British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bedding (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bedding-670922/)

dave77 Jun 3rd 2010 11:36 am

Bedding

Hi, I've heard a rumour that NZ bedding is different in size to UK stuff... is this true?!

If so, what is different...matress size (is it 4'6" double 5' king?) duvet size?

Just trying to work out what its worth taking and what is not :)

Thanks

rason Jun 3rd 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Bedding

oh god I could have used this thread. Im currently in bed in Auckland typing this and I still dont know.

I think doubles are the same as doubles UK however buy a Queen bed as all bedding that I can find in NZ justy about is Queen sized. I looked a right idiot buying bedding over here after half an hour I asked a woman and I honestly think she thought I was a bit mental.

They have the following sizes that i can make out so far

single
king single
double
queen
king
super king

and god knows what else in between.

Margaret Parkinson Jun 3rd 2010 4:56 pm

And don't forget bedding is called Manchester in NZ.

June

JohnThePom Jun 3rd 2010 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson (Post 8609242)
And don't forget bedding is called Manchester in NZ.

June

No wonder people looked at me funny when I said I lived in Manchester. :rofl:

WP

Margaret Parkinson Jun 3rd 2010 7:33 pm

During the later part of the 19th, through the early stages of the 20th centuries; Manchester in the United Kingdom was famed for it's (now derilict) textile industry.
New Zealand, being a relatively new country at the time was completely reliant on imports for all it's textiles & linens.
Manchester Linen became much sought after for bedding, due to it's superior quality over alternative sources. (As today, Egyptian Cotton is considered the superior article.)
So consumers would seek it out by name. Over time, where once they would have asked for 'Manchester Linen' - this became shortened, to simply 'Manchester'. I know this because as you can see I come from Manchester.

Most of the stuff we buy now is probably made in China...but we can't call it China as we already call our cups and plates that!!!

Sorry its not helped you with your question.
June

teebrown Jun 3rd 2010 7:45 pm

You have:
Small single = slightly shorter than a single in UK
single = same a uk
Double = Queen UK
Queen = King size UK
King = Super king UK

Definitely buy a Queen if you want it to fit a UK King (I have learnt the hard way)

Am Loolah Jun 3rd 2010 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by teebrown (Post 8609538)
Definitely buy a Queen if you want it to fit a UK King (I have learnt the hard way)

What are we talking about?!:sneaky::lol:

teebrown Jun 3rd 2010 9:11 pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: LOL yes just read my reply!!!

Dewb09 Jun 3rd 2010 10:34 pm

You have:
Small single = slightly shorter than a single in UK
single = same a uk
Double = Queen UK
Queen = King size UK
King = Super king UK

Oh I am so :blink: confused

so we have a double bed in UK with bedding that fits a double. Will this mean our bedding will be too small , lordy we already have a tug of war with the duvet in winter :sneaky:

Dewb

Dewb09 Jun 3rd 2010 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson (Post 8609516)
During the later part of the 19th, through the early stages of the 20th centuries; Manchester in the United Kingdom was famed for it's (now derilict) textile industry.
New Zealand, being a relatively new country at the time was completely reliant on imports for all it's textiles & linens.
Manchester Linen became much sought after for bedding, due to it's superior quality over alternative sources. (As today, Egyptian Cotton is considered the superior article.)
So consumers would seek it out by name. Over time, where once they would have asked for 'Manchester Linen' - this became shortened, to simply 'Manchester'. I know this because as you can see I come from Manchester.

Most of the stuff we buy now is probably made in China...but we can't call it China as we already call our cups and plates that!!!

Sorry its not helped you with your question.
June

:thumbsup: Nice one June was puzzled over that

Dewb

Robbie2010 Jun 4th 2010 3:54 am

Double = Queen UK

Uk double is the same as NZ double.... 4ft 6in wide

Dewb09 Jun 4th 2010 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 8610482)
Uk double is the same as NZ double.... 4ft 6in wide

Phew thats probably just saved my marriage :rolleyes: :lol:

Dewb

dave77 Jun 5th 2010 9:05 am

Thanks for the info :)

rason Jun 8th 2010 11:39 am

I have found Double bedding impossible to find pretty much.

You seem to have to buy Queen

dave77 Jun 8th 2010 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by rason (Post 8619295)
I have found Double bedding impossible to find pretty much.

You seem to have to buy Queen

Does that mean that double mattresses are rare?