British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Best place in NZ for retirement? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/best-place-nz-retirement-309556/)

tottefan Jun 20th 2005 3:50 pm

Best place in NZ for retirement?

What is the best place to retire to in NZ in your opinion? My parents will be of retirement age by the time we move out there i.e. summer 2008 so I wondered what would be the best place in NZ for them to retire to. Any opinions are of course welcome.

tottefan.

scottish Jun 20th 2005 6:22 pm

Re: Best place in NZ for retirement?

Originally Posted by tottefan
What is the best place to retire to in NZ in your opinion? My parents will be of retirement age by the time we move out there i.e. summer 2008 so I wondered what would be the best place in NZ for them to retire to. Any opinions are of course welcome.

tottefan.

If they have the cash def Papamoa and Mount Maunganuai. Brilliant climate, beaches and lifestyle

JAJ Jun 20th 2005 6:26 pm

tottefan.

They will need a visa - NZ has no specific retirement visa, so you need to look at the criteria for parent migration. It may be some time after 2008 before they can get a parent visa.

Jeremy

tottefan Jun 20th 2005 9:09 pm

What are the rules for getting a VISA if retiring? I should have more than enough qualifications to get residency so does that entitle my parents to live in NZ with me (i.e. because they are family)? If not, then what route can they take and what is the likihood that their application would be successful?

Thanks. :)

tottefan.

sunshine_and_rain Jun 21st 2005 2:16 am

tottefan.

Without Doubt - Russell in the Bay of Islands - quiet, peaceful and beautiful! :)

Don Jun 21st 2005 4:37 am

What are the rules for getting a VISA if retiring? I should have more than enough qualifications to get residency so does that entitle my parents to live in NZ with me (i.e. because they are family)? If not, then what route can they take and what is the likihood that their application would be successful?

Thanks. :)

tottefan.

Check out the www.immigration.govt.nz site - it's clearly spelled out. Basically, there has to be a balance of family in NZ, meaning children in your parents' case. Ie if you are a single child or one of two it will be OK but if you have two brothers/ sisters living in UK your parents won't satisfy the requirement.