British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Best broadband/phone deals? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/best-broadband-phone-deals-682294/)

Flower Pot Aug 22nd 2010 8:08 pm

Best broadband/phone deals?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello folks :)

Move into our own place this wkend (been staying with the 'rents), proper excited!

Trying to suss out the best broadband/phone deal so after some advice please.

We are high internet users and hubby downloads a lot so after 20+MB broadband. Also want a home line with an international calling option for calls as cheap as poss (or free!) back to the UK.

Have a wireless modem.

Have looked at the main ones but it all gets so confusing trying to figure out the best deal!

Anyone got a good package at the mo? :blink:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Oh, and here's a photo of our new views... you don't get them in Liverpool... :eek:

Littlemisssunshine Aug 23rd 2010 4:20 am

Re: Best broadband/phone deals?

can't help but am looking forward to seeing what replies you get as we are looking for broadband too. Wireless doesn't seem to be very popular over here at the moment, but that's what we are hoping for too.

Hopefully someone will come along to help.

sirplug Aug 23rd 2010 6:35 am

Orcon.......25GB monthly and free calls around New Zealand and a country of your choice!

hazeandsteve Aug 23rd 2010 7:32 am

Wireless is no problem. We just use our wireless router plugged straight into the modem supplied by Telecom. We dumped the desktop and just use the laptop now with secure connection, all good.
You can buy wireless modems from all the normal shops.

sirplug Aug 23rd 2010 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Flower Pot (Post 8794955)
Hello folks :)

Move into our own place this wkend (been staying with the 'rents), proper excited!

Trying to suss out the best broadband/phone deal so after some advice please.

We are high internet users and hubby downloads a lot so after 20+MB broadband. Also want a home line with an international calling option for calls as cheap as poss (or free!) back to the UK.

Have a wireless modem.

Have looked at the main ones but it all gets so confusing trying to figure out the best deal!

Anyone got a good package at the mo? :blink:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Oh, and here's a photo of our new views... you don't get them in Liverpool... :eek:

We've got that view!:D We're just around the corner from the headland on the right of the pic!

mrsmcgoo Aug 23rd 2010 10:39 pm

Just remember - broadband is still slow here in comparison to Uk (so I'm told) - also our exchange that serves this area (which is in Orewa) I think - is a tad overloaded *ahem* even some new homes are having to wait to get internet access.

I work from home via internet to UK - it is constantly going on and off on and off - a real pain I have to say - we have been waiting for the mighty "unbundling" of Telecom (Telescum) as it's affectionally known in the hope of some competition and cheaper packages. Having said that - I subscribe to Telecome pacakge - they have several depending on your needs, but I know Orcon is popular too as is TestraClear - I have heard 'not so good' reports on slingshot services. I think Vodafone also do home packages now too.

I live in Red Beach by the way :):D

mickey_d Aug 23rd 2010 11:55 pm

Telecom will give you double data allowance for 1st 6 months if you join before 31st August!!