Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bergy's Moving List - Help/Advice Much Appreciated!

Bergy's Moving List - Help/Advice Much Appreciated!

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of
Default Bergy's Moving List - Help/Advice Much Appreciated!

Well i got myself a permanent job in Welly and got a 9 month temp visa to enter NZ. I will sort out the visa/PR when i start work in NZ.

I have to start work in mid October so not long left. Just handed in my notice today!

I will post my to do list, so can anyone recommend/advise from their experience on anything on my list!

#3 is a bit tricky - if anyone has similar experience please help!

Thanks

1. Open NZ Bank account - looking at Kiwibank and BNZ at moment
2. Close a few UK bank accounts
3. Find out what to do about student loan! (i'm only 24 so i got a lot left to pay)
4. Do i need to take dental/medical records at this stage? How much will this cost?
5. Take inhalers and prescriptions
6. UK Pension - I was in the Local gov scheme for 1 year. What shall i do about this? Shall i transfer it over at a later stage? Also, will i still get a UK pension if i leave. I've only worked fully for 2 and a bit years making NI contributions. Is that worth anything?
7. Get IRD number - can i do that from the UK?
8. PHONES!! - i am planning on getting a new mobile and unlocking it, ready to go on pay as you go in NZ
9. I need to book flights this week, just need to get final starting date from NZ employer.
10. Am i entitled to a UK tax return since April?
11. Complete P85 - Departure of UK form
12. Cancel Gym membership
13. Organise visits to places to rent in Welly from UK. Work will put me up for first 3 weeks!
14. Sort out what documents i need an original copy of to apply for PR under skilled migration, such as registered birth certificate, as i need them to apply when in NZ

ANything else i need to do desperately?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bergy's Moving List - Help/Advice Much Appreciated!

I cherry picked from the list provided here...
http://www.broadbaseimmigration.co.u...checklist.html
It pretty much covered everything I needed to do and reminded me of a couple of things I'd forgotten about. I only had about 8 weeks to get their 12 month checklist done so it was pretty useful!

Some things from your list;

7. Get IRD number - can i do that from the UK? - As far as I know, no you cant. I think you used to be able to but now you need to be in the country. I think its a pretty easy process once your there though so shouldnt cause a problem.

8. PHONES!! - i am planning on getting a new mobile and unlocking it, ready to go on pay as you go in NZ - You can also get your PAYG sim before you leave so you can have a mobile no. to hand out to people. There's a few sites that provide them and I think ebay usually has a couple. I got mine from http://www.0044.co.uk/newzealand.htm

11. Complete P85 - Departure of UK form - Completing your P85 will identify and tax your due back, should be something.

Think thats all i can help with as I'm still ticking things off on my own lists, you have reminded me to cancel my gym membership though as I'd totally forgotten so thanks for that
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

thanks for the response
some excellent tips!

I looked on Student Loan website and once i start work i'll update them on how much i get paid and then they will calculate how much i need to pay

looks like i cant get away from it!

That weblink yu provided is excellent

I just remembered plugs/convertors for laptops etc

I'm going mental, i only got the job last week, passport is back tomorrow with visa as i had applied before hand

Is it possible to get medical-dental-optical records over to NZ once you have left the UK?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
Is it possible to get medical-dental-optical records over to NZ once you have left the UK?
Hmm, not sure. Do you actually have anything relevant in your records that would mean you'd need them in NZ? I'm not taking any of my actual records as there's really nothing of interest in them.
If you only have a 9 month visa does that mean you didnt need to get medicals/x-rays done before you go? If not and you eventually need to get them done in NZ you wont need your UK records as they do everything from scratch anyway (I certainly didn't need mine for my medical here) Only thing I would say is if you do have anything relevant in your medical history, any operations etc, get a hold of detailed reports from your surgeon before you go as Immigration will probably ask for these when you do get a full medical.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

i did all the medicals and passed
i had to do them as i intend to stay longer than 12 months
So if i update to a 2 year visa when i start work i dont need to do medicals again

I next need to do them when applying for PR

nothing other than mild asthma but i declared that in the medical
i am allergic to penicillin, but i can tell the doc that when i sign

i have my latest eye test results

the dentist will see straight away i eat too much chocolate

i guess your right
and if/when do need them i'll deal with it then

thanks again
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:11 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Well i got myself a permanent job in Welly and got a 9 month temp visa to enter NZ. I will sort out the visa/PR when i start work in NZ.

I have to start work in mid October so not long left. Just handed in my notice today!

I will post my to do list, so can anyone recommend/advise from their experience on anything on my list!

Thanks

3. Find out what to do about student loan! (i'm only 24 so i got a lot left to pay)
4. Do i need to take dental/medical records at this stage? How much will this cost?
6. UK Pension - I was in the Local gov scheme for 1 year. What shall i do about this? Shall i transfer it over at a later stage? Also, will i still get a UK pension if i leave. I've only worked fully for 2 and a bit years making NI contributions. Is that worth anything?
8. PHONES!! - i am planning on getting a new mobile and unlocking it, ready to go on pay as you go in NZ
9. I need to book flights this week, just need to get final starting date from NZ employer.
13. Organise visits to places to rent in Welly from UK. Work will put me up for first 3 weeks!
14. Sort out what documents i need an original copy of to apply for PR under skilled migration, such as registered birth certificate, as i need them to apply when in NZ

We took dental and medical records and they have never been looked at and we both visit doctor and dentists.
I'm ashmatic and pay $6.00 (total) for 3 symbicort and 2 ventolin inhalers plus a $14 fee for prescription.
Ird can easily be done here.
Yes get phone unlocked as is a hassle here.
Yes birth certificate, references for all applicable jobs, qualifications etc.
Good luck
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
We took dental and medical records and they have never been looked at and we both visit doctor and dentists.
I'm ashmatic and pay $6.00 (total) for 3 symbicort and 2 ventolin inhalers plus a $14 fee for prescription.
Ird can easily be done here.
Yes get phone unlocked as is a hassle here.
Yes birth certificate, references for all applicable jobs, qualifications etc.
Good luck
thanks again
great info regarding the inhalers
I'm thinking of using Kiwibank as they have no fees - but then you dont get a cheque book. But i dont know if i need a cheque book when i'm moving into a rented place to pay a deposit etc
BNZ seem pretty good - but i'm not too keen on these service charges! Didnt expect that.

If i can get away without cheques and just use online banking them i will use Kiwibank
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:47 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again
great info regarding the inhalers
I'm thinking of using Kiwibank as they have no fees - but then you dont get a cheque book. But i dont know if i need a cheque book when i'm moving into a rented place to pay a deposit etc
BNZ seem pretty good - but i'm not too keen on these service charges! Didnt expect that.

If i can get away without cheques and just use online banking them i will use Kiwibank
Cheque books pretty redundant over here, no guarentee card so done on trust Most peopledo not have cheque books
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

cool
thats good to know

done a couple of things so far, so much to do!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

DONT cancel your UK bank accounts, just give a new UK address eg family/friends and get your statements online.

Set up post redirection from the UK to a post box in NZ, ideally close to where you will be working as you probably don't know where you will be living.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:40 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Ok, it's late and a few wines later I shall attempt to help...

1. Kiwibank all the way.
2. Close all except one and have any DD's going out of the one and then you have the opportunity for friends family to make B-day/Xmas pressie payments in in Sterling!
3. Don't know. I'm 21 + GST ...
4. I moved here with 4 kids and we didn't bring any dental or medical records ...
5. Yes, stock up on 6 months worth of inhalers before you leave the UK. You won't need prescriptions, or scripts as they're called here, as when you get down to the last ones take them along to a GP here for repeats.
6. Leave and wait ...
7. When we moved over you had to be here before you could get IRD numbers. We literally walked in to our local IRD office and got issued them. Take passport and ID.
8. I got a new mobile here knowing that if it packed up I could get it sorted here.
9. Try lastminute.com
10. I would think you are.
11. Dunno.
12. Yis.
13. If you can contat a few BE members in Welly and research suburbs etc? Most rental agents will want you to be here and view before you committ. 3 weeks is plenty of time to find somewhere suitable. But be prepared to view lots of crap before you find somewhere nice. And if it is nice you may not be the only person applying. I work in rentals and often the best approach is in person, followed up over the phone, and email, and mnore phonecalls, be persistant, but not annoying!
14. Huh?

Not terribly helpful, but it's late and I'm tired!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

prob a silly question but how do you get a PO box?

Originally Posted by cappuccino
DONT cancel your UK bank accounts, just give a new UK address eg family/friends and get your statements online.

Set up post redirection from the UK to a post box in NZ, ideally close to where you will be working as you probably don't know where you will be living.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by killercat
prob a silly question but how do you get a PO box?
I'm looking to get a PO box from here. The charges seem quite reasonable.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

i'm looking to do a househare with other 20 somethings at first so i get to meet people straight away

seen a few on trade me
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

You can organise the PO box through the NZ Post shop. http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...ting%20started

complete the application, scan/fax back and you should be sorted.

Only tip I have - if you are a short person, then request a low box

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.