Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Been in NZ nearly 4 months

Been in NZ nearly 4 months

Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been in NZ nearly 4 months

Hiya everyone.

Hasnt the time flown!! Well, it has for us anyway. We arrived here on June 12th so been here for nearly 4 months now!

We are still living in Beachlands and still loving it. I love the countryside round here but also love the fact that we are only 20 minutes from a couple of major shopping areas in Auckland.

The homesickness is definately easing. I still miss my family a lot but I speak to them every week and that helps enormously. (Thank gord for Skype) I wouldnt like to go back to the UK winter now anyway....hey I want a summer....I'm well overdue one!! We went from spring to winter, now its spring again...roll on summer!!

The weather has been a mixed bag thats for sure. In June it was beautiful then July it seemed to rain all day every day... August was totally gorgeous and now September and October are a bit wet to say the least!! I keep asking people "when is it going to stop raining?" and the answers are all the same "oh it can be like this until december now....but thats why its so green here" lol.... At least the rain is filling up our water tanks! But it has been difficult trying to keep an active nearly 2 year old occupied over the last 2 weeks as its school holidays and theres no PlayGroups on.

I've met some nice people, I have to admit that most of my new friends are british ex-pat.... strange but we just seem to get on with each other.

One of the biggest things for me was leaving my beloved horse at home in the UK with my friend. When I got to Beachlands I did briefly enquire as to how much it was to keep a horse here and the lady said it was expensive and gave me a figure. I tried to forget about having another horse and got more and more unhappy and stressed out....rather a bitch to live with! In the end I met a local horsey lady and asked her about keeping horses here and the figure was much lower than what the first lady had said!! So I secured a place at a local grazing livery yard and went onto TradeMe in search of the perfect partner. Hes young, tall, dark, handsome and well bred and hey now hes mine! Yeah! He's made so much difference...I felt like I had a limb missing before but now I feel much more settled here...he has helped so much. I've also helped the horse as he was a failed trotter and was destined for the Petfood Factory down the Motorway.

We still say we will give it the full 2 years here to decide whether we want to stay or not, and before possibly selling UK houses. I moan about the weather here (hey Im a pom I'm meant to whinge!) but it sure is milder than the UK...as soon as the sun manages to make an appearance its lovely.

My partner moans about the travelling he has to do to get to work in Auckland but since we've been here he's been off-roading, skiing, boozing with colleagues....yeah and a bit more boozing...hes also taken up sea fishing and caught 2 fish last week so was well happy!

Its taking time but we are getting there. Nothing lands on your lap so you have to make it happen. I'm thinking of getting a little part time job so that will help again towards being more settled.

Good luck to everyone moving this week and good luck to all of you still waiting for news... Make sure you bring a waterproof coat, some wellies, a brolly and some sun cream!!

Cheers

Sarah B
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been in NZ nearly 4 months

Hi Sarah
really pleased to read that things are still progressing for you - and I know what you mean about the weather - we were out and about in Auckland today and one minute it was raining and then the sun would come out and it was glorious and really quite mild.
Can't believe it's been 4 months - just hope that we can start settling as quick as you have.
All the best
Lee & Vicki
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:07 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hiya everyone.

Hasnt the time flown!! Well, it has for us anyway. We arrived here on June 12th so been here for nearly 4 months now!

We are still living in Beachlands and still loving it. I love the countryside round here but also love the fact that we are only 20 minutes from a couple of major shopping areas in Auckland.

The homesickness is definately easing. I still miss my family a lot but I speak to them every week and that helps enormously. (Thank gord for Skype) I wouldnt like to go back to the UK winter now anyway....hey I want a summer....I'm well overdue one!! We went from spring to winter, now its spring again...roll on summer!!

The weather has been a mixed bag thats for sure. In June it was beautiful then July it seemed to rain all day every day... August was totally gorgeous and now September and October are a bit wet to say the least!! I keep asking people "when is it going to stop raining?" and the answers are all the same "oh it can be like this until december now....but thats why its so green here" lol.... At least the rain is filling up our water tanks! But it has been difficult trying to keep an active nearly 2 year old occupied over the last 2 weeks as its school holidays and theres no PlayGroups on.

I've met some nice people, I have to admit that most of my new friends are british ex-pat.... strange but we just seem to get on with each other.

One of the biggest things for me was leaving my beloved horse at home in the UK with my friend. When I got to Beachlands I did briefly enquire as to how much it was to keep a horse here and the lady said it was expensive and gave me a figure. I tried to forget about having another horse and got more and more unhappy and stressed out....rather a bitch to live with! In the end I met a local horsey lady and asked her about keeping horses here and the figure was much lower than what the first lady had said!! So I secured a place at a local grazing livery yard and went onto TradeMe in search of the perfect partner. Hes young, tall, dark, handsome and well bred and hey now hes mine! Yeah! He's made so much difference...I felt like I had a limb missing before but now I feel much more settled here...he has helped so much. I've also helped the horse as he was a failed trotter and was destined for the Petfood Factory down the Motorway.

We still say we will give it the full 2 years here to decide whether we want to stay or not, and before possibly selling UK houses. I moan about the weather here (hey Im a pom I'm meant to whinge!) but it sure is milder than the UK...as soon as the sun manages to make an appearance its lovely.

My partner moans about the travelling he has to do to get to work in Auckland but since we've been here he's been off-roading, skiing, boozing with colleagues....yeah and a bit more boozing...hes also taken up sea fishing and caught 2 fish last week so was well happy!

Its taking time but we are getting there. Nothing lands on your lap so you have to make it happen. I'm thinking of getting a little part time job so that will help again towards being more settled.

Good luck to everyone moving this week and good luck to all of you still waiting for news... Make sure you bring a waterproof coat, some wellies, a brolly and some sun cream!!

Cheers

Sarah B
Hi Sarah

Good to hear your settling in. Wow 4 months already huh? Funny how things like that can sneak up on you sometimes isnt it? No doubt during that time you will have moments where it felt like time was dragging but now as the homesickness is starting to ease a little time will simply fly. I bet having your own horse again has been a tremendous help too.
Sounds like hubby is adjusting just fine but I seriously doubt if his commute will ever get any easier but do think it will soon just merely be a way of life for him. Had to laugh when you said hed done some boozing with his mates & then some more boozing...yup hes adjusting well
As for the weather it wont be long now before it starts to warm up & the sun comes out on a more regular basis but Id get use to the wet if I was you, the North does tend to get a lot of wet rainy days even throughout the summer months. Once you can start hitting the beach though the odd rainy day wont hurt all that much.
When your family decide to come for a visit you will be so busy & excited making plans to show them around. I had my youngest son here for three weeks recently (he only went back to NZ a couple of weeks ago) & today my middle son is currently enroute here from the UK. He left Manchester this moring & has just phoned me to say hes now in Dublin waiting to get his connection to Chicago So only 13 hours until he arrives here & I dont mind admitting its going to be a very long 13 hours for me but its so wonderful knowing that today I get to throw my arms around him & hold him close again
Im so happy that things are working out for you & your family. Fingers crossed that the weather starts to improve for you real soon.

Cheers
Cindy
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:52 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya everyone.

Cheers

Sarah B
Hi Sarah

Well done on saving that horse. I understand how it must make you feel more complete!
All best. I've been here10 mths now.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:48 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Sarah B[/QUOTE]

Hi Sarah
It's good to hear you are settling OK. Does your tall, dark and handsome boy have a name? Dave is trying to blank out the possibility that our daughter (19months) will get into ponies or that I will pick up the reins again.
Hope it just gets better and better for you. Can't wait till we get there!
Lyns
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Hiya everyone.

Cheers

Sarah B

Glad you are still enjoying it -your info on Beachlands really inspired metocontinue with our plans and now it's all paid off and Dave has a job to go to in Tauranga!!!

Hope we will be as happy as you obviously are.

Kathryn
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Been in NZ nearly 4 months

Originally Posted by kathm
Glad you are still enjoying it -your info on Beachlands really inspired metocontinue with our plans and now it's all paid off and Dave has a job to go to in Tauranga!!!

Hope we will be as happy as you obviously are.

Kathryn

Lucky Lucky Lucky - We emigrated 5 years ago and settled by pure chance just out side of Tauranga and couldn't be happier. It is a really beutifull part of the world - good luck and I'm sure you'll be very happy.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

[/QUOTE]

Hi Sarah
It's good to hear you are settling OK. Does your tall, dark and handsome boy have a name? Dave is trying to blank out the possibility that our daughter (19months) will get into ponies or that I will pick up the reins again.
Hope it just gets better and better for you. Can't wait till we get there!
Lyns [/QUOTE]

Hiya.... hes called Zack. Hes a 3 year old Standardbred gelding. He was bred to race (trotter) but didnt make it for some reason. He was in poor condition when I got him but hes out on good grass and hes looking better already....feeling better too as he was on his toes and gave a little buck when I rode him yesterday!

I'm glad I had a little boy as he hopefully won't nag me for a pony!!

Loads of horses here for you if you want to ride or to get your own. Its much easier than keeping a horse in the UK as they live out at grass all year round.... no mucking out!!
Attached Thumbnails Been in NZ nearly 4 months-dcp_1576.jpg   Been in NZ nearly 4 months-dcp_1609.jpg