Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Being a Dr in new zealand

Being a Dr in new zealand

Old May 3rd 2016, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

SimpsonA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Being a Dr in new zealand

How is it different to working for the NHS? My wife is a doctor and is pretty fed up with the NHS. New zealand recruitment popped up on her twitter and she is keen to head over for at least a year. It might be better than the uk, cant be worse!
She is SHO level or Junior registrar level.
I'm a tree surgeon but have lots of other skills so confident i can get a job.
I know NZ wont be paradise and it will be difficult starting out again but we have moved 3 times in the last 3 years for the NHS so maybe its time we moved for our interests.

Alan
Old May 3rd 2016, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being a Dr in new zealand

That's a bit of a wide ranging question - I work with House Officers as a Nurse but if you give me some more indication of WHAT frustrates your wife I can probably paint some broad brush strokes for you.
Old May 3rd 2016, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

yeah did end up a bit waffley sorry.

Annalee never leaves work on time, doesnt get a break and feels stretched too thinly.

So guess the question is. Are hospitals in NZ properly staffed and is the work/life balance better because of it.
Old May 3rd 2016, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

You do hear similar accounts of junior doctors at hospitals working very long hours, but I dont know whether its better or worse than the UK.
Old May 4th 2016, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Start here https://www.mcnz.org.nz/home/doctors...n-new-zealand/
Old May 7th 2016, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimpsonA
How is it different to working for the NHS? My wife is a doctor and is pretty fed up with the NHS. New zealand recruitment popped up on her twitter and she is keen to head over for at least a year. It might be better than the uk, cant be worse!
She is SHO level or Junior registrar level.
I'm a tree surgeon but have lots of other skills so confident i can get a job.
I know NZ wont be paradise and it will be difficult starting out again but we have moved 3 times in the last 3 years for the NHS so maybe its time we moved for our interests.

Alan
Tokoroa could be a could option?

Lots of forestry work and widely known job vacancy for good doctor on good pay deal.
Old May 7th 2016, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

This is the vacancy Parnell is refering to
The $400,000 smalltown job that no one wants - Business - NZ Herald News

It would seem to be the perfect place for both of your careers....if you could live in Tokoroa
I know people who do...i couldnt
Old May 7th 2016, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

fiddler is an unknown quantity at this point

I am making a move to nz after working 12 years in the NHS, last 4 years as a Consultant. I have spoken to some of my ex nhs colleagues who worked in NZ Public Health Service. From what I gather, Grass is not greener on other side. It will depend on what area of NZ and what speciality. For me I am seeing it as a be a different experience for better or for worse. I have given myself 5 years to see how it goes. I do not want to come to a point in my career few years wondering what could have been if I had made a move to NZ. For me the main draws are warmer weather and a more outdoor sporty life and comes at a point in my life where I am not tied up with children yet to start school. Pay wise I would be earning lesser and saving even lesser as I understand NZ is going to be quite expensive for me.
Old May 7th 2016, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

fiddler is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest you speak to one of the good recruitment agency who can put you in touch with doctors whom they have already placed or attend one of their open days. I know one which will be in couple of weeks time
Old May 7th 2016, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiddler
I as I understand NZ is going to be quite expensive for me.
I do get weary of chanting this mantra

Don't go to Auckland

Life is not expensive in nz if you choose to
live and work outside the super city
Old May 8th 2016, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Yeah i understand that the grass might not be greener.
I think we are going to give it a go, thanks to facebook we have been in touch with a few people that are working in the healthcare over there.
If we dont go and try we will be wondering what might of been. Life in the NHS is tough and we have to move every year anyway for new training posts and jobs so New zealand is worth a go!
Been in touch with some recruitment agencies so will hopefully have some job offers by the end of the week.
So then we need to decide where in New zealand to go, which could be more difficult to work out.
Old May 8th 2016, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I've been back to blighty, I notice how
people look so miserable, like they have the weight
of the world on their shoulders

Just being away from that is enough to make you feel
its a good move

Good luck
Old May 9th 2016, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Iggydoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I was completed by medical training in the NHS and moved to NZ for my first consultant post. While the NHS is far from perfect, there are more opportunities to do specialty related training in UK than in NZ. There is also compeitition here to get into a training position in NZ and not having trained here may be a disadvantage.
Old May 11th 2016, 9:47 am
Just Joined

A few job offers have been coming in. New Plymouth looks nice, also had dunedin and Whanganui hospital offer jobs.

Annalee isnt qualified as a GP so that job that nobody wants is no good. $400,000 salary would of been nice!!
Old May 11th 2016, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

nabjeen is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Pakistani Dr working in Ireland from last 2 years. I am also looking to find information to move to new zealand. being a non Europeans I have almost no chance to become a consultant or to get advance training post in Ireland and that's the main motive for me to look for a move.
I want to move to Australia but for that I will have to do Australian exams but for new zealand I will be exempt if I work 33 month in Ireland.
Your wife seems British graduate and i think she must have done internship as well from UK. In that case she must be eligible to work in Australia too. I see almost every Irish graduate is moving to Australia or new zealand. Most prefer Australia. I wonder why don't you give a try to Australia which offers much higher salaries and work burden is definitely less, number of calls are less, more sunny, better training opportunities being a big country. I want to go there but I am not European graduate so I have to confine myself to gather info only about my chances of career in new Zealand.
I will tell you in short the story of a few irish graduates who moved to new zealand as SHO. As per them work burden is less, calls are less, hospitals are well staffed,they are making 6-8000 dollars per month after tax, lunch at hospitals is free, all the medical courses and exams are paid by the hospital,even medical councils annual fee will be paid the hospital. responsibility is less.they even say more saving in new zeald than ireland. Salaries are better for junior dr. Salary of Reg will be 65000 euro in new Zealand but it will be 50000 euro for grade 1 Reg in ireland. But still earning seems less than uk because locum is less easily available there. That what all I heard from them about NZ.

Last edited by nabjeen; May 11th 2016 at 7:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.