Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Being 'Scottish' in New Zealand

Being 'Scottish' in New Zealand

Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:43 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being 'Scottish' in New Zealand

On me hols in Arusha, Kili and then off to Zanzibar and Dar ont he way back.....
My Scottish uncle was there in the 50s and 60s (mainly in Kenya looking after income tax! - hoho, stereotyped or what!)
but he did get to Tanganyika and helped with building some of the huts...... so I am told.......
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
don't know mate -- perhaps they spend too much time around sheep and so are all too "Welsh"...mind...boyo....fair play.....
......anyone else noticed a slight similarity between the Welsh-v-English and Kiwi-v-Ozzie/Pomm thing that goes on....??
......is it "little brother" syndrome .... or just plain defensiveness.....????

/being a Pomm who is about 25% Welsh and married to a wonderful lady who is about 50% Taff, he ducks anyway/
Just in case you are interested, I do not have an inferiority complex, nor have I spent too much time with sheep and I am certainly not anyones little brother.

I have been around the world long enough to know what's best for me.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:57 pm
big dave

Dave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I've been asked several times if I'm Irish.

My accent's proper Yorkshire (Wakefield to be exact).
Now then Fella
Me and the family are from Hull ('ull) and we have been asked if we are from Scotland. Stupid Kiwis or what? Start asking all Kiwis/Split Enz/Pavlovas are from OZ that really pissees them off.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough

I hope they like the Scots as I'm one, but hey wots not to love about us LOL

Anyway I always go on the belief take me as you find me and if you don't like me it's your loss! No doubt i'll be taken as Irish though as I'm either Irish or Australian when I visit the US so god only knows what NZers will think I am LOL

It's all going to be a great adventure so I'll enjoy it and make the most of it. Bit worried about them not doing sarcasim though as its something that comes so naturally
Tracy
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I am sure that the Scots with their free-spending carefree attitude to life are surely AS popular in NZ as they in the UK mmm Yes

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Mar 28th 2008 at 11:41 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:40 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I have always found that being Scottish goes down well when travelling. I first noticed when doing a round Europe trip one summer - people from Athens to Paris were so happy to hear that we were Scottish and not English that I was quite shocked. We even had someone tell us that we should be Nationalists and "kick the English out". Whatever.

I now get mildly annoyed when I hear anti-English sentiment from folk who don't know London from Linlithgow, usually when they fully expect us to join in with it. The reality is, Scots and English are not that different from one another. We definitely have a cuter accent though
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Soon as I mention I'm Scouse I get the usual 'check your bag-check you car-check your purse! And that's from everyone.

In response I usually punch them,steal their purses and then buy a car with their credit cards. Oh how we laugh of an evening!

All the Scottish people I've met here have been Scottish,but some of the Irish haven't.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:45 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by danny.f

In response I usually punch them,steal their purses and then buy a car with their credit cards. Oh how we laugh of an evening!

Know where I can get a wide-screen plasma cheap?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle

Know where I can get a wide-screen plasma cheap?
You know it! And I can get hold of a nice little yacht to get it to you!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:47 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

You know it! And I can get hold of a nice little yacht to get it to you!
I'll see you right.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:27 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

....We definitely have a cuter accent though
nothing more sexy than a Scots lass in full swing...........talking that is!!!!!!1111
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Soon as I mention I'm Scouse I get the usual 'check your bag-check you car-check your purse! And that's from everyone.

All the Scottish people I've met here have been Scottish,but some of the Irish haven't.
Isn't that why the planes never actually stop at John Lennon airport, as they'd be up on bricks before you could say "I thought George Harrison was the talented one too...."
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:01 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

nothing more sexy than a Scots lass in full swing...........talking that is!!!!!!1111

I worked with a (gorgeous) Scots guy down in the south of England. We became great pals (honest just pals). He asked me how the Scots accent went down with "foreign" blokes and informed me a Scots accent was a gift from God for a bloke. He said that when he walked into a foreign pub, as soon as he opened his mouth "he could hear the knicker elastic snapping"!

(It's not the same for us wifies BTW)
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:09 pm
you dewty owld maan!

I worked with a (gorgeous) Scots guy down in the south of England. We became great pals (honest just pals). He asked me how the Scots accent went down with "foreign" blokes and informed me a Scots accent was a gift from God for a bloke. He said that when he walked into a foreign pub, as soon as he opened his mouth "he could hear the knicker elastic snapping"!

(It's not the same for us wifies BTW)

do you do eloqution lessons?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:11 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

do you do eloqution lessons?
hey - there's a thought.... but no money-back guarantee, I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.