British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Beer in Wellington 16th - 24th June (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/beer-wellington-16th-24th-june-670743/)

iduffy Jun 2nd 2010 9:50 am

Beer in Wellington 16th - 24th June

We are thinking of moving from Derby, UK to Wellington. Still early days in getting organised, but we are having a two week holiday in NZ from 12th to 26th to do a recce. OH and two year old son are very excited. First time on a plane for the little one - :ohmy: / :D . (Not sure which yet!)

We'll land in Auckland and got a camper van so we can spend a few days pootling down to Welly and back to see more of the rest of the country.

Anyone up for a beer during these dates to talk about expat life and pass on any friendly advice?

We'll be doing a bit of travelling around tyring to decide where to live. Also, I'm a freelance software developer and want to gauge what the market is like for doing business. Currently rent office space in Derby, may need to do same in Welly if can't rely on good connection speed at our future home.

Cheers

Ian

pricklykina Jun 3rd 2010 7:56 am

Re: Beer in Wellington 16th - 24th June

Well I won't be in Welly, but have to mention that Wellington got voted best city for a winter break in NZ the other week by kiwis.
Heaps to do, even when the weather is shocking so I hope you all have fun:thumbup:

cleverchap Jun 7th 2010 11:09 am

Wellington is one of the best places to live in NZ.
Where you staying whilst in Wellington? In your camper or will you be renting a hotel room for a couple of days to use as a base?

iduffy Jun 7th 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by cleverchap (Post 8616645)
Wellington is one of the best places to live in NZ.
Where you staying whilst in Wellington? In your camper or will you be renting a hotel room for a couple of days to use as a base?

We'll be staying in a campervan the whole time. That way, we can make up our itinerary as we go along. Do you have any tips for the best places to live in/around Wellington? We intend to check out the property market and do lots of driving around.

PSW2010 Jun 7th 2010 1:21 pm

as for living in welly, depends what you want, beaches / shops / schools ( i assume), new housing developments / older houses,
I personally enjoy living around the eastern suburbs, (lyall bay, seatoun, miramar areas), beaches everywhere, nice & peaceful places, good for the city, but I love it up Kapiti but the commute is a bit too long for me to the city.
As for the camper van trip, when we did it across the north island, there is lots to see, but there can be long periods of driving, it's not as 'stop off and do something there' as the south island, if i were you i'd be tempted to go to either bay of islands or cormandel, but it's winter & you may be restricted time wise.
Any help happily given, just post a reply if you want more info

cleverchap Jun 7th 2010 11:32 pm

what they said /\ /\ /\:D

Really depends what you want, but if you are coming to Welly in your camper just remember you can park up in Wellington for 1 night on the side of the road (so long as the camper is self contained), so could save you some camping fees.:thumbup:

You might be better off trying to arrange your stay so you are in Wellington over a weekend, that way you could take in a few open homes. In NZ most homes that are for sale are open to view at fixed times over a weekend (usually Sunday's) and you can just turn up and have a look.
Try looking at remax, trademe, harcourts, and tommys websites.

simonmarkellis Jun 10th 2010 5:01 am

I'll be up for a beer or coffee after work one day next week if your around and just want to get the low down on live in Wellington... PM if you want...

PalangIan Jun 11th 2010 7:35 am

Hello Mate
Exciting times for you ahead! I am sure you will love New Zealand. I have been here 3 years now and have been in Wellington for 2 of them. Its a great place with lots to see and do. Let me know when your around can catch up for a Speights or Monteiths.....good beer here :-)

Ian

021 270 3696