Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Being a "kept man" in NZ???

Being a "kept man" in NZ???

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:58 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being a "kept man" in NZ???

Originally Posted by niseysOH
I've been doing the 'house husband' thing for about 2 years now and our youngest has just passed 2 years old.

Similar to someone above i used to be a police officer and did that for 14 years but it was time for some hard choices when kids arrived as my wifes career was the one that would go places so i took the role of bringing up the little ones so she could move her career on and its worked very very well.

When we land in NZ i'll be doing the same but within the next year or so we plan for me to get back to work which will be a shock...

Without a shadow of doubt bringing up our two little girls as the one who's at home is the best thing i've ever done and i wouldn't change it for anything.

Being a 'kept' man is superb..............
Will certainly miss the time with the kids but we now have more time at the weekends so that should make up for it. The experience has brought me and MrsL closer together as we know more of each other's role in the family unit. Good luck to all who embark on the NZ adventure as role-reversed or house-husbands, we have even more to learn/gain. :-)
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lardyl
Just to let everyone know I am no longer a kept man and officially as of today MrsL works shorter hours than I do - we survived and so did the kids, just!!
you work in Newmarket dont you? so do I
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello yet another "kept man".............. my Rob was offically my "House Spouse, when we arrived in NZ and for the first 2 and a half years. He does a great job with our kids, but is now a full time (2nd year) student).

Gill
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
you work in Newmarket dont you? so do I
hehe, its a nice spot but a damn orrible commute from the HBC!
My building overlooks the wee fire they had on Teed Street - the neon sign that was!!
MrsL had a fun afternnon out with the girls in Newmarket the other weekend - thank God she was only window shopping!!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:53 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

We're planning on hubby being a kept man in NZ. He'll have his music to do, too, and a couple of part-time rep jobs on the back burner as well, but our plan is to not *have* to rely on having two salaries.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lardyl
hehe, its a nice spot but a damn orrible commute from the HBC!
My building overlooks the wee fire they had on Teed Street - the neon sign that was!!
MrsL had a fun afternnon out with the girls in Newmarket the other weekend - thank God she was only window shopping!!
I work on Carlton Gore Road, next to the Lion Breweries

I commute via train from West Auckland, takes about 40-50 mins dependinging on train slightly less if on an express train (less stops)...not sure I commute from Hibiscus way
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:14 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Ha ha ha! Lovin the thread

The way it's going at the moment, my missus will be the one keeping us in bacon, as I've not even looked at work yet. I think I need to get my finger out - althought the mention of beachbabes has made me lose my enthusiasm somewhat

Good job the Ton hasn't got on here yet.... you ain't seen me - right!?

The Wiz part of Wiz'n'Ton

I was reading the beginning of this thread............

Funny how life turns out Wiz!!!!!!

oops sorry forgot, you're at work so won't be reading this

Last edited by P2L; Jul 4th 2007 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:23 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Yep, me too but getting a hard time about getting a job after 4 months here, doing "nothing"
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
Yep, me too but getting a hard time about getting a job after 4 months here, doing "nothing"
this 'nothing' what does it entail