Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

been here four weeks

been here four weeks

Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

jojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant future
Default been here four weeks

It has been a rollercoaster of a month.
We are in Titirangi in West Auckland. It seems to be raining constantly. The house we are renting is cold and damp. The kids are ill after one week in school ( with tonsillitis). We have had one house sale fall through because the roof was about to cave in and now another offer is looking dicey because the estate agent has been lying to us to get her fee increased and now that other people know that the house is on the market, the vendor is thinking of accepting another offer instead of ours!!

Aargghhhhhhhhhh!:curse:

Please someone, tell me it gets better. I am stuck at home with ailing children who just want to be at school and an absent OH who is usually either en route to Albany or back home from it.

Is it possible to actually buy a decent house here, do all estate agents lie, is it always this cold and wet????

On the plus point Laingholm school really is the best little school in the universe.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:30 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: been here four weeks

Originally Posted by jojobooster View Post
do all estate agents lie,
No.

Sorry to hear it's been a bit of a struggle thus far. Bummer when the kids get sick but on the plus side you've obviously found a great school, that's half the battle won!

I'm nowhere near you but the weather has been pretty up and down here and we are meant to have sub-tropical? Tropical rain forest more like, well tonight anyway!

I'm sure things will get better for you, with the right attitude and the Kiwi can do thing you'll be sweet as before you know it!

Four weeks is nothing and it can be tough in the beginning. Karma for good luck to come your way!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:32 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

What a miserable start to your new life, I'm sorry I don't live anywhere near you but if I did I'd pop round with tea/coffee and big wodges of chockie cake and sympathy!

Not all real estate agents lie. A lot 'bend the truth' and then a lot are genuine and helpful and do their best. Ours even lent us her washing machine, bed and lounge furniture as we moved in weeks before our container was due.

I was warned that October is a wet month - a bit like April showers? But we've had such a mild winter and some fantastic hot sunny days already here in Rangiora and, as Aucklanders keep telling everyone, Auckland has the best hot, sunny, tropical weather in the whole of NZ! So I'm sure it won't be long before you see long hot sunny days.

The houses can come as a bit of a shock but you do get used to it. We found a great house in the first week we arrived and moved in at the end of the second week. It was winter and the house has a log burner which is great but not quite as good as central heating! We couldn't/didn't use the rooms upstairs for ages as they were so cold. Then we had heat pumps put in and its been great since then.

Amazingly the kids never complained about being cold once - the joy of youth!

Hope your kids are soon on the mend and back at school and that all goes well with your house hunting.

Best wishes, Mandie xx
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:39 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to actually buy a decent house here, do all estate agents lie, is it always this cold and wet????
Probably not unless you have plenty of cash to spend , no....but they are commission driven, depends on where you've arrived from and what you are used to.

Hope that helps.

The first few weeks are meant to be the honeymoon phase, by the way...

Last edited by Avid; Oct 17th 2007 at 11:42 am.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Why the rush to buy a place? Take your time - the place you like today might be the place you can't stand tomorrow! Have you travelled around Auckland yet, or have you settled on the first place to take your fancy?

Estate Agents here are under the impression that the Brits who come out are loaded with cash and will pay high prices. You must convince them otherwise. Yes, most of the houses are cold and damp and it rains a lot here. But, by living in Titirangi, you've also chosen one of the dampess places to live in Auckland. But, things have got to get better as you've found many of the negatives early on.

Good luck.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

jojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the replies; feeling abit better today after some sleep.

We did look at many areas in Auckland before we decided on Titirangi. OH had been out here before and preferred here to anywhere. We tried to like the North Shore but just couldn't. Titirangi just feels right ( and it's not raining today either) and more like the NZ we were expecting.

We must have seen about 50 houses, starting with the awful and slowly getting better. The one we have offered on is beautiful, neighbours a reserve and has room for visitors. I guess Iam being cynical about estate agents, it's just I have been told some cock and bull stories over the past few weeks. In fact I have found the British estate agents here to be much more ethical...must just know how we feel!

Hopefully things will look up.
I have found some positives too...school, bowls of coffee, friendly doctors, the peace, the library, car salesmen(!?), thermal spas, ease of getting a mortgage, free parking, the lovely lady we are staying with/renting from, the beaches. So it's not all bad!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies; feeling abit better today after some sleep.

We did look at many areas in Auckland before we decided on Titirangi. OH had been out here before and preferred here to anywhere. We tried to like the North Shore but just couldn't. Titirangi just feels right ( and it's not raining today either) and more like the NZ we were expecting.

We must have seen about 50 houses, starting with the awful and slowly getting better. The one we have offered on is beautiful, neighbours a reserve and has room for visitors. I guess Iam being cynical about estate agents, it's just I have been told some cock and bull stories over the past few weeks. In fact I have found the British estate agents here to be much more ethical...must just know how we feel!

Hopefully things will look up.
I have found some positives too...school, bowls of coffee, friendly doctors, the peace, the library, car salesmen(!?), thermal spas, ease of getting a mortgage, free parking, the lovely lady we are staying with/renting from, the beaches. So it's not all bad!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

, is it always this cold and wet????

:
Not always cold but Auckalnd is known as a location of heavy rainfall - has higher rainfall than London. Did you not look at some of the weather stats before moving there. It is definitely not a dry hot climate.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest renting for a bit longer to get a feel for what you want in a property but having said that a lot of rentals are really poorly maintained (even worse than the houses for sale!!).

If you can find an agent you trust (or something approximating that!) you can ask them to show you properties that someone else is listing and often they hear of properties before they come on the market. I've PM'd you the name of the agent we used in Mission Bay in case that's helpful.

Good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 1:27 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
I'd suggest renting for a bit longer to get a feel for what you want in a property but having said that a lot of rentals are really poorly maintained (even worse than the houses for sale!!).

If you can find an agent you trust (or something approximating that!) you can ask them to show you properties that someone else is listing and often they hear of properties before they come on the market. I've PM'd you the name of the agent we used in Mission Bay in case that's helpful.

Good luck.
If anyone wants a good, honest (as far as I can tell) agent in welly pm me. I will also tell you who to avoid!!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

is it always this cold and wet????
Well, it was last year until the New Year, but might be different this year
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:45 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Sorry to hear you're having such a wet/cold time - it colours everything.

If you haven't got one (or two) already, get a dehumidifier. Unless you end up in a house with central heating you will need at least one anyway. If you run it even in the summer your house will never feel so cold - it's the damp air that makes it worse. We run two and I can't see that it makes much difference at all in the electricity costs - I only need to run a heater in our bedroom for an hour or so at night during the winter because the air is not damp. So, it's swings and roundabouts. The Warehouse sells them.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:16 am
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: been here four weeks

We arrived fours months ago and moved into a rented which was freezing cold all the time, the weather was pretty shocking and we were all fed up. Now in a cosy (if a little too big) rental, keeps warm okay and the weather is about to pick up any day soon!

Its easy to think what am I doing here??:curse:

Stick at it, its worth it and once yhe first few months have gone by you will be fine. Try and find someone on the forum local to you, for a coffee and a moan. Boopy was my angel and things very quickly got much better