British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Being 'Scottish' in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/being-scottish-new-zealand-524431/)

Avid Mar 25th 2008 10:34 pm

Being 'Scottish' in New Zealand

It's a well known FACT that Americans on vacation have a better time of it in the UK (and Europe...and most of the planet) if they pretend to be Canadians.

Does pretending to be Scottish in New Zealand have the same effect?

Or, to put it another way, are the Kiwis warmer towards Scots (or Celts in general) than English people or do they secretly hate all of us equally?

irnbru14 Mar 25th 2008 10:36 pm

Re: Being 'Scottish' in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 6111079)
It's a well known FACT that Americans on vacation have a better time of it in the UK (and Europe...and most of the planet) if they pretend to be Canadians.

Or, to put it another way, are the Kiwis warmer towards Scots (or Celts in general) than English people or do they secretly hate all of us equally?

Yes, helps if you are Scottish of course, but try painting some blue wode on your face, calling yourself a "warrior poet", eat a lot of haggis, have hair the colour of irn bru, display your love of Rod Stewart, wear a kilt ALL THE TIME, say "och aye" a lot and call youself a sweaty sock and you will convince the locals of your scotchness..... :blink:

Avid Mar 25th 2008 10:41 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Or you could copy this chancer....

garryhg Mar 25th 2008 11:13 pm

Being a Scottish family in Nz we have found people quite friendly towards us,although they do tend to ask us what part of Ireland were from when they first speak to us:blink:
A Kiwi did say to us not long after we arrived that they weren't ready to throw the Scots out yet,just the pomms(it was said in a half joking,half serious manner)not sarcastic,because they just don't do sarcasm here..;).jacky

happynz Mar 25th 2008 11:22 pm

When people here hear me speak they usually ask if I am Canadian. I think they are just trying to be polite.

;)

:lol:

RobClubley Mar 26th 2008 12:02 am

I've been asked several times if I'm Irish.

My accent's proper Yorkshire (Wakefield to be exact).

pixi-dust Mar 26th 2008 12:20 am

Normally as soon as I speak someone will start to tell me about their Scottish ancestors. I'm also told never to lose my accent ( that I didn't think I had!) oh and I have been asked quite a few times if I'm Irish as well. And supposedly people with a Scottish accent find it easier to pronounce Maori words cos of our R's - so I've been told anyway!

I don't know if it helps! But I'm definitely not going to resort to drinking Irn Bru - terrrrrible stuff :)

lardyl Mar 26th 2008 12:24 am

Just compare the fortunes of the Big Yin vs Mr Cleese and you probably have it in a nutshell so to speak.......

Bellasmum Mar 26th 2008 6:38 am

Don't sweat the small stuff Avid. Most Kiwi's have some English, Scottish or irish heritage (including Maori).

I spent 11 years in the UK being asked if I was an Aussie.

It's your turn now. ;)

Scottish Family Mar 26th 2008 10:03 am

I thought the Kiwis liked everyone. :D

Call me naive if you like but my kids keep telling me how amazed they are that everyone they meet here is so very polite and well mannered and how everyone is really really friendly towards them.

So far anyway, for them NZ Rocks :thumbsup:

P.S. No-one has asked me if I'm Irish yet.

pascalr Mar 26th 2008 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Bellasmum (Post 6112415)
Don't sweat the small stuff Avid. Most Kiwi's have some English, Scottish or irish heritage (including Maori).

I spent 11 years in the UK being asked if I was an Aussie.

It's your turn now. ;)

So why the inferiority complex?

Avid Mar 26th 2008 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bellasmum (Post 6112415)
Don't sweat the small stuff Avid.

I'm not sweating, I just wondered if pretending to be Scottish* would make life any better, that's all.

*or being a 'professional' Scotsman

lardyl Mar 26th 2008 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by pascalr (Post 6113119)
So why the inferiority complex?

don't know mate -- perhaps they spend too much time around sheep and so are all too "Welsh"...mind...boyo....fair play.....
......anyone else noticed a slight similarity between the Welsh-v-English and Kiwi-v-Ozzie/Pomm thing that goes on....??
......is it "little brother" syndrome .... or just plain defensiveness.....????

/being a Pomm who is about 25% Welsh and married to a wonderful lady who is about 50% Taff, he ducks anyway/

lardyl Mar 26th 2008 11:30 pm

more seriously when we were in Tanzania 10 years or so ago all the Canadains in the party offered to give the Yanks their maple leaf bages to stitch onto their rucksacks when we heard that 2 US Citizens had been killed out of a group of toursists kidnapped close to Kili Airport.
Yanks couldn't bring themselves to get stitching.......:ohmy:
Patriotism can be too strong sometimes..........:confused:

Scottish Family Mar 26th 2008 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6116408)
more seriously when we were in Tanzania 10 years or so ago all the Canadains in the party offered to give the Yanks their maple leaf bages to stitch onto their rucksacks when we heard that 2 US Citizens had been killed out of a group of toursists kidnapped close to Kili Airport.
Yanks couldn't bring themselves to get stitching.......:ohmy:
Patriotism can be too strong sometimes..........:confused:

Hey Lardyl
Where in Tanzania were you? I was in Kampala, Uganda and spent some time at TATCOT (tanzanian training centre for orthopaedic technology) in Moshi, I think.