Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Before buying a house in Wellington....

Before buying a house in Wellington....

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:43 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Before buying a house in Wellington....

When buying a house in Wellington, can anyone tell me what information is given regarding earthquake, land slip and tsunami risk.

The council publish a risk map for Central Wellington, Porirua, and the Hutt Valley. http://www.gw.govt.nz/story4258.cfm. This gives general risk levels but do surveys of houses include more detail with regards to what design and build factors have been taken to protect the building.

Are there specific building regulations regarding the buildings ability to withstand earth tremors? If so when did the come in?

Are there more detailed council plans like the Land Registry in the UK where risk assessments are shown (in the UK they show things like old waste tips, mining, hazardous chemicals etc.)?

What if anything did people living in Wellington think and do about the risks before buying a house here?

Thanks

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Before buying a house in Wellington....

Now you have got me thinking, just checked the map and it appears we are low risk well at least i hope we are please tell me im right Jan dont fancy dissapearing down the valley.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:29 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
Now you have got me thinking, just checked the map and it appears we are low risk well at least i hope we are please tell me im right Jan dont fancy dissapearing down the valley.
You'll be fine - just slide down hill a little...my little house in Seatoun will shake to bits, sink into the mud and 15 mintues later be washed away by a tidal wave !

Seroiusly though Newlands is mostly a lower risk area but like you say it's difficult to see from the large scale council maps which is why i asked if there were any more detailed maps or surveys when you buy a house

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Dec 3rd 2008 at 4:32 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
You'll be fine - just slide down hill a little...my little house in Seatoun will shake to bits, sink into the mud and 15 mintues later be washed away by a tidal wave !

Seroiusly though Newlands is mostly a lower risk area but like you say it's difficult to see from the large scale council maps which is why i asked if there were any more detailed maps or surveys when you buy a house
OMG lets hope nothing happens Saturday night dont like the sound of sinking in to the mud and being washed away by a tidal wave
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed there are, when you get the LIM (Land Information Memorandum) all will be revealed.

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/lim/lim.html

A property report can also be obtained, before you go ahead and make any offers at https://www.qv.co.nz/ it gives some basic ratings on earthquake, wind and flood risks.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

When buying a house in Wellington, can anyone tell me what information is given regarding earthquake, land slip and tsunami risk.

The council publish a risk map for Central Wellington, Porirua, and the Hutt Valley. http://www.gw.govt.nz/story4258.cfm. This gives general risk levels but do surveys of houses include more detail with regards to what design and build factors have been taken to protect the building.
Are there specific building regulations regarding the buildings ability to withstand earth tremors? If so when did the come in?

Are there more detailed council plans like the Land Registry in the UK where risk assessments are shown (in the UK they show things like old waste tips, mining, hazardous chemicals etc.)?

What if anything did people living in Wellington think and do about the risks before buying a house here?

Thanks

You think NZ houses have design and build factors to withstand earth tremors??

Apart from checking the zone as you mentioned, if your house is on any sort of slope, or on struts, ensure that your builders reports considers the implications of this especially.

I would think in an earthquake your house is either going to rattle a bit (so what) or be completely destroyed.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Could anyone tell me if house insurance in NZ typically includes earthquake cover?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:12 pm
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by zoglet
Could anyone tell me if house insurance in NZ typically includes earthquake cover?
Yes - basically the government insures a house and contents up to a certain ammount (can't remember what this level is) and your house and contents insurance will cover the rest in most policies. (I think if I am reading my policy details correctly!)
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:18 pm
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by Browner_
You think NZ houses have design and build factors to withstand earth tremors??

Apart from checking the zone as you mentioned, if your house is on any sort of slope, or on struts, ensure that your builders reports considers the implications of this especially.

I would think in an earthquake your house is either going to rattle a bit (so what) or be completely destroyed.
I was told but would like more details if anyone has them, that the foundations of houses can be on reinforced concrete rafts rather than piles or trenches as in the UK. This means for small amounts of ground movement the whole structure will move together rather than crack. I was also told that new hosues have flexible gas and water connections again to allow for small amounts of movement.

Like you say however these measures only help up to a point.

I just wondered if anyone, who has bought or upgraded a house, has any specifics about what measures (if any) are taken.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

We've experienced about 9 in Wellie on our trips down there. 3 quite strong ones lasting over 30 secs the rest sort of noticeable but nothing to make you run to a corner!
One woke us up about 7am.
The way I look at it- at my age anything that makes the bed shake and the earth move is not to be sneered at and certainly not to be worried about!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Wow thanks for that - it actually made reassuring reading re where I live....one reason to be glad we are not buying..at least in UK you only have to worry about flood risk.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in Paraparaumu and travelled daily to Wellington. Basically, Wellington and the gorge out of it are built on a fault line and should there be a really serious quake it would be difficult to get into or out of the city. However, this hasn't happened yet and hopefully the seismologists would warn you.

Earthquakes and tremors are a part of life in this area and you get used to it. If it's really bad you get under a table or a doorway just in case (I can only remember one instance in 10 years), but mostly you ignore it and carry on. I remember an amusing visit from some UK rellies who turned white as the house started to shake. We all ignored it and couldn't understand their blind panic. The houses and buildings should allow for earthquake movement in this area, just as south island homes have to allow for snow loading and insurance usually covers.

Last edited by kiwinow; Dec 4th 2008 at 1:21 am.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:11 am
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes indeed there are, when you get the LIM (Land Information Memorandum) all will be revealed.

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/lim/lim.html

A property report can also be obtained, before you go ahead and make any offers at https://www.qv.co.nz/ it gives some basic ratings on earthquake, wind and flood risks.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Yes - basically the government insures a house and contents up to a certain ammount (can't remember what this level is) and your house and contents insurance will cover the rest in most policies. (I think if I am reading my policy details correctly!)
Thanks Wooly! I appreciate your reply!