Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Being retired in NZ

Being retired in NZ

Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being retired in NZ

Originally Posted by carcajou
Damson, what pre-existing ties do you have to New Zealand (ie, is your university degree from there, how many years of NZ experience do you have, etc)?

The most recent Skilled Migrant draws have required 160 points. For many, that is exceptionally difficult to obtain without a job offer or other very significant points-generating ties to New Zealand. An ordinary British couple of near retirement age, say 55, both with university degrees, but no substantial ties to New Zealand, would not come close to meeting the 160 point threshold for this visa.

I am guessing your spouse is not a New Zealand Citizen otherwise you would just go the partner sponsorship route.

Before you head too far down this track I would urge you to look at the various points calculators and see if this is actually a viable pathway for you.

Even with substantial ties it will be difficult. I went to the points calculator and updated the scenario above - British couple, between 50-55, with post-graduate degrees gained in New Zealand, and with the maximum amount of New Zealand work experience, and in an absolute skills shortage area, that the calculator allowed - and it was still short of 160 points.
All noted many thanks. We would only come with a job offer and points-wise are absolutely fine. We are both Brits, hubby is a structural engineer and has been offered two jobs in the past so pretty sure we would be OK but yes, we wouldn't come if not; that would be non-negotiable anyway. Cheers.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
what is retirement age?

i semi retired at 38

I'm 51 but wouldn't want to retire for a few years anyway - I'd be bored!!
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
What age of pensioners are you thinking about? I would say like anywhere else if you are in good health being retired at 65 with plenty of money in the bank to provide for yourself and swan about on holidays then yeah things will be fine; however add ten more years, throw in some poor health and no pot to piss in, then it ain't exactly going to be barrel of laughs.

I don't think the publicly available support is here in the same way that it is in the UK; most here seem to take a dim view of our ever aging population and pensioners are looked upon about as favourably as dole bludgers. You only have to look at media comments to see the bile that's spewed at 'baby boomers' etc. 'sucking on the public teat' (to coin an antipodean phrase not mine).

There's plenty of gold standard private retirement homes that are happy to relieve you of all your hard earned dosh; you would need to you have spare million bucks to pay your way in and from there you can transition through the ever more depressing and expensive levels of support and care until you die.

All noted. Depressing that people are treated like that anywhere isn't it? I hate the fact that in the western world, thanks mainly to the media, teens are now branded snowflakes (something mine definitely aren't) and baby boomers as people who couldn't give a damn about anyone else (something definitely not true of me). We all need to get back to treating people as we find them instead of pigeon-holing.

Cheers
Old Feb 4th 2018, 8:40 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
Uncle had two treatments for brain. Then told no more. tumour still there after 2 years. not growing or reducing. no more treatment is from Tauranga and waikato hospitals.
OK but is that an actual age-related policy?

I had an employee once who passed away with a brain tumour after 1 course of radio and 1 of chemo - the NHS at the time (mid 2000's), wouldn't apply a second round of either treatment. He was early 30's with a young child.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

That’s truly terrible both; so sad