British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Best broadband deals in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/best-broadband-deals-nz-528512/)

kooga61 Apr 11th 2008 7:22 am

Best broadband deals in NZ

Hi guys,

I need some help. I have recently decided to do away with the old sky, and I'm looking to use the internet to download programme,football,cricket etc.
I'm not much cop at this computer lark, so I need some advice:unsure:. Which is the best deal to go for? I don't really want to spend more than $50 per month, although I could go a bit higher. :confused:

Any ideas?:huh:

irnbru14 Apr 11th 2008 7:29 am

Re: Best broadband deals in NZ

Its not exactly a great choice here really! One thing to look out for is the offers, I got my first two months of telecom broadband free which tipped my decision that way...

Batty Apr 11th 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by kooga61 (Post 6191881)
Hi guys,

I need some help. I have recently decided to do away with the old sky, and I'm looking to use the internet to download programme,football,cricket etc.
I'm not much cop at this computer lark, so I need some advice:unsure:. Which is the best deal to go for? I don't really want to spend more than $50 per month, although I could go a bit higher. :confused:

Any ideas?:huh:

Where are you? We switched to Orcon from Telecom last year and found them much better value. Now, however, Orcon have started unbundling the loop from Telecom :thumbsup:and we're in the first area they've done. We don't have to deal with Telecom any more (no more line charges) and we get 25gb download limit, free local and national calls, free calls of no more than one hour to a country of your choice, voicemail and caller ID. And the whole package costs £120 a month :wub:

kooga61 Apr 11th 2008 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 6192263)
Where are you? We switched to Orcon from Telecom last year and found them much better value. Now, however, Orcon have started unbundling the loop from Telecom :thumbsup:and we're in the first area they've done. We don't have to deal with Telecom any more (no more line charges) and we get 25gb download limit, free local and national calls, free calls of no more than one hour to a country of your choice, voicemail and caller ID. And the whole package costs £120 a month :wub:

I'm in Northshore, just down the road from Orcon's main building. $120 a month is a bit too much for us. Only one income at present:eek:. I've been told it might be an idea to wait and see what happens regarding Telecom.

ex_exile Apr 11th 2008 9:30 am

Xnet

chocolate cake Apr 11th 2008 9:37 am

Yep, also swayed by Telecom's two month free offer plus reduced modem cost. Just connected yesterday, must admit not so pleased with the speed so far :(, seems to be a broadband connection at a dial up speed.
Also regularly explorer is locking up, I know it's not the pc as was fine when connected wireless elsewhere.

ex_exile Apr 11th 2008 9:42 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 6192383)
Yep, also swayed by Telecom's two month free offer plus reduced modem cost. Just connected yesterday, must admit not so pleased with the speed so far :(, seems to be a broadband connection at a dial up speed.
Also regularly explorer is locking up, I know it's not the pc as was fine when connected wireless elsewhere.

Telecom is Poos, you will never be happy with the service. I used to work for them and can tell you that they have no concept of capacity planning

Batty Apr 11th 2008 9:44 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 6192383)

Are you now locked in for two years? One of my colleagues told me about this 'deal' the other day and I didn't think much of it. Anything that locks you in for that length of time can't be good. When we were with Xtra we had dial up speeds. We got letters from them saying that they'd determined our speed wasn't good and we could drop to dial-up (I wouldn't), they gave us a one month refund, but still the speed was crap. The reason they'd given was that 1. we were too far from the exchange or 2. the lines were damaged - em. d'oh would you not check the lines then? NO So when we changed to Orcon they had a Telecom engineer here within a couple of days who told us that yes, we had a damaged cable :curse: Our speed went from 56k to 1800 in minutes and now we're on around 3000. If you are locked in, make them come and check the cables.

irnbru14 Apr 11th 2008 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 6192409)
Are you now locked in for two years? One of my colleagues told me about this 'deal' the other day and I didn't think much of it. Anything that locks you in for that length of time can't be good. When we were with Xtra we had dial up speeds. We got letters from them saying that they'd determined our speed wasn't good and we could drop to dial-up (I wouldn't), they gave us a one month refund, but still the speed was crap. The reason they'd given was that 1. we were too far from the exchange or 2. the lines were damaged - em. d'oh would you not check the lines then? NO So when we changed to Orcon they had a Telecom engineer here within a couple of days who told us that yes, we had a damaged cable :curse: Our speed went from 56k to 1800 in minutes and now we're on around 3000. If you are locked in, make them come and check the cables.

Am only locked into a year with mine. Never had any real problem with the telecom services speeds and been using it for 6 months now, still, am in central wellington so would expect them to have a good service around here.

RobClubley Apr 14th 2008 3:24 am

Slingshot do a $29.95 a month starter pack for 2Mb down, 128k up as long as you get your toll calls from them ($39.95 otherwise)
You get 2Gb data but it's flexible, you can get 3Gb extra for $5, 10Gb for $10, 30Gb for $25, 50Gb for $40
That's what I'm on at the moment.