Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

the best place to live

the best place to live

Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Amanda Hart will become famous soon enoughAmanda Hart will become famous soon enough
Default Re: the best place to live

Originally Posted by slimchic
hi

whats the best place to live in NZ?i can go anywhere but would love to hear about all the best places you think i should go. I should point out that I can't stand shivering and will be one of those expats who fork out for central heating and shiver in the summer so a warm climate is very persuasive!

i can't afford to go to a really expensive area, as i have my daughter to educate and i will have to pay for it about £20k sterling, there is no way around this, i have looked into it, she is too old to get it free. one year in fact too old:curse:

I will be working as a nurse yes poor i know and i will have to keep me and my daughter for the first three years- am open to suggestions but please no dating agencies!
Forgot to add, I constantly chesked weather on 'Weather Underground' you can put in any date in history and it will give you the full report. I did a 12 month comparison to the UK, month by month and was very happy. Amanda
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:47 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, having replied now to 2 of your threads about Wanganui, now I know your situation...............I dont know if Wanganui is going to suit you. I dont know what there is here for your daughter, she will likely want to move on and you will be here. It rather depends upon what you both see the next few years bringing. If I were in a similar situation (and I am a nurse and midwife) I would move to Wellington where you can live close enough to work and live reasonably and have all the shops and amenities to hand. It would be good for both you and your daughter. I dont know, I assume you and your 26 year old like a night out, and frankly Wanganui has very little to offer by comparison to Wellington or many places. If you like the quiet life Wanganui would be perfect, but as a 26 year old I dont know that your daughter would feel very happy here. Not to mention she would need to travel an hour to get to the main Massey site in Palmerston North. Also having worked in the hospital here, I would look to work in a larger regional center. There is a re-design happening that will mean less facilities, less jobs and more pressures put upon existing staff as demand will not reduce. We have spent a lot of time and money over the last couple of years transfering patients to otehr hospitals via ambulance, plane and helicopter, due to no beds, no Drs and many other issues. So, not wishing to put you off, I would look to those well funded areas - Wellington jumps out at me, because it is said to be nice, though I have no experience of the hospitals there at all.

Hope that hasnt clouded things yet further!!! Do pm me if you want!

Rachel x
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:50 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Don't believe that the South Island is colder than the North!! It's all lies! Well, I think so.

We arrived in Christchurch at the end of May this year just in time for winter. Yay! Great timing. But to be honest we were pleasantly surprised by the weather. We actually live 25 mins commute north of Cch in the North Canterbury plains. And it is beautiful. We headed out this way as a Cch taxi driver told us on our recce that if we wanted hot, flat, dry, then head to Rangiora. So we did. And haven't regretted it.

Winter was lovely. Most days big blue sky and warm sun. Temps not great but no long, dark, grey, rainy days like UK. And not cold so no need for hats, scarves, gloves or even coats.

We are 10 minutes from the beaches, 1 hour from the ski fields, 1 1/2 hours from thermal springs and 25 mins from the fabulous cultural and educational centre of Christchurch.

Over the last weekend we had temps between 32-35 deg and its Spring! Monday however was chilly in comparison and quite grey. Admittedly you can get all four seasons in a day in and around Christchurch but on the whole I think this is a great area and offers opportunities for our kids as they grow up. We love it. Others may hate it. But I would add that when it is hot here it is not humid. The air is very dry so it is not that heavy, moist, sweat inducing tropical humidity you get up north of NI.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Mandie, it was nice to meet up on Sunday. It was a nice relaxing afternoon. After visiting the neghbours, we did get to the beach to sit for a bit. It was so very nice.

You guys have settled in so nicely. I am jealous. Hopefully we will be just as happy once the house is built.

See you again.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:15 am
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough

General trend of weather.

Southland - Cold in Winter, winds staright from Antartica with nothing but a few rocky islands and a few albatross to stop the winds. Summers nice enough.

Central Otago - Cold winters, hot summers.

Dunedin - Cold Winters, ok summers.

Christchurh - Coldish winters, very nice warm summers. Doesnt rain as much as other parts as the Southern Alps make most of the raiun get dumped on the West Coast.

West Coast - Mild Winters, Nice Summers.... Rains alot.. LOTS.. use a swimsuit instead of an a brollie.

Nelson/Marlbrough - Mild winters, very nice summers, lots of sunshine. Very pleasant.

Wellington - Cold and windy in winter, Warm and windy in Summer. People dont move to Wellington for its weather......

Hamilton - Warm summers, Coldish winters..... very damp! Not because it rains anymore than other parts, but because most the city was built on a boggy marshes... so any rain doesnt drain that well.. and you end up squelching when you walk most winters.

Tauranga - Mild winters, very nice summers, lots of sunshine. Very pleasant.

Rotorua/Taupo - Warm summers, colder winters. You are on the central plateau and you know it.

Hawkes Bay - Mild winters, very nice summers, lots of sunshine. Very pleasant.

Auckland - Mild winters, very nice summers, lots of sunshine. Very pleasant. Rains more than Tga, Hawkes Bay or Nelson. (no stats to back that up, but I ahve lives in most of those places and its my gut feel)

Whangerei - Not called the winterless north for nothing.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:10 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

I love the way you put that.......not.

Tell you what if you call walking around in Shorts in Taupo in August a cold winter then your in then you must have come when a southerly was blowing.

But then you may never have been in Christchurch in August when a Nor wester is blowing warm winds on the city?

More simply way of looking at the weather is the South Island can get snow to sea Level except the West coast and top of the South (nelson/

Marlborough) in the North Island snow no lower than 400m maybe during during June-August. Even then Snow below 800m in the North Island last no more than a day at most if it falls at all. Even if it does the most likely towns affected would be Ohakune, Raetihi, National Park and Waiouru.

Weather fronts to look for are Southerlies they bring Cold Weather depending what they hit could be snow could be just cold. Northwester bring Heavy Rain but warm until they hit a southerly then whack some snow in the central plateau. It does not snow in Taupo!

Summers hot anywhere in the country unless a southerly cools it in the South Island Canterbury get hot and dry with strong winds during a Northwester. Further North you get hte more humidity may not be hot temperature wise but that humidity really kicks. The last summer was cool so watch out those who have not been here for long.

Oh and forgot West Coast either island is wetter than the east coast.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:24 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Hi Mandie, it was nice to meet up on Sunday. It was a nice relaxing afternoon. After visiting the neghbours, we did get to the beach to sit for a bit. It was so very nice.

You guys have settled in so nicely. I am jealous. Hopefully we will be just as happy once the house is built.

See you again.
(Sorry OP for going off thread)
Hi Guys
Great to meet up at last. Glad you got the kids to the beach in the end. We had a lovely time and enjoyed your company and your kids are so funny, polite and gorgeous. Tell Gillian the spa pool finally got finished and heated up so it'll be good to go next time she comes!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:59 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mind if I ask why you've chosen NZ? it's just that if you don't like the cold you may not find winters to your liking.

If it's climate you're after I'd say head for South East Queensland. It's got some excellent tertiary education too. Minus is no daylight saving time but no real winter either
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Dolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really nice

Slimchick - might I suggest that if your daughter is going to be going to university that you move to the city that is closest to that - she can live at home and it will save you a lot of money in accomodation fees - but perhaps Dunedin (Otago University) might be a bit cold for you though!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Delores. Living at home is better than away when going to uni. I work for a company that manages and develops student housing. It costs $10000 or more for catered accomodation. Newer student housing costs that much without catering. We are going to live just north of Christchurch and the kids can go to uni there and drive in when the time comes.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

slimchic will become famous soon enoughslimchic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dolores
Slimchick - might I suggest that if your daughter is going to be going to university that you move to the city that is closest to that - she can live at home and it will save you a lot of money in accomodation fees - but perhaps Dunedin (Otago University) might be a bit cold for you though!
she will defintiely be living at home!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nerine
Do you mind if I ask why you've chosen NZ? it's just that if you don't like the cold you may not find winters to your liking.

If it's climate you're after I'd say head for South East Queensland. It's got some excellent tertiary education too. Minus is no daylight saving time but no real winter either
thanks, i will bear that in mind
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
I love the way you put that.......not.

Tell you what if you call walking around in Shorts in Taupo in August a cold winter then your in then you must have come when a southerly was blowing.

But then you may never have been in Christchurch in August when a Nor wester is blowing warm winds on the city?

More simply way of looking at the weather is the South Island can get snow to sea Level except the West coast and top of the South (nelson/

Marlborough) in the North Island snow no lower than 400m maybe during during June-August. Even then Snow below 800m in the North Island last no more than a day at most if it falls at all. Even if it does the most likely towns affected would be Ohakune, Raetihi, National Park and Waiouru.

Weather fronts to look for are Southerlies they bring Cold Weather depending what they hit could be snow could be just cold. Northwester bring Heavy Rain but warm until they hit a southerly then whack some snow in the central plateau. It does not snow in Taupo!

Summers hot anywhere in the country unless a southerly cools it in the South Island Canterbury get hot and dry with strong winds during a Northwester. Further North you get hte more humidity may not be hot temperature wise but that humidity really kicks. The last summer was cool so watch out those who have not been here for long.

Oh and forgot West Coast either island is wetter than the east coast.
ok thanks
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Baron Silas Greenback
General trend of weather.

Southland - Cold in Winter, winds staright from Antartica with nothing but a few rocky islands and a few albatross to stop the winds. Summers nice enough.

Central Otago - Cold winters, hot summers.

Dunedin - Cold Winters, ok summers.

Christchurh - Coldish winters, very nice warm summers. Doesnt rain as much as other parts as the Southern Alps make most of the raiun get dumped on the West Coast.

West Coast - Mild Winters, Nice Summers.... Rains alot.. LOTS.. use a swimsuit instead of an a brollie.

Nelson/Marlbrough - Mild winters, very nice summers, lots of sunshine. Very pleasant.

Wellington - Cold and windy in winter, Warm and windy in Summer. People dont move to Wellington for its weather......

Hamilton - Warm summers, Coldish winters..... very damp! Not because it rains anymore than other parts, but because most the city was built on a boggy marshes... so any rain doesnt drain that well.. and you end up squelching when you walk most winters.

Tauranga - Mild winters, very nice summers, lots of sunshine. Very pleasant.

Rotorua/Taupo - Warm summers, colder winters. You are on the central plateau and you know it.

Hawkes Bay - Mild winters, very nice summers, lots of sunshine. Very pleasant.

Auckland - Mild winters, very nice summers, lots of sunshine. Very pleasant. Rains more than Tga, Hawkes Bay or Nelson. (no stats to back that up, but I ahve lives in most of those places and its my gut feel)

Whangerei - Not called the winterless north for nothing.
thats really usefull thanks a lot
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Speago is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I was just wondering how you are going to get work without a work permit. From what I can gather you need a job to get a visa and you need a work permit to get work. Catch 22 really so I was wondering how you are going to swing it.
Oh yeh. The northern tip of N.Z is sub tropical and it gets colder the further down you go. We spent the winter down south and found it a lot milder than the U.K and much less of those grey dreary days we have so many of here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.