Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

benefits paid in nz

benefits paid in nz

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

flickjohnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default benefits paid in nz

I am receiving disability benefits (DLA and Incapacity) and am thinking of emigrating soon.

My husband is a qualified IT programmer so I hope to get in as his spouse.

Will it affect our application?

I read somewhere that because of an agreement between GB and NZ, benefits can be paid without having to wait for the normal two years, is this true?

How easy/hard is it to get benefits? I have a recognized condition that makes working impossible.

Does anyone know if my benefits from the uk stop immediately?
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: benefits paid in nz

Originally Posted by flickjohnson
My husband is a qualified IT programmer so I hope to get in as his spouse.
This could be good for a skilled migrant application if the work exp and quals match.

I am receiving disability benefits (DLA and Incapacity) and am thinking of emigrating soon.

Will it affect our application?
Possibly. New Zealand Immigration have a health policy requirement and also look to see if the person will be a drain on NZ resources.

Have you read the Health Requirements

Originally Posted by new zealand immigration
Health: You must be in good health. If your Expression of Interest is accepted and you are invited to apply for residence, you will have to be assessed by an approved doctor. Your application must be accompanied by medical and chest x-ray certificates for each person.

an overview of the Health Requirements please click on the links.

I read somewhere that because of an agreement between GB and NZ, benefits can be paid without having to wait for the normal two years, is this true?
How easy/hard is it to get benefits? I have a recognized condition that makes working impossible.
Does anyone know if my benefits from the uk stop immediately?
Please read the Social security agreement between the United Kingdom and
New Zealand leaflet
- please click the link.

See page 8 and 9

If you are going from the UK to New Zealand
You cannot generally get IncapacityBenefit for any time you spend outside
the UK. But you may be able to get short term Incapacity Benefit for a time if you are going to New Zealand temporarily and you are going for medical treatment, or you have already been incapable of
work for six months.

If you are getting UK Incapacity Benefit and you plan to go to New Zealand, let your Jobcentre Plus/social security office know well before you leave the UK.
You will need to tell them:
• your full name and address;
• your National Insurance number;
• details of the benefits you are getting;
• the date you plan to go to New
Zealand;
• when you plan to come back to the
UK; and
• why you are going to New Zealand.

If you are ill in New Zealand and need to claim New Zealand Sickness Benefit or Invalid’s Benefit, the agreement will allow you to be treated, for the purpose of the residence tests, as if you had been living in New Zealand during any periods when you were living in the UK.
If you come to the UK from
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:14 am
Just Joined

flickjohnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: benefits paid in nz

Thanks for your reply, I found it really helpful.

My condition does not require any medication (only strong painkillers) or medical intervention so I am feeling a little more positive about things and I may not be classed as a 'drain on resources'.

The fact that there seems to be very similar benefits to the ones I am receiving in the UK was very interesting.

If we decide to go (and are accepted) it is good to know I can get some help, if my husband does not have employment when we go (ideally he will be fixed up with something before we go)