Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best place to live.

Best place to live.

Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:20 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Best place to live.

Originally Posted by mandy77
One more thing. I don't want to upset anybody by asking this and don't want to start another racial debate but I saw a doc about the gangs in NZ the other day and wondered if anybody had come across this. On the doc, there was two gangs fighting in Cathedral square in CHch in the middle of the day using an axe and a knife.
When did that happen? I haven't heard of any axe attacks in Cathedral Square recently.
There was also a lot about parts of Welly and AK, it was mostly about AK.
First, every time you write AK I think Alaska! Ha ha. Nothing wrong with your abbreviation I suppose, but I've never seen Auckland abbreviated that way. The usual abbreviation that I see is AKL.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for for your objective and completely unbiased opinion I guess I asked for answers like that didn't I?

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. I'm 30, OH 25 and three kids 4, 2 and 6 months. I do like warm weather but to be honest I'm not a big lover of rain so more bothered about dryness than temperature. I live in a large town at the moment but have lived in lots of different places big and small before. I like things about both but probably prefer to live somewhere a bit quieter.

Having said that, I do like to have the facilities like schools, shops, travel links nearby as I don't drive. Also things around for the kids and we would need somewhere to work. Oh and I suppose I could manage to live close to the beach if I really had to

Cheers

Mandy xx

I would defo try and get your drivers licence before you go or when you get there. I didn't have mine when I was in NZ and I think it is one of my biggest regrets. I do have it now however!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
When did that happen? I haven't heard of any axe attacks in Cathedral Square recently. First, every time you write AK I think Alaska! Ha ha. Nothing wrong with your abbreviation I suppose, but I've never seen Auckland abbreviated that way. The usual abbreviation that I see is AKL.
They were possibly trying to get to the old Wizard of C'church
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

mandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nice

If you go on to YouTube and put in gangs NZ and you will find a the documentary under NEW ZEALAND Ross Kemp on gangs part 1. This also has the Chch incident on it. Actually, there is loads on YouTube. Makes it look really bad. I think it is from poorer areas. I feel sorry for some of the kids, with the families they've got, they don't stand a chance. I expect that is the same all over the world though.

Anyway, on a lighter note......

Yeah Lexylou, you're probably right. I keep saying I will get my licence because I've got three kids and is a nightmare sometimes with no car. My Mum used to live in NZ and she said that I should really get my licence as well because I would need to drive more over there. I suppose I will have to bite the bullet then [I'm scared of being in a car] but I still don't fancy driving in AKL [sorry happynz] and would still prefer to walk, cycle, train whenever possible.

Where is it sunnier/dryer. Chch/surrounds or Welly/surrounds or I had heard that Blenheim and Nelson were nice or around Hawkes bay and bay of plenty.

I think that my OH would come out first anyway and try to sort out work and look at places, houses etc while I stay at home with the kids, then we will follow, if he doesn't decide he prefers the quieter life

Anyway, ta very much and speak in a while.

Mandy xx
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

mandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nice

Happynz would they have gangs in Alaska?????
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Happynz would they have gangs in Alaska?????
Yes .
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Have they really? I didn't imagine that I've never been there either. It looks stunning on pics but always thought it was snow, bears, lakes and a scattering of ppl who were into that kind of thing. Guess there's more to any place then you imagine.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go on to YouTube and put in gangs NZ and you will find a the documentary under NEW ZEALAND Ross Kemp on gangs part 1. This also has the Chch incident on it. Actually, there is loads on YouTube. Makes it look really bad. I think it is from poorer areas. I feel sorry for some of the kids, with the families they've got, they don't stand a chance. I expect that is the same all over the world though.

Anyway, on a lighter note......

Yeah Lexylou, you're probably right. I keep saying I will get my licence because I've got three kids and is a nightmare sometimes with no car. My Mum used to live in NZ and she said that I should really get my licence as well because I would need to drive more over there. I suppose I will have to bite the bullet then [I'm scared of being in a car] but I still don't fancy driving in AKL [sorry happynz] and would still prefer to walk, cycle, train whenever possible.

Where is it sunnier/dryer. Chch/surrounds or Welly/surrounds or I had heard that Blenheim and Nelson were nice or around Hawkes bay and bay of plenty.

I think that my OH would come out first anyway and try to sort out work and look at places, houses etc while I stay at home with the kids, then we will follow, if he doesn't decide he prefers the quieter life

Anyway, ta very much and speak in a while.

Mandy xx
Ahhh, there's the reason, its all Ross Kemp's fault, so don't blame the kiwi's