Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BEST PART OF AUCKLAND FOR FAMILY LIFE?

BEST PART OF AUCKLAND FOR FAMILY LIFE?

Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of
Default BEST PART OF AUCKLAND FOR FAMILY LIFE?

Hi needing bit of help. We (me, hubby & 2 kids) were hoping to be heading up north Whangarei or surrounding. But just found out today from recruitment agency that because hubby hasnt been driving (HGV1) long they can guarantee job in Auckland but not up north bacause of rough terrain. They obviously prefer more experienced drivers.
Dont want to be put of so looking for your thoughts on Auckland. Any positives/negatives appreciated to help me decide if its for us. Kids, rugby, golf boxing a must. Advice on good suburbs and schools appreciated to. Many thanks for replies in advance
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:32 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: BEST PART OF AUCKLAND FOR FAMILY LIFE?

Auckland housing is a bit pricey compared to other parts of the country. I think you need to consider how much you can afford and that decision will narrow down the areas that you'll consider.
As for the sports you mentioned -- easy as. They are available everywhere.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Thanks happy nz..............will need to think that out............does Auckland remind you of any UK city?..............just to give me an idea what its like. We really were looking for somewhere more rural.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:57 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Sorry Jill. I can't help you with comparisons with UK cities as I'm not British nor have I been to the UK.

You might want to consider living out west in Kumeu or Helensville. Pukekohe is a southern suburb that's nice enough. The North Shore has heaps of expatriate Brits and South Africans and many commute into the CBD from the Hibiscus coast. But as I wrote earlier, your budget will really determine what choices you will have.

Good luck with it all.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jill,

We were in the same boat as yourself with my employer in Auckland. We aren't city dwellers, so we looked for a small suburb. We are moving to Cockle Bay, flying on the 16th July. Kids will be attending C/Bay Primary and Howick college, both high decile schools.

West Auckland (Henderson, Henderson Valley, Swanson, etc) are more rural.

We bought the book "Living in Auckland" which we found a great help when deciding. This gives info. on all areas.
If you would like info. of any area from the book, just let me know.

All the Best

Garry
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really nice

We have settled on Torbay on the North Shore lots of expats up here, South Auckland you need to be a bit careful where you look some nice some not so nice.
Great beaches and reserves everywhere, but get ready for the humid weather and mozzies (its not that bad)

John
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garryhg
Hi Jill,

We were in the same boat as yourself with my employer in Auckland. We aren't city dwellers, so we looked for a small suburb. We are moving to Cockle Bay, flying on the 16th July. Kids will be attending C/Bay Primary and Howick college, both high decile schools.

West Auckland (Henderson, Henderson Valley, Swanson, etc) are more rural.

We bought the book "Living in Auckland" which we found a great help when deciding. This gives info. on all areas.
If you would like info. of any area from the book, just let me know.

All the Best

Garry
Thanks for that................Im going to get the book...............I take it its in all good book shops? We are in North Lanarkshire...............hoping to go over Nov/Dec.

Last edited by jill1420; Jun 21st 2007 at 8:24 pm. Reason: add on sentence