent for initially bearing in mind we wont have seen the rental??? The more I research, the more confused I am! :unsure:

Ta very much

Lou
xx

simonmarkellis Jun 17th 2008 9:58 am

Re: Best place to rent in Wellington

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 6473951)

Hi Guys,

I am about to book a rental for when we arrive in Wellington, but need a bit of help on the best area and how long to rent for?

We are hoping to settle somewhere along the Kapiti Coast (I like the sound of all the towns!!). As OH is in IT I guess he will most likely be working in the CBD. He will be having interviews when we arrive in October SO, any advice on areas to rent, and also how long do you think I should rent for initially bearing in mind we wont have seen the rental??? The more I research, the more confused I am! :unsure:

Ta very much

Lou
xx

Hi Lou,

I'd be inclined to line up a holiday rental for a week or two and get on the books of some rental agents or via trademe and sort out some viewings for properties when you get here, That way you 'll get a idea for what you want and a better idea for how long you'l want it for...

Simon

pumpkinlou Jun 17th 2008 12:10 pm

Ok, Thanks Simon. Will check out some holiday rentals.

Lou

Yummy_Mummy Jun 17th 2008 1:23 pm

Hey Lou

I was having a look at this just last week. Furnished holiday houses in Paraparaumu.

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/7907.asp

This one is available for the rest of the year.
Good luck in finding one.

C xxx

ScottyD Jun 17th 2008 1:40 pm

The Kapiti coast has a good selection of holiday lets, don't be put off by the price advertised on the websites, if you are arriving out of season and can commit to a month or more the owners are open to negotiate a reasonable rate.

We've committed to a holiday let on the Kapiti coast for 8 weeks when we arrive in Sept, we figured it's going to take this long for our container to arrive and it gives us time to do our homework on the areas we want to live and find a longer term rental.

We'll be there the same time as you - my OH starts his new job in October!

Mrs ScottyD

pumpkinlou Jun 17th 2008 7:18 pm

oooh! Hello Mrs ScottyD!

It's so exciiting isn't it!

Are you going to have your furniture delivered to your holiday let then? Or put into storage. Apparently the shippers need an address. So I wasn't sure what to do. Will your Oh be working in the CBD? My hubby will most likely, but doesn't want to commute too far.

Sorry for all the questions!!

Lou
x

pumpkinlou Jun 17th 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy (Post 6474789)
Hey Lou

I was having a look at this just last week. Furnished holiday houses in Paraparaumu.

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/7907.asp

This one is available for the rest of the year.
Good luck in finding one.

C xxx

:thumbsup:

Cheers yummy-mummy. Will definitely check that out.

Lou
xx

gemmawardell Jun 17th 2008 9:22 pm

Hi scottyd, where abouts are you staying on the Kapiti coast and what company have you gone through? We're looking to be in Wellington towards the end of Sept for OH to start work in october!A bit awkward for us looking as we have two dogs in tow!:unsure:

leedge Jun 17th 2008 11:26 pm

Hi,

I also arrived with two dogs booked on a flight four weeks later, which gave me that long to find a dog-friendly rental.

We didn't originally intend to live up on the coast, but I looked at some fairly nasty rentals in town before I found an almost new, really nice place in Paraparaumu through Ray White, who were helpful and had a few dog-friendly places. Try http://rwparaparaumu.co.nz/cgi-bin/c...e=RR&gid=23694. You might want to make sure the tenancy is monthly renewable rather than go for a 12 month fixed term. If you decide to buy a place here it can all happen *very* quickly and you could end up having to find a new tenant or covering the rent until its re-let

We liked it so much that we bought a place in Raumati South :thumbsup:. Kapiti is generally more dog friendly that Wellington city centre, especially at the Paekakariki or Raumati end, where you have easy access to Queen Elizabeth Park with lots of space to walk them.

If you're going to travel by train, I'd be wary of Waikanae or anywhere further north - they're planning to electrify and run normal commuter trains to Waikanae, but that's a couple of years off and until then there's only one train/day to Waikanae, otherwise it's bus from Paraparaumu.

If you want to get a feel for how good the bus/train services are take a look at www.metlink.co.nz

JasonSouthYorks Jun 18th 2008 7:38 am

Gemma and Mrs ScottyD
Tell me to mind my own business if you want, but I've got a feeling that both of your other halves may be starting work at the same place in October.
I think I may have seen you both on another forum.!!;)

ScottyD Jun 18th 2008 9:22 am

Good Detective work!

OH will be in Porirua initially, so we have found a place in Paraparaumu Beach.
We've commited to 8 weeks coz it gives us a fixed address to work with while we're getting ourselves sorted out when we first arrive. We looked at all sorts of websites, many of them have the same properties listed (sometimes with different rates, so worth surfing around a bit!).

We hope to find somewhere long term that we can move into at the end of this period and have our container delivered to, so if it arrives a bit earlier we'll put it into storage for a couple of weeks, our shipping company has quoted us pretty good rates for this if we need it.

If you decide to find something in the same area, you must let me know and we can arrange to meet up when we arrive! PM me!

Mrs ScottyD

gemmawardell Jun 18th 2008 12:48 pm

:thumbsup:LOL:thumbsup:

Yes we are both on the other forum , but thses things are addictive!You get to learn so much from so many different people not just the people you are going to work with/for!
Scottyd, I will pm you and let you know where we end up, got an e-mail back from an estate agent today saying that no one will let us rent a house with a staffordshire bull terrier. Apparently they have had so much bad press that no one wants them in their houses even if you are a responsable owner!:(
So i'll have to do some more shopping around me thinks...

klicker Jun 19th 2008 1:22 pm

Hi everybody !!:) Does anybody have any info about renting/living in Seatoun ?? Need somewhere to live close to wellington, hubs works there and am thinking about my son going to wellington high and we would have to be living in the zone ??!! Hubs workplace and wellington high are in the same road, so it would be perfect !!

Kiwiprincess Jun 19th 2008 11:09 pm

Seatoun - lovely but 'spensive. Actually not only that but very popular which means that if you can get a rental there to absolutely kick punch and slap anyone who tries to get in front of you for the house. Being non-violent i would never endorse such behaviour of course. :D

The number 11 bus goes from Seatoun along Taranaki Street so it is pretty easy to get from Seatoun to Wellington High or Naki Street. Takes about 40 minutes but a pretty easy commute seeing as they wouldn't actually have to do anything other than

Another option could be Miramar but, if getting the bus not *quite* as convenient (maybe a ten minute walk up Courtenay Place on the Miramar bus or simply to walk along and get the no11 from Cobham Drive nearer the airport. Bit of a hike though).

www.metlink.org.nz

Kiwiprincess Jun 19th 2008 11:11 pm

Another option if you want to be near the sea is Island Bay. I like Island Bay. Kind of ramshackle in parts, and probably best not to live in Berhampore (wouldn't bother me, but i don't have kids), but has quite a community feel to it.