Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Beer in New Zealand?

Beer in New Zealand?

Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:57 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beer in New Zealand?

Rumour has it that NZ has some rather splendid beers for us chaps - and you ladies too if you can put down the Sauvignon Blanc!

So let's celebrate with my favourite - Monteiths Summer Ale - Nectar from the Gods.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:13 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: Beer in New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Biddy
Rumour has it that NZ has some rather splendid beers for us chaps - and you ladies too if you can put down the Sauvignon Blanc!

So let's celebrate with my favourite - Monteiths Summer Ale - Nectar from the Gods.
indeed Monteiths, all varieties, and IMO macs, and even steinlager if that is your thing are fine beers - amongst however an overwhelming sea of total dishwater.

as for the sav blanc i think it is highly overrated, cloying, in the most part blended and full of preservatives.... give me a nice sancerre or pouilly fume any day

Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:24 am
livewire

I'll put down my glass of Nautilus Sauvignon Blanc for a moment and agree with you about the Summer Ale - a rather spicy, honey flavoured brew. Unlike the Sav Blanc it's best drank straight from the icy bottle, very fast.

Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:30 am
turkeytickler

Macs copperhop has to be my fave.... i do love montys summer but i think it tastes like something you should have at xmas (which i suppose is summer in nz so point taken).....

Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:36 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire
I'll put down my glass of Nautilus Sauvignon Blanc for a moment and agree with you about the Summer Ale - a rather spicy, honey flavoured brew. Unlike the Sav Blanc it's best drank straight from the icy bottle, very fast.
Disagree with your observations!

I do find that that Sav Blanc is best drunk quickly straight from the icy bottle!

Haven't a clue what this site is like - it has beer in the title and it's from NZ
http://www.realbeer.co.nz/
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:38 am
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
Macs copperhop has to be my fave.... i do love montys summer but i think it tastes like something you should have at xmas (which i suppose is summer in nz so point taken).....
A couple of icy Summer Ales whilst sizzling some steak on the barbie has to be a great way to spend 20 mins!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:55 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Biddy
A couple of icy Summer Ales whilst sizzling some steak on the barbie has to be a great way to spend 20 mins!
yeah... yeah.... im with you.....

Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:41 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We brew our own, I actually prefer it to the stuff you can buy in the shops and it's a lot stronger!
Steinlagers ok ish ... has to be freezing cold though
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:13 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by sky
We brew our own, I actually prefer it to the stuff you can buy in the shops and it's a lot stronger!
Steinlagers ok ish ... has to be freezing cold though
jeez - i tried that once - gave me the two bob bits for about 3 days after... you must have a good technique or an iron constitution!

Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:51 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think it's the technique

You just have to make sure everything is sterile and it turns out great every time
Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:23 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by sky
Don't think it's the technique

You just have to make sure everything is sterile and it turns out great every time

what do you call it?