British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Beetroot.....is it me? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/beetroot-me-692687/)

hazeandsteve Nov 8th 2010 2:58 am

Beetroot.....is it me?

Not what you're expecting here, cos i've always loved it, and putting it on a burger is, in my opinion, an inspired move.
No, what I am after is advice.
We can only get it in a can, and if left open, it goes off. So, we transfer to a jar and refrigerate, but still seems not to keep.
Now, did it used to be pickled in UK? Says on the can here that it's in water!
Is there an as yet undiscovered by us method of extending the life of my favourite salad ingredient?

Expat Kiwi Nov 8th 2010 3:24 am

Re: Beetroot.....is it me?

Can't say we've had this problem as the can usually gets devoured as soon as its opened :D

Try putting it in small container, sprinkle over some vinegar, cover and keep in the fridge. See how that works.

Charismatic Nov 8th 2010 3:59 am

Now it’s bloody beetroot, will you people never be happy? ;)

One of my local shops gets nice ones that come in big glass jars. Pricey though, good money in that there beetroot! :D

Woodpigeon Nov 8th 2010 4:05 am

Buy fresh, and cook and pickle it yourself ............ not that I've done that since years before we moved here :rofl:

Haven't had an issue of it lasting in the fridge (in a sealed plastic container with some of the 'juice' from the tin), but I don't think it is pickled - had a similar conversation with my daughter just the other day! We've also found that the Watties ones are pretty tasteless and prefer the Oak brand.

hazeandsteve Nov 8th 2010 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8968117)
Now it’s bloody beetroot, will you people never be happy?....

Don't get me wrong, it's only the lack of longevity that drives me to distraction, not a kiwi/UK comparison.
All I want to know is how to cut down the amount I throw away.
We also have Oak, and it's kept in a sealed jar once the tins opened, in the juice it comes in. Just seems that if a bit isn't submerged it goes traffic light......red to green

chocolate cake Nov 8th 2010 8:43 am

I just buy it fresh. It's great raw,chopped in sticks and mixed with carrots, light olive oil and pepper dressing. Also super roasted too.

nelsonpom Nov 8th 2010 8:53 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 8968057)
Not what you're expecting here, cos i've always loved it, and putting it on a burger is, in my opinion, an inspired move.
We can only get it in a can, and if left open, it goes off. So, we transfer to a jar and refrigerate, but still seems not to keep.
Is there an as yet undiscovered by us method of extending the life of my favourite salad ingredient?

It is pickled in the UK, which is what I do here ...:D

pangor Nov 10th 2010 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 8968057)

I have pickled my own - just boil them peel them, slice and put in a jar with vinegar and spices ( whatever you fancy, I used cumin, cinnamon black peppercorns and orange peel). Don't know how long they keep because they were gone in a week!

here is a recipe

or how about . . . a gloriously pink beetroot soup , just make lots and freeze some

peter

Stormer999 Nov 11th 2010 1:45 pm

Even better with chillies thrown in.......:D