Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Being nosey.........

View Poll Results: Who went over to NZ without ever visiting before & not having the req skills for PR?
Yes-we had visited NZ before we moved
41.67%
No-we had never visited NZ before we moved
58.33%
Yes-we had no problems in obtaining a work permit etc once in NZ
16.67%
No-we have found it difficult to get a work permit, PR etc
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Being nosey.........

Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:33 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Being nosey.........

Hello All

I am now going over our NZ options with Andy, I have suggested maybe we just risk it and go over to NZ without a reccie & try and secure a job and then get work permit etc etc etc ....

As many of you know even though we are both "skilled" in what we do - neither of us fit into "NZ's Skilled Requirements"..... So any of you who have gone out to NZ without EVER visiting & who also did not fit into the visa categories etc - how are you getting on?

Andy is a little concerned about doing this - I reckon he thinks I am going off on one again - maybe its because we are watching Billy Connelly today
Old Mar 29th 2007, 2:00 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Being nosey.........

[QUOTE=andy&georgina;4577623]Hello All

Howdo
i am in the same position as you, unable to do a reccie trip, am skilled here in th UK but because my qualifications are not quite comparible, not on the skilled list!
however , taken the bull by the horns , got myself a job they are going to sort WTR visa out etc & planning to land mid september ( still finalising location) so will let you know!!!!! however im sure there is someone whos done it more recently & be able to advise.....
good luck...
Old Mar 29th 2007, 2:54 pm
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice

Hiya

Im sure you know my reply to this..... but we are just going to go, although Rich has been before. We are ff to the Expo this weekend though as would prefer to have jobs before we go, but the excitement of the whole thing is making me want to go right now.....

although i dont think im making much sense at the moment as full of cold.

Fi
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:18 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
Hello All

I am now going over our NZ options with Andy, I have suggested maybe we just risk it and go over to NZ without a reccie & try and secure a job and then get work permit etc etc etc ....

As many of you know even though we are both "skilled" in what we do - neither of us fit into "NZ's Skilled Requirements"..... So any of you who have gone out to NZ without EVER visiting & who also did not fit into the visa categories etc - how are you getting on?

Andy is a little concerned about doing this - I reckon he thinks I am going off on one again - maybe its because we are watching Billy Connelly today
My friend went over there and applied for visas once she had found herself a job...she found it much quicker and easier getting medicals and visas once there than some seem to while still in uk.

This probably doesn't help you much but i thought her take on getting visas once there helpful

decision making karma coming your way
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:38 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning oh Nosey One Well, you know I'd never visited and also was in a different situation being married to a Kiwi but still.... I still had to apply for PR, still had to get a work permit in the meantime and I'd no problem getting a job. G, the only problem I can see is that the agencies don't want to deal with you without PR so you'll have to apply directly to companies. This is no biggie and I'm just about to start my third job here without having to go through an agency.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:58 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We never visited before hand and I doubt it would have made any difference even if we had. I was a bit shocked at how tatty Christchurch looked when we first arrived and how cold the wind was when a cloud covered the sun but the place must have grown on me now cos I'm still here. We moved out of the city though, it was my idea of hell on earth and the rural life suits me better
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
Hello All

Hi,
As ive said before, we came over with nothing but ourselves and 3 children in November. Although my husband has microsoft qualifications none of them are recognised here. So without even a visit we sold up and came out. Once OH had a job offer we applied for a workpermit.
As soon as he had that we put in an EOI which was picked out and were now sorting our police checks for our ITA.
Were not going back, this is home now.
Carole
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:32 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't quite as brave as some others. Although we'd never been before, we did have the PR visas and we also had a job secured for hubbie. We - 2 children aged 10 months and 8 years then left with house sale finalised 48 hours previous and the contents on a ship with one-way tickets to Auckland. Tears rolled down my face as we took off from Heathrow and landed in Auckland - not because I was sad to say goodbye, but just really proud at what we had done. We have had a ball so far (18 months) - loads of ups and downs. I don't think visiting beforehand would have achieved anything for us and it all added to the adventure to start from scratch not knowing anything. I can honestly say hand on heart that we'd do it again in another country - and even thinking about doing so; not because we don't like it here, but more because we want to go and experience more of the world. Thankfully our eldest daughter is fully supportive of us doing this, so watch out.... middle or far east here we may come!
Good luck whatever you decide to do - if your decision is already set to leave the UK then I don't think it matters where you are destind for if you have the right attitude then you can make it. If you are umming and arring about whether you want to leave the UK then perhaps you need to do a little more research. Whatever you decide to do a positive attitude is the way, and remember that anything you do that doesn't work can be changed - you can allways go back to the UK if it doesn't work, but the worst thing would be to chicken out and then have the forever "what if" in the back of your mind.
Good luck.