Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bergy's Moving List - Help/Advice Much Appreciated!

Bergy's Moving List - Help/Advice Much Appreciated!

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bergy's Moving List - Help/Advice Much Appreciated!

Thanx Cappuccino ,
expecially for the tip, otherwise i may look a tad overdressed in me high heels at the PO.

Jacki

Originally Posted by cappuccino
You can organise the PO box through the NZ Post shop. http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...ting%20started

complete the application, scan/fax back and you should be sorted.

Only tip I have - if you are a short person, then request a low box
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

hi again,

i've been looking on trade me and there are so many places i could se as houseshares

do you think i should get a reference from a previous landlord to say i'm a great tenant, or one from my last employer

I understand some rentals ask for references, but i've never had to produce one so who is it meant to be from, old landlord or old boss

I could ask my new boss, but i would have known him all of 5 mins

cheers
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Ird can easily be done here.
Yes get phone unlocked as is a hassle here.
Yes birth certificate, references for all applicable jobs, qualifications etc.
Good luck
Scan copies of all important docs and keep them on a memory stick. We copied absolutely everything - you'll have the obvious originals with you - but if you take everything it'll use up your luggage allowance. Better to send it in your shipping and carry the memory stick with you.

Wish we'd sold our our plugs and extensions/power surge things as a job lot on ebay or at a boot market. Ran out of time, can't use them here - and 10 pounds in our hand over there would have been worth far more than a couple of hundred pounds in a box in the garage.

Look at rentals as soon as you get here, the further into summer you go - the more expensive they become because of short term holiday rentals. They are massively inflated over summer and you have less choice for your budget. A house here can be 390 a week year round, then bounce up to 600/700 a week in summer.

In October it's still pretty cool and the holiday makers aren't turning up - so you'll have some leverage. By the end of November (depending where you are) it's nuts.

Make sure you get something with insulation and either heat pumps or wood burning stove btw, worth paying more rent for and it'll save you money in the long run.

Good luck, you sound very organized
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
Well i got myself a permanent job in Welly and got a 9 month temp visa to enter NZ. I will sort out the visa/PR when i start work in NZ.

I have to start work in mid October so not long left. Just handed in my notice today!

I will post my to do list, so can anyone recommend/advise from their experience on anything on my list!

#3 is a bit tricky - if anyone has similar experience please help!

Thanks

1. Open NZ Bank account - looking at Kiwibank and BNZ at moment
2. Close a few UK bank accounts
3. Find out what to do about student loan! (i'm only 24 so i got a lot left to pay)
4. Do i need to take dental/medical records at this stage? How much will this cost?
5. Take inhalers and prescriptions
6. UK Pension - I was in the Local gov scheme for 1 year. What shall i do about this? Shall i transfer it over at a later stage? Also, will i still get a UK pension if i leave. I've only worked fully for 2 and a bit years making NI contributions. Is that worth anything?
7. Get IRD number - can i do that from the UK?
8. PHONES!! - i am planning on getting a new mobile and unlocking it, ready to go on pay as you go in NZ
9. I need to book flights this week, just need to get final starting date from NZ employer.
10. Am i entitled to a UK tax return since April?
11. Complete P85 - Departure of UK form
12. Cancel Gym membership
13. Organise visits to places to rent in Welly from UK. Work will put me up for first 3 weeks!
14. Sort out what documents i need an original copy of to apply for PR under skilled migration, such as registered birth certificate, as i need them to apply when in NZ

ANything else i need to do desperately?

Hi,

Student Loan - Call them before you leave and let them know what is happening. They will want to know how much you are earning and will work out from that how much you need to pay each month. If you don't want to send money back each month they offer a service where you can leave behind a lump sum or send one back later which they will keep for you and withdraw from each month to cover the repayments. You will just need to top this up as and when it becomes empty. Unfortunately you can't get away from it by moving over here!

I bought a pay as you go phone from one of the mobile retailers (Carphone Warehouse or Phones 4 U I think) and it was already unlocked. Had to pay about 10GBP more for it but at least I didn't have to find somewhere to get it unlocked. Just a warning - I'm not sure if it was the brand of phone (mine is Samsung) or the fact it is from the UK but it wouldn't work on Telecom's network. It works on the Vodafone network which is much better than Telecom anyway!

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:48 am
Just Joined

kiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nice

Well i got myself a permanent job in Welly and got a 9 month temp visa to enter NZ. I will sort out the visa/PR when i start work in NZ.

I have to start work in mid October so not long left. Just handed in my notice today!

I will post my to do list, so can anyone recommend/advise from their experience on anything on my list!

#3 is a bit tricky - if anyone has similar experience please help!

Thanks

3. Find out what to do about student loan! (i'm only 24 so i got a lot left to pay)
4. Do i need to take dental/medical records at this stage? How much will this cost?
6. UK Pension - I was in the Local gov scheme for 1 year. What shall i do about this? Shall i transfer it over at a later stage? Also, will i still get a UK pension if i leave. I've only worked fully for 2 and a bit years making NI contributions. Is that worth anything?
8. PHONES!! - i am planning on getting a new mobile and unlocking it, ready to go on pay as you go in NZ
9. I need to book flights this week, just need to get final starting date from NZ employer.
13. Organise visits to places to rent in Welly from UK. Work will put me up for first 3 weeks!
14. Sort out what documents i need an original copy of to apply for PR under skilled migration, such as registered birth certificate, as i need them to apply when in NZ

ANything else i need to do desperately?
hi there
we moved here 9 months ago so will help if i can
you dont need medical/dental records
take a few inhalers it might take a while to get into a doctors we were on a waiting list for 3 months.

dont know much about pensions but my husband is just about to transfer his.

you need to get a ird number in nz i have just got mine you go to a AA shop fill a form in and they send it off you will get it a few days later in the post(its free) if you have a driving licence you need to apply for a nz one if you intend on staying more than a year (its $51 also at the AA shop) you need all the relavent documents plus photocopys

Trademe is your best bet to start looking for rentals 3 weeks is pleny of time we found one in 3 days but like others have said make sure it has a good source of heating.

dont know who you are flying with or witch way you are going but if you go through the USA you will need a visa.

carnt really help with much else so good luck
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:44 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE lists!

Kiwi bank are great BUT you have to queue at the post office to do your banking.

Don't - forward your mail and leave them open - you never know

You have to keep paying it here depending on what you're earning. They should be able to provide you details.

Nope - nobody cares unless you have an ongoing problem.

YUP - and stock up but be careful if you have a stop over in the Middle East - they'll take them off you.

Get proffesional advice.

Nope - get one here at the post office - really quick takes about a week

Good plan - try 2 Degrees much the cheapest option here.

Get a Frequent flyer card - the miles alone for a one way trip will get you an internal NZ flight!

Yes - fill in the right P form and you'll get some tax back!

That's the one!

...I can reccomend Les Mills here

NOPE - wait till you are here - three weeks is plenty to find somewhere - sure get a short list via trade-me but don't commit until you see them ...and do see more than one or two.

...and keep the originals in your hand luggage and NOT in the stuff you send via the ship! This will include qualifications!!! (I sent mine on the ship and had to get a certified copy from the uni!)
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:27 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Notice couple of people saying stock up on inhalers but I have found them so much cheaper over here, I pay $6 for 3 symbicort and 2 salbutanol (blue inhalers) I do have to pay $14 for prescription but if I send my wife its free Total is $20 and I had to pay £7 for each inhaler in UK I suppose it all depends on how much you pay in UK
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:35 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

ah, yes.....but I'm assuming you're on PR or a 12month+ work visa. if you're a visa that's under 12 months (which bergy says he will be) then you will not be entitled to the $3 fee per script.

We found this out when OH went to the GP and instead of paying ~$30 for the appt it was over $60 and then it was $15 per script.....however, this STILL worked out about the same as paying £7 per item per month in the UK!!

And not related....the GP my OH went to see moved to Welly 6months ago....from 2 streets away from us in the UK! What's the chances, hey!

Bergy....if you're coming to Welly apparently the GP OH registered with is very good (according to OH and other pharmacists I've spoken to in Welly) - he's located in Island Bay.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelloid
ah, yes.....but I'm assuming you're on PR or a 12month+ work visa. if you're a visa that's under 12 months (which bergy says he will be) then you will not be entitled to the $3 fee per script.

We found this out when OH went to the GP and instead of paying ~$30 for the appt it was over $60 and then it was $15 per script.....however, this STILL worked out about the same as paying £7 per item per month in the UK!!

And not related....the GP my OH went to see moved to Welly 6months ago....from 2 streets away from us in the UK! What's the chances, hey!

Bergy....if you're coming to Welly apparently the GP OH registered with is very good (according to OH and other pharmacists I've spoken to in Welly) - he's located in Island Bay.
thanks for your tips!

i have been looking on trademe but i cant sign up from the UK. I have booked an apartment for the first 2 weeks (which my workplace will pay for)
I aim to sign up to Trade Me at that point and respond to a few adverts. I'll have 5 working days in NZ before i start work. Cram in a few vists. I'm looking at Mt Victoria, Thorndon, Kilbernie and Llyal Bay areas at moment, for a house share with 2 or 3 others. Mainly the central and eastern sides. Thorndon if i'm being extremely lazy as its next to work. I'll be working in Thorndon.

I opened up my bank account with National Bank NZ. No fees as well if i put in $2500 a month which my salary should do. They are really helpful, I opened the account on the phone and assigned me a personal banker from now until i'm sorted in NZ to assist in any transactions or questions i have. I was impressed by their service.

With the student loan, i'll call them up. I found a number on their site. Hopefully i can make payments myself at regular intervals. If its not working out, i'll use all my savings and pay it off and just get it out they way. But thats a last resort hopefully.

I called up IRD and will book an appointment in welly when i get there to sort it out.

I aim to transfer to a 2 year work visa by Christmas. The scheme i'm on means i dont have to do another medical or police check to move to the 2 year permit. In 2011 i'll get the PR ball rolling. So hopefully by January 2010 i'll qualify for reduced doctor and prescription fees. I'm stocking up in the UK now. I'm on the blue spray inhalers, the one you puff (if that makes any sense)

I have a couple more questions now

1. Do you recommend i join the Union? I got my paperwork through and it mentions about joining. The cost is $24 a month which sounds steep to me, but as i'm a migrant i could do with some backup should i need it until i know how things work.

2.Kiwisaver - i think i'm automatically enrolled onto this. Should i stick with it or leave it until i know i have PR?

Oh and whats a frequent flyer card? Is that applicable with one airline only?

Thanks again guys
The nearer i get, the more nervous/excited i am!

Last edited by DennisBergkamp; Jul 28th 2010 at 9:01 am.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
You can organise the PO box through the NZ Post shop. http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...ting%20started

complete the application, scan/fax back and you should be sorted.

Only tip I have - if you are a short person, then request a low box
My tip: start cancelling all your UK junk mail, by returning it to sender: marked 'Gone Away' or it will all be redirected to you in NZ.

Don't throw away you Tesco Clubcards etc (like I did) because you can still use them to shop online for pressies and things. Use up any rewards you can before you leave, Boots Advantage Points, WHSmiths and the like.

Apply for your Onecard and Fly Buys cards as soon as you have your PO Box address:

https://www.flybuys.co.nz/pages/default.aspx

http://www.myonecard.co.nz/ as soon as you have you PO Box address.

Get a new address or note book and make sure to write in all the contact details for EVERYONE you know, be they utility companies, doctors, UK banks, old mates or old rellies. Write down birth dates, phone numbers and any info you can, I have found this information invaluable on numerous occasions - especially for filling out those 'important' forms that require your father's birthdate and inside leg measurements. Especially when you need to know it now and can't wait 12 hours to phone your mother / brother / sister.

I also put all my important dates in Google Calendar so I get reminders when it is people's birthdays, wedding anniversaries, UK mother's days and things cos it's easy to lose touch and forget these things when you've nobody around to remind you. You need plenty of warning to remind you to go to the shop and buy the card, rather than posting it at the last minute or on the actual day and blaming the post for it being a week late.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and whats a frequent flyer card? Is that applicable with one airline only?

Thanks again guys
The nearer i get, the more nervous/excited i am!
Depends who you are flying with, check the airline to see which rewards or air miles scheme they use.

eg. Air New Zealand = Aipoints http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints

If you have already booked your flight, still apply for the card as you can usually get the points added retrospectively, if you keep a hold of your boarding pass.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:22 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

OH is working for a bank and says you can't get kiwisaver unitl you have PR, so maybe cancel that...but sign up as soon as you have PR.

If you go to Lyall bay.....do you want to meet for a few beers (or a coffee) - we're just up the (very steep) road from there.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Depends who you are flying with, check the airline to see which rewards or air miles scheme they use.

eg. Air New Zealand = Aipoints http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints

If you have already booked your flight, still apply for the card as you can usually get the points added retrospectively, if you keep a hold of your boarding pass.
As i intend to stay for the longterm, am i allowed into NZ by just getting a one way ticket?

I'm sure i read somewhere that Brits need a return ticket booked, but as i have a visa, am i ok on a one way flight?

Also what shall i do regarding travel insurance? Just have it until i get to Welly?

Last edited by DennisBergkamp; Jul 29th 2010 at 9:18 am.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shelloid
OH is working for a bank and says you can't get kiwisaver unitl you have PR, so maybe cancel that...but sign up as soon as you have PR.

If you go to Lyall bay.....do you want to meet for a few beers (or a coffee) - we're just up the (very steep) road from there.
That would be cool. I'll let you know where i end up nearer the time!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

As i intend to stay for the longterm, am i allowed into NZ by just getting a one way ticket?

I'm sure i read somewhere that Brits need a return ticket booked, but as i have a visa, am i ok on a one way flight?

Also what shall i do regarding travel insurance? Just have it until i get to Welly?
I have a one way ticket. I think if it states on your visa 'Outward passage waived' or if you have a visa for more than a year (as you cant buy return tickets for more than a year in advance) your fine with a one way ticket.

I called round a few travel insurance places to find something as regular insurance wont be valid if your not returning home. There's lots of places do one way policies, some more expensive than others but I eventually got mine with Travel Direct who gave me 10 days cover which covers traveling and my first week in the country for about £20.
HTH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.