Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best part of New Zealand

Best part of New Zealand

Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

KurlyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best part of New Zealand

Right - I need some advice from you lovely people - whether already in NZ or going there or even hoping to.

Which part of NZ do I move to. I have to admit, I would prefer a warmer area with plenty of sunshine. But the earthquakes do worry me a little - is there an area that is particularly earthquake free?

So - warm, sunny, and earthquake free - is there such a part of NZ
Old Mar 31st 2011, 4:11 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best part of New Zealand

Originally Posted by KurlyK
Right - I need some advice from you lovely people - whether already in NZ or going there or even hoping to.

Which part of NZ do I move to. I have to admit, I would prefer a warmer area with plenty of sunshine. But the earthquakes do worry me a little - is there an area that is particularly earthquake free?

No. NZ is on the ring of fire faultline - it runs right through the country. If you're looking for earthquake free you should move somewhere else.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, recently was in same position as you, after loads of research and heaps of helpful advice from folks on this forum I have stopped worrying about earthquakes! They can happen anywhere ~ there was a small one in Inverness this week! We are about to submit our application for visa and will be touring around for 1 or 2 months deciding where we can get work/where to settle when we get there as it all looks pretty nice to me! We will have a checklist ie work, nice houses, friendly people, decent schools etc and take it from there. Good luck with your research and if you find the perfect place ~ let me know!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:07 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'd start with a different approach - where can I get a job? Then start researching outwards that way - pointless trying to find an idyllic spot on the south island to find that you can only get work in Auckland....
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can manage it the best way is to get yourself out here and see for yourself, second hand info is always good to reinforce your own opinions, but nothing beats getting out here and exploring and finding places you want to live.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:57 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best part of New Zealand

Hawkes Bay would be my preference, it’s just so…nice. It has the sunshine but it’s still near to the sea, Napier (and to a lesser extent Hastings) are nice towns.

That said difficult to find employment (apparently everyone else also thinks it would be a nice place to live) and property sells for a premium as well because it’s just so…nice.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Northland has the least, BUT nowhere in NZ can you guarantee earthquake free life. The weather is very good there also (can be very, very wet too). Just google 'map of earthquakes nz' and it shows this area as being the least prone to seismic activity. I would honsetly say if you have worries about earthquakes maybe give NZ a miss. You also have to consider volcanoes, tsunamis (mainly on our east coast) and the worst one kiwi drivers. They are the biggest danger to you and your kin. Downside of Northland by the way is there is not much work and it is apparently a very low decile area.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I'd start with a different approach - where can I get a job? Then start researching outwards that way - pointless trying to find an idyllic spot on the south island to find that you can only get work in Auckland....
Very wise advice
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:42 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer a warmer area with plenty of sunshine. ................ is there an area that is particularly earthquake free?

So - warm, sunny, and earthquake free
Easy - Australia!

BB
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

I agree that the only way is to have a look for yourself, and also consider where you can get work. One person's paradise is another person's hell!

Before coming here, I had convinced myself that I'd be living in Auckland's North Shore. It took me about 2 hours after arriving to realise I absolutely hated the area!

I was about 75% certain that I'd be living somewhere in Auckland (or at least starting off there) and I spent some time looking around before deciding for sure. It definitely paid dividends, because I've ended up in an area that I didn't even know existed before I came here.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:34 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said much may depend on your work situation. That didn't factor in to our decision where to settle.

We were fortunate enough to come on a 3 week reccie in a campervan before deciding to move to NZ. I spent weeks researching all the places we wanted to visit. Once here we realised that the carefully thought out military itinerary was useless as everywhere took twice as long to get to as we had thought! Still we got to see most places we wanted to on the NI.

Like you we wanted somewhere with a better climate. I'd pretty much set my heart on Tauranga and once we arrived here I wasn't disappointed. I walked to the top of (Mauao) Mount Maunganui, looked down at the 24kms+ of white sand and Pacific Ocean and thought "Yeah, ok then .... "!!!

Been here nearly 4 years now and love it still. I've travelled round NZ a little during that time but have yet to find anywhere I love as much as here.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Buzzy Bee,

I genuinely pity anyone who may have been sentenced to a life with or around you. You are like a broken record. It's boring. Give it a rest.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 8:50 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howick
Buzzy Bee,

I genuinely pity anyone who may have been sentenced to a life with or around you. You are like a broken record. It's boring. Give it a rest.
That's not very nice!

To clarify my response to the OP - there is nowhere in NZ that is earthquake free and much of NZ is not warm and sunny either. Whereas Australia does not have earthquakes (with one exception in living memory) and much of it is warm and sunny.

BB
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:17 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a useful WIKI City Guide that may have escaped your attention. It doesn't give average hours of sunshine or temperature but has some info supplied by the good people here who actually live or have lived in these places.

PS: If anyone has anything to contribute to the Wiki we would be very grateful!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Buzzy Bee,

You know what you post, I don't need to remind you.

You have an unhealthy & ongoing fascination with running down NZ, yet you live in Oz. Wonderful, couldn't be happier for you.

Move on, now. Your digs are just tedious & narrow minded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.