Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

best company to use?

best company to use?

Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

laurad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best company to use?

Hi me and my partner have made the decission to move to new zeland and would like some advice on the best way to go about it. which company do you reccomend to get the visa? and how and when do we go about applying for jobs? i'm a nurse and he's a plasterer? Any advice would be good thanks
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future
Default Re: best company to use?

We are using New Life New Zealand to help us through the process, and they have a seminar coming up soon (October) which costs just £10 and we found this use full.

They are not cheap, but it is reasuring that you know exactly how many points you have, and they go through the whole process with you (you do a lot of work yourself, by getting all the documents together, and letters of work experience from your employers).

You get lots of books and information regarding the different areas of New Zealand as well.

A lot of people on the forum here will probably advise to go it alone, and they have all managed to do it, personally i wasnt brave enough.

New Life New Zealand will also help with finding you a job before you get out there, as a lot of recruitment agencies wont help until you have a diffinite date in which you arrive in NZ.

Hope this information helps.

Jill
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

I think the majority of people will suggest doing yourself. Its not a case of being brave, there is actually nothing to it. I am amazed that there are companies out there milking people and doing bugger all for it!

Just go onto the NZ immigration website and complete the form on-line. It does take a couple of hours and will need a lot of information to hand but you will need that anyway, even going through an agent.

As you progress through the form it automatically tallies up your points. There is also loads of information about the process on there as well.

It will save you a lot of money, and once you have been pulled from the pool and received your ITA just get your medicals sorted and send off all the paperwork that you have already dug out.

It really is easy and there is no reason why you can't do it yourself.

And being a nurse I don't think you will have a problem getting a job, I may be wrong but I believe that there is a quite a shortage.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Snyffa is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: best company to use?

Hey there, welcome to the board. I am currently using international recruitment agency tonix to help me out with the what do i need to do's how do i do that's. Their service is free as they are paid by the health board once a job for you is secured, you are also free to look for jobs youself. To do this you are best choosing a location that appeals to you and googling the health board for the distrcit, using their page you can locate vancancies and apply for the job. Tonix have been really helpful to me www.tonix.co.nz they help you with relocation and airport pick ups and are just useful for advice.
Hope this is helpful, good luck.....
Tip 1) Apply for nurse registration NOW it can be lengthy and the quicker its done the quicker the ball is rolling
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome

I'm a registered nurse too & am looking to make the move in January.

Like Snyffa, I am using Tonix & have found them to be extremely good up to now. They always get back to me within 24 hours of me sending an email...no matter how small the queerie is!

I emailed them to register my interest & 24 hours later, Heidi (now my agent) rang me at home (10pm!). Within a couple of days I had started my application with the Nursing Council of New Zealand & no sooner had I sent off all the relevant docs than Heidi emailed me to say I had an interview!!! This will be tomorrow night over the phone (I'm very nervous!)

I wasn't expecting this as I thought I would have to have my registration back before I could even begin to look for jobs, but I think the agency will vouch for you & give the DHB a guarantee that you are in the process of applying!

Therefore if you get yourself a good agent, then you don't need to go trawling around job sites as they will do all the hard work for you!

Hope this will be of some help, feel free to PM me if you like

Good luck,

Cheryl x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
Hi & welcome

I'm a registered nurse too & am looking to make the move in January.

Like Snyffa, I am using Tonix & have found them to be extremely good up to now. They always get back to me within 24 hours of me sending an email...no matter how small the queerie is!

I emailed them to register my interest & 24 hours later, Heidi (now my agent) rang me at home (10pm!). Within a couple of days I had started my application with the Nursing Council of New Zealand & no sooner had I sent off all the relevant docs than Heidi emailed me to say I had an interview!!! This will be tomorrow night over the phone (I'm very nervous!)

I wasn't expecting this as I thought I would have to have my registration back before I could even begin to look for jobs, but I think the agency will vouch for you & give the DHB a guarantee that you are in the process of applying!

Therefore if you get yourself a good agent, then you don't need to go trawling around job sites as they will do all the hard work for you!

Hope this will be of some help, feel free to PM me if you like

Good luck,

Cheryl x

good luck for tommorow! i registered with tonix earlier on tonight so hopefully will hear something soon. Thanks for the advice let me know how the interview goes and the sort of questions they ask

laura x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:19 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks
I think the majority of people will suggest doing yourself. Its not a case of being brave, there is actually nothing to it. I am amazed that there are companies out there milking people and doing bugger all for it!

Just go onto the NZ immigration website and complete the form on-line. It does take a couple of hours and will need a lot of information to hand but you will need that anyway, even going through an agent.

As you progress through the form it automatically tallies up your points. There is also loads of information about the process on there as well.

It will save you a lot of money, and once you have been pulled from the pool and received your ITA just get your medicals sorted and send off all the paperwork that you have already dug out.

It really is easy and there is no reason why you can't do it yourself.

And being a nurse I don't think you will have a problem getting a job, I may be wrong but I believe that there is a quite a shortage.

Totally agree, unless you have serious complications it's easy to do it yourself. Immigration provide you with an idiots guide, tell you exactly what they want and the order in which they want it.

You provide the 'Agent' with all the info, so you do all the work anyway.

You don't need to be brave to do it yourself, you only need half a working brain.

The £3,000 and odd that it costs I feel would be better spent in upgrading your airline tickets.

Pauline
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by laurad
Hi me and my partner have made the decission to move to new zeland and would like some advice on the best way to go about it. which company do you recommend to get the visa? and how and when do we go about applying for jobs? i'm a nurse and he's a plasterer? Any advice would be good thanks
If it is just a question of you and your OH finding jobs and doing paperwork, then as a nurse you should do it yourself. If you know there is something unusual about you i.e. medical probs - police conviction - no formal qualifications then maybe you should consider an agent.

Be careful who you choose. Many charge an arm and a leg for what is basically a bit of form filling . You end up running around & doing the work yourself anyway. I've heard of these agents charging ridiculous amounts £3000K and above Always be wary of any agents that charge to find you a job offer. What you want is a reputable recruitment agency . As a nurse you could approach health boards direct. I see a couple of our nurses have put you onto Tonix.

We will all help with the paperwork. NZIS - New Zealand Immigration Service will also help .

Take it step by step. Take it with care. Ask anything and everything here and you will manage it just fine.

The nurses will correct me if I am wrong . One of your first moves should be to start registration with the Nurses Board here in NZ. The nurses can talk you through that.

Also, please do have a go at the POINTS INDICATOR on the NZIS website. Come back to us with anything you are not sure of. It should help you know what your points could be & will get you started .

Please click the bold type to access the links I have given

As you are a nurse , you can apply to permanently emigrate to New Zealand under what is called the Skilled Migrant Category. You would be the principle applicant as you are a nurse. You are worth more points.

You can claim the bonus points for absolute shortage as nursing is on the long term shortage list.
Your partner can claim the extra few points for your partner having a basic recognised trade qualification in plastering, provided he does have the trade qual.

You need over 100 points at least. If you had 140 points even better. Doing the points indicator to start with will tell you where you stand and how many points you get with/without the job offer.

All applications to emigrate to NZ do better with an NZ job offer. It is not compulsory if you have enough points but the processing time can be quicker as this helps the NZ employer.

Of course, all of the above is about permanently emigrating to NZ. If you are just wanting to come out to try it for a year or two, you can do this too . You would be applying for a temporary work visa once you have a job offer. With the temporary work visas you must have a job offer first.

If you would still wish to think abouot paying an agent, always choose an agent that is licensed and registered with NZAMI. TeamEmbo on this site did very well with Peter Croxson of NZEmmigrationExperts. I also know of him and he has worked very hard with great results for a couple I know with difficult circumstances. He certainly knows his stuff.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, not jumping in head first will speak to tonix first.

Originally Posted by BEVS here
If it is just a question of you and your OH finding jobs and doing paperwork, then as a nurse you should do it yourself. If you know there is something unusual about you i.e. medical probs - police conviction - no formal qualifications then maybe you should consider an agent.

Be careful who you choose. Many charge an arm and a leg for what is basically a bit of form filling . You end up running around & doing the work yourself anyway. I've heard of these agents charging ridiculous amounts £3000K and above Always be wary of any agents that charge to find you a job offer. What you want is a reputable recruitment agency . As a nurse you could approach health boards direct. I see a couple of our nurses have put you onto Tonix.

We will all help with the paperwork. NZIS - New Zealand Immigration Service will also help .

Take it step by step. Take it with care. Ask anything and everything here and you will manage it just fine.

The nurses will correct me if I am wrong . One of your first moves should be to start registration with the Nurses Board here in NZ. The nurses can talk you through that.

Also, please do have a go at the POINTS INDICATOR on the NZIS website. Come back to us with anything you are not sure of. It should help you know what your points could be & will get you started .

Please click the bold type to access the links I have given

As you are a nurse , you can apply to permanently emigrate to New Zealand under what is called the Skilled Migrant Category. You would be the principle applicant as you are a nurse. You are worth more points.

You can claim the bonus points for absolute shortage as nursing is on the long term shortage list.
Your partner can claim the extra few points for your partner having a basic recognised trade qualification in plastering, provided he does have the trade qual.

You need over 100 points at least. If you had 140 points even better. Doing the points indicator to start with will tell you where you stand and how many points you get with/without the job offer.

All applications to emigrate to NZ do better with an NZ job offer. It is not compulsory if you have enough points but the processing time can be quicker as this helps the NZ employer.

Of course, all of the above is about permanently emigrating to NZ. If you are just wanting to come out to try it for a year or two, you can do this too . You would be applying for a temporary work visa once you have a job offer. With the temporary work visas you must have a job offer first.

If you would still wish to think abouot paying an agent, always choose an agent that is licensed and registered with NZAMI. TeamEmbo on this site did very well with Peter Croxson of NZEmmigrationExperts. I also know of him and he has worked very hard with great results for a couple I know with difficult circumstances. He certainly knows his stuff.