Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

best areas to live near auckland?

best areas to live near auckland?

Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best areas to live near auckland?

Originally Posted by Raquel
Hi! You said that Orewa schools reputation is OK. Do you know something about Orewa College? Thank you
I don't know anyone whose children have gone to Orewa College Raquel but if you haven't already seen this it may help.

http://secure.dataview.co.nz/users/o...docs/index.php
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:23 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
We have friends who live in Orewa, they send their children down to Westlake to go to school. Another couple lives in Stanmore Bay and theirs go to Westlake and Longbay College.

There is a Christian school in Orewa called Kingsway that has a good reputation.
Westlake and Pinehurst are common options (you see the kids around bus stops with their uniforms on) as is Wentworth on the Whangaparoa Peninsular (you could do the commute via the Gulf Harbour ferry as a scenic alternative to the bus and live in Manly or thereabouts - Fireman Al lives that way, real nice place, good atmosphere, sports, etc and lots of property at/on the beach!)

Kingsway is a good school, catering from Primary all the way through - our littlie is on the waiting list for their Kindy. Hard to get into Kingsway though as its not private as such and very sought after by christians and others who want a good standard of eduction with christian values underpinning it. Have friends who teach there so can find out a little more if you wish!

Stella Maris a catholic Primary school just down SH1 in Silverdale is due to be joined by a Secondary school AFIK, not sure when, but the building site is there!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kingsway

Heard today from a parent of 3 kids at Kingsway that the waiting list for places is 600 to 700 so I'd suggest that its out for the OP if they arrive and want to get their kids in there straight away!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard through a friend's wife who is a teacher (not at Orewa) that Orewa College has an OK reputation but I have no personal knowledge. The kids I see around town seem well-enough behaved
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:23 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I have heard through a friend's wife who is a teacher (not at Orewa) that Orewa College has an OK reputation but I have no personal knowledge. The kids I see around town seem well-enough behaved
second that
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:33 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's not what you'd call a 'sought-after school'. I won't say why exactly for risk of offending anyone but it used to have a bit of a bad rep.....for something that most high schools have a problem with.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

No - come out with it. Someone once reported here that they had heard of kids being offered drugs. As you say, it probably happens in most high schools at some stage, and refusing things you are offered is a life lesson which we all have to learn at some stage.
Having said that, I've been living here for two and a half years, I see quite a few Orewa college kids around the place, serving in shops, living next door etc and none of them seem obviously drugged up. They mostly seem like well-behaved, polite, well-spoken kids. Make of all that what you will.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:30 am

It was a bit more than that.

Suffice to say the people I know who live there don't send their kids to the school but bus them elsewhere. I'm not going to say any more - I sense you're already on the defensive.

Kingsway is over-subcribed for a reason.

Last edited by Nerine; Apr 12th 2008 at 3:37 am.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

No, not really defensive - as I said, I have no personal knowledge, just going on what I've seen of kids in their uniforms. As you say, Kingsway is very popular (although also very bible-bashing I understand) and I believe Kristins has a very good reputation too (at a price). I'm not sure where we'll send our kids in 7 or 8 years, but I don't think I'd want them bussing all the way into Westlake or Rangitoto.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:29 am

Westlake have a very strong, zero -tolerance drugs policy, dealing/possession are about the only things that guarantees a ban from school.

I've heard of kids at Rangi turning up drunk after lunch, the ex-principal there was very strongly anti-drugs and used to seek out the local dealers to put his pupils off visiting. Not sure if his successor is as proactive.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

Kazzie

We've just been to Auckland for a recce. We spent an hour with a real estate agent in Parnell who helped us identify areas in Auckland that we could afford. I'd get in touch with someone in the business and pick their brains - it was incredibly useful and they are very helpful. Word of warning though, apparently many areas of North Shore are out of reach on your budget for a 3 bed family home. Good luck and let us know what you find
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has recently returned from teaching in Sydney for 5 years and just spent her first term as principle of a highly regarded school in Auckland.

Prior to going overseas she was the principle at a South Auckland college for 4 years.

Her opinion is that kids that are drawn into the experimental drug scene will find a way whether it is through the school or outside of it.

Some will dabble and move away but sadly some regardless of the education level of the school they attend or their parental supervision will move on into the world of "üsers"

I suspect that for some the only difference may be the quality of the drug of choice they can afford.

If we judge the drug scene by what goes through our courts it seems that the dealers are likely to be from low socio backgrounds and the users tend to be from the more affluent backgrounds.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
"üsers"
Is that an umlaut you're using there Bellasmum, how'd you manage that then? do you have a German keyboard?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Raquel is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: best areas to live near auckland?

I read all your comments about reputation of different schools in Orewa...Thanks! Can I assume that you have been in England? How would you compare behaviour of kids in comprehensive schools around Orewa with inner city schools in England?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

delhaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazzie
Hi, after doing some research into some negative threads a while ago, can anyone recommend a good quiet area to live near Auckland, with good schools and walking distance of good swimming beach. Don't want to be bothered with boy racer noise/gangs etc. I have also read that the north shore beaches should not be swum in after heavy rainfall because of a sewerage problem, which sounds offputting. I know there must be some areas worse than others and some positive threads about the good places to live would be appreciated. We would not want to live in the city, but not too remote either. Looking for a 4/5 bedroom house around 700,000 NZD with a decent sized garden. Hubby needs to commute into Auckland CBD. Good senior school needed. Nowhere in this world is perfect at the moment, and everywhere seems to have a problem with teenagers and bad behaviour. I would hope New Zealand, with it's smaller population and fantastic scenery can overcome these problems and give our family a better life for years to come. It is good to go there with your eyes open to the problems and be fully informed about the good and bad. Any help on the best areas would be appreciated. Thanx
Hi Kazzie,
I have just been out to Auckland looking for good schools and places to live, I will hopefully be out there working in Manukau City very soon. I looked around Dannemora and Howick nice schools and houses. If its a beach area you want the coast road around Beachlands and Maraetai was pleasing to the eye.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.