Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best approach for non skilled ?

Best approach for non skilled ?

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:19 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
bmw_driver's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
bmw_driver will become famous soon enough
Default Best approach for non skilled ?

Hi all,

What’s the best approach for non skilled workers.

We’ve been reading up on the NZ immigration site and it looks like the skilled route
is out of the question for us as we don’t have degrees or any formal qualifications other than basic O levels.

At the moment we both work for Mercedes and have done for the last 10 years, Tracy is currently a project analyst but with several years experience in credit control and I’m a Fleet administer with experience in all aspects of vehicle leasing but also owned and run my own property maintenance company for four years.

We are just about to email the HR department in NZ with ours CV’s and intentions and
are hoping that at least one of us will come out with a job offer, fingers crossed for us.

We’re guessing that an application with a firm job offer will look more favourable ?
bmw_driver is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:27 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Genesis's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,252
Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best approach for non skilled ?

Originally Posted by bmw_driver View Post
Hi all,

What’s the best approach for non skilled workers.

We’ve been reading up on the NZ immigration site and it looks like the skilled route
is out of the question for us as we don’t have degrees or any formal qualifications other than basic O levels.

At the moment we both work for Mercedes and have done for the last 10 years, Tracy is currently a project analyst but with several years experience in credit control and I’m a Fleet administer with experience in all aspects of vehicle leasing but also owned and run my own property maintenance company for four years.

We are just about to email the HR department in NZ with ours CV’s and intentions and
are hoping that at least one of us will come out with a job offer, fingers crossed for us.

We’re guessing that an application with a firm job offer will look more favourable ?
Hi, my understanding is that you will need the above. Many people come here with jobs way off the skills list. As I understand it you need to seek an employment offer from an accredited employer who
can prove their inability to fill the job by an NZ citizen. Its as easy as that. You then apply for PR while you are here on your work visa if that is what you wish to do. NZ has a huge employment problem and there are never enough staff..even totally unskilled ones like me!!

If you really want to be here you will find a job..there are loads of recruitment agencies..just do a Google..and remember THEY CHARGE THE CLIENT..not you.

If they try to walk away and call the next agency. Good luck. NZ is really very, very wonderful, even with all its faults!!!! After 3 years we are still buzzing!!!!
Genesis is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:25 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: i currently live in watford, UK
Posts: 5
emmiegiggles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best approach for non skilled ?

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Hi, my understanding is that you will need the above. Many people come here with jobs way off the skills list. As I understand it you need to seek an employment offer from an accredited employer who
can prove their inability to fill the job by an NZ citizen. Its as easy as that. You then apply for PR while you are here on your work visa if that is what you wish to do. NZ has a huge employment problem and there are never enough staff..even totally unskilled ones like me!!

If you really want to be here you will find a job..there are loads of recruitment agencies..just do a Google..and remember THEY CHARGE THE CLIENT..not you.

If they try to walk away and call the next agency. Good luck. NZ is really very, very wonderful, even with all its faults!!!! After 3 years we are still buzzing!!!!
hi ya, i have just read all your posts. i work in education over here. i have a childcare level 3 qualification (NNEB equivalent) and really interested in coming over to NZ. i have been for a couple of years now. i have found the final decision very hard to make because of family. but i know it is such the est move for my hubby, son and i.

we are now looking very strongly to moving over there and have a year timeline. is this realistic?

Emmie
emmiegiggles is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:38 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Poole, Dorset
Posts: 47
Bonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant futureBonniewoo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best approach for non skilled ?

Originally Posted by bmw_driver View Post
Hi all,

What’s the best approach for non skilled workers.

We’ve been reading up on the NZ immigration site and it looks like the skilled route
is out of the question for us as we don’t have degrees or any formal qualifications other than basic O levels.

At the moment we both work for Mercedes and have done for the last 10 years, Tracy is currently a project analyst but with several years experience in credit control and I’m a Fleet administer with experience in all aspects of vehicle leasing but also owned and run my own property maintenance company for four years.

We are just about to email the HR department in NZ with ours CV’s and intentions and
are hoping that at least one of us will come out with a job offer, fingers crossed for us.

We’re guessing that an application with a firm job offer will look more favourable ?
Hello,

My OH has been in the motortrade for donkey's years and has lots of qualifications but not necessarily the right ones. We sent everything off to NZQA to see if they could assess it all and hopefully come back with the required level, still waiting to hear after two months and hoping no news is good news. Regardless of the result we're still going for it and we're just about ready to put the house up for sale.

Anyway, we contacted www.automotiveemployment.co.nz and they advised that there are shortages in all levels of the motortrade not just the skilled jobs, so if you want to go, you should be able to find something for both of you.

We're going down the work permit route with two kids and dog and will keep everything crossed further down the line that we can get PR.

Good luck to you both & check out the automotive site!

Lisa x
Bonniewoo is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:43 pm
  #5  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 697
James1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to all
Default Re: Best approach for non skilled ?

Originally Posted by bmw_driver View Post
Hi all,

What’s the best approach for non skilled workers.

We’ve been reading up on the NZ immigration site and it looks like the skilled route
is out of the question for us as we don’t have degrees or any formal qualifications other than basic O levels.

At the moment we both work for Mercedes and have done for the last 10 years, Tracy is currently a project analyst but with several years experience in credit control and I’m a Fleet administer with experience in all aspects of vehicle leasing but also owned and run my own property maintenance company for four years.
We are just about to email the HR department in NZ with ours CV’s and intentions and
are hoping that at least one of us will come out with a job offer, fingers crossed for us.

We’re guessing that an application with a firm job offer will look more favourable ?
Take a look at the Business visa - this is probably the best route to get you in.
James1st is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:34 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Genesis's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,252
Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best approach for non skilled ?

Originally Posted by emmiegiggles View Post
hi ya, i have just read all your posts. i work in education over here. i have a childcare level 3 qualification (NNEB equivalent) and really interested in coming over to NZ. i have been for a couple of years now. i have found the final decision very hard to make because of family. but i know it is such the est move for my hubby, son and i.

we are now looking very strongly to moving over there and have a year timeline. is this realistic?

Emmie
Hi Emmie, we did it in 6 months from begin to end, if you have a job offer or are on the skills shortage doing it in a year is easy, the tricky thing in the mix is selling your UK house I understand, is yours sold?? Luckily ours went quickly to someone I dragged off the street who eventually bought it!!

Where are you headed?? Hopefully in 12 months the exchange rate will be in your favour..because it is not now!!!!! We have money in the UK but will not move it because of the awful rate.
Genesis is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:35 pm
  #7  
Maz
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,763
Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best approach for non skilled ?

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
We have money in the UK but will not move it because of the awful rate.
You might want to open a foreign currency account here, in GBP, and move the money over. Simple reason - higher interest rates. Granted, you won't get what they're currently offering for NZ$ accounts here, but I bet it'll be higher than what you're getting in the UK. Worth looking in to.
Maz is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:33 am
  #8  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,225
Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best approach for non skilled ?

With a background like that why aren't you looking at Australia?
Nerine is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.