Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Originally Posted by Littletoe
There's always one!
What do you mean there is always one???? Its so funny...... I have been posting on this forum for many years..... I could not remember my login details for my last user name, and could not do a password reminder as my last email address was my kiwi one and I obviously cannot access that anymore, now that I am back in the BIG BAD UK!!! lol!!! I remember all the old names on this board, just look back to 2004/5/6... people that have been posting on here LONG before you have and it ALWAYS comes down to the same thing on here by a few, time after time...........you just dont ever want to hear both sides of the story. People have to take both sides in order to fully appreciate what they are coming to. I suggest you take a chill pill, if you are sooooo happy in NZ then why would it bother you what someone else thinks or says?????? Did you or did you not come on this board only a few months ago asking for advice???? You have been in NZ for five mins and you are now the expert obviously.

If you are sitting in your ivory tower thinking NZ has ALL the answers and is everything anyone could want then good. I am pleased for you. BUT back in real life, do people who expect to come to NZ and never sit in traffic or never have problems parking their car really not deserve to know the truth????? I Think they do. Have you ever lived in Edinburgh?????? do you know the city other than for holidays? I strongly think that anyone who thinks coming to NZ and finding the cities empty of cars and traffic needs to know this is not the case. Oh and dont get me started on the weather.......

I, like you, are married to a kiwi, he is also a very realistic person in terms of knowing, like I know about Scotland, that NZ is NOT HEAVEN!!!!

Seriously now.......... is that really the right kind of reply to a thread quote ' there's always one' unquote This is a forum about life in NZ, people moving to NZ. At no point did I see in this forum that people were moving to LaLa land but if you have found that place, please , give me the directions.

For anyone else reading this, read my first post, I gave an honest and well rounded idea of what it is or can be like moving from the UK to NZ. You dont have ANY control over the future and if having to move back to the UK one day for ANY REASON then you mind try and remember that its not all that bad, there is some good, and also spare a thought to those you are leaving behind........ Not everyone wants to hear how crap you think the UK is and how GREAT NZ is. Some people are happy with what they have and wont think to kindly to you putting where they live down. You never know when you might need them...... I know how much I need my friends now I have had to come back to Scotland and regret the bad things I said about it before and after leaving.

Honestly...... some people need to open their eyes.....
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:12 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
What do you mean there is always one???? Its so funny...... I have been posting on this forum for many years..... I could not remember my login details for my last user name, and could not do a password reminder as my last email address was my kiwi one and I obviously cannot access that anymore, now that I am back in the BIG BAD UK!!! lol!!! I remember all the old names on this board, just look back to 2004/5/6... people that have been posting on here LONG before you have and it ALWAYS comes down to the same thing on here by a few, time after time...........you just dont ever want to hear both sides of the story. People have to take both sides in order to fully appreciate what they are coming to. I suggest you take a chill pill, if you are sooooo happy in NZ then why would it bother you what someone else thinks or says?????? Did you or did you not come on this board only a few months ago asking for advice???? You have been in NZ for five mins and you are now the expert obviously.

If you are sitting in your ivory tower thinking NZ has ALL the answers and is everything anyone could want then good. I am pleased for you. BUT back in real life, do people who expect to come to NZ and never sit in traffic or never have problems parking their car really not deserve to know the truth????? I Think they do. Have you ever lived in Edinburgh?????? do you know the city other than for holidays? I strongly think that anyone who thinks coming to NZ and finding the cities empty of cars and traffic needs to know this is not the case. Oh and dont get me started on the weather.......

I, like you, are married to a kiwi, he is also a very realistic person in terms of knowing, like I know about Scotland, that NZ is NOT HEAVEN!!!!

Seriously now.......... is that really the right kind of reply to a thread quote ' there's always one' unquote This is a forum about life in NZ, people moving to NZ. At no point did I see in this forum that people were moving to LaLa land but if you have found that place, please , give me the directions.

For anyone else reading this, read my first post, I gave an honest and well rounded idea of what it is or can be like moving from the UK to NZ. You dont have ANY control over the future and if having to move back to the UK one day for ANY REASON then you mind try and remember that its not all that bad, there is some good, and also spare a thought to those you are leaving behind........ Not everyone wants to hear how crap you think the UK is and how GREAT NZ is. Some people are happy with what they have and wont think to kindly to you putting where they live down. You never know when you might need them...... I know how much I need my friends now I have had to come back to Scotland and regret the bad things I said about it before and after leaving.

1, I've actually lived in NZ previously, not that I need to justify it.

2, I made this thread to give people that were positive and looking forward to their move something to feel good about.

3, This is a MOVING to NZ forum, not the RETURNING TO UK forum. I don't hate the UK, I don't like living there, but again, don't really need to justify. Why should I feel guilty about enjoying my new life in NZ.

You need to chill out lady, how long you've been a member really means nothing at all to me. Go and mouth off on the negative NZ thread, or start your own. For now, get out of my chat!

Nikki
PS, I'm sorry things didn't work out for you in NZ, but for the other people reading this thread, I hope it works out for everyone else!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:29 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

And read the forum descriptions, maybe? Here you go. Glad to be of service.

So sorry NZ didn't work out for you, and that you're really bitter about it and see it as your life's mission to convert everyone to your point of view.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:55 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

So sorry NZ didn't work out for you, and that you're really bitter about it and see it as your life's mission to convert everyone to your point of view.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Back to the original point, I'm really pleased for you Nikki, its a stressful, hectic time moving all this way (and with two little girls!) so its lovely to hear that you are having time enjoying your new home, eating the scrummy food, enjoying the weather, beach, and of course the wine!
My youngest is the same age as your oldest so if you ever want to come to 'my' beach lets meet up!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Hi there,
Sorry Lexylou if I gave you the impression of being down on the UK, 'cause I really am not. I am proud of being English (which is not any easy thing to say in most places) and love living in Scotland to bits - especially Edinburgh. Edinburgh does have loads and loads going for it, so much so, since coming here, we've almost changed our minds sometimes of going to NZ at all.
My answer was just trying to enter into the spirit of LittleToes original thread.

Our true reason for leaving the UK is to actually try and escape the rat race that we are up to our necks in here and are finding it hard to leave. We have the capital from our house, and with this, think that we can move to NZ, buy a reasonable house (about $400K) and live mortgage free. As a result my OH will hopefully not need to work so hard to maintain our current standard of living, and we can then all have more time to enjoy life as a family, and being in NZ, be outdoors in the sunshine to do it (well taking into account that NZ does have rain too). Well, that's the plan anyway....

Now, just to move things along a bit, I think that you mentioned that you were from Edinburgh - have you now moved back here, or somewhere else in Scotland?

Best of luck to us all hey, wherever we may be in our journey of life
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Again........can everyone just calm down...............it is only a shallow web site!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Am not in the slightest bit bitter. What do I have to be bitter about. Can you actually read????? I never said I left new zealand because I WANTED to but because we HAD to return back to the UK for a while. I also said NZ was a great place etc etc etc...... I did not say people should convert to my way of thinking...... what is my point of view?? That there is traffic in both Edinburgh and New Zealand???? Big deal. There is. Fact. Not a point of view.

So funny. I had forgotten this was the forum for 'only very very positive views on NZ please forum' As I said, people deserve to know the truth, that there IS traffic, that the sun does not ALWAYS shine. If they come thinking that then they will of course be disapointed. So funny that by my saying that, it is some how being bitter. Sorry but its just a fact. Just like their is increased knife crime in London just now. Its not an opinion is a fact and I dont expect people in London will take great offence at my saying it. The weather in Scotland is often not great. Oh dear, should I take offence at that????

Come on people. A balanced view is not always a bad thing. Its called research.

Will leave you to it then. Enjoy LaLa land. I look forward to returning to NZ in a few months to see the family, NZ that is, where it does rain and I will see other cars on the road.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Again........can everyone just calm down...............it is only a shallow web site!
yes you are completely right. It is just a website. Its just a shame that only one opinion is allowed to be aired on this particular country site. Its so refreshing looking at the other countries sites where people are happy to give and hear a balanced view. Maybe it says something about the people coming to NZ. I dont know but it is a shame that opinions that differ from their own are not allowed.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Calm down..............

Calming karma coming everyone's way...........
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Nice Guy.

Personally I like to hear the good and bad. But you cant take it away from those who are just loving life and wanting to shout about it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and littletoes was just letting all know how happy she was with her new found life.

Nici
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:38 am
Sweeeeet!

Am not in the slightest bit bitter. What do I have to be bitter about. Can you actually read????? I never said I left new zealand because I WANTED to but because we HAD to return back to the UK for a while. I also said NZ was a great place etc etc etc...... I did not say people should convert to my way of thinking...... what is my point of view?? That there is traffic in both Edinburgh and New Zealand???? Big deal. There is. Fact. Not a point of view.

So funny. I had forgotten this was the forum for 'only very very positive views on NZ please forum' As I said, people deserve to know the truth, that there IS traffic, that the sun does not ALWAYS shine. If they come thinking that then they will of course be disapointed. So funny that by my saying that, it is some how being bitter. Sorry but its just a fact. Just like their is increased knife crime in London just now. Its not an opinion is a fact and I dont expect people in London will take great offence at my saying it. The weather in Scotland is often not great. Oh dear, should I take offence at that????

Come on people. A balanced view is not always a bad thing. Its called research.

Will leave you to it then. Enjoy LaLa land. I look forward to returning to NZ in a few months to see the family, NZ that is, where it does rain and I will see other cars on the road.
Thank goodness for people like this that come along and educate us idiots with our rose tinted glasses. Phew!! I feel like such an idiot, I had honestly NO idea that NZ had its faults. I'm glad to have been enlightened. Take heed people, NZ is not a heaven, there are problems here. There is crime (gasp) and get this, the worst possible thing to imagine, TRAFFIC. Yes, its hard to imagine, but NZ does have traffic. It pains me to tell you all. To break your bubble of NZ being crime free, and traffic free. Its not just all sheep and hills y'know. Its a metropolis of pollution and some kids take P. (Gasps again in horror). Consider yourselves educated.

On to happier things, I now have a car (figured I'd join the congestion), and I drove home today singing along at the top of my lungs to 'Free falling' in the sun (on one of the rare sunny days here) was stationary in Auckland, but who gives a god damn bugger.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Good for you Littletoes,

Keep that wine in the chiller. We will soon be on our way to enjoy the good life.

Nici
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kato33
Well said Nice Guy.

Personally I like to hear the good and bad. But you cant take it away from those who are just loving life and wanting to shout about it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and littletoes was just letting all know how happy she was with her new found life.

Nici
Am happy for littletoes...... if she is very happy then that is GREAT. However my post was not for her. It might have been on her thread but it was actually for Leighlou. Regarding the traffic and weather in Edinburgh/NZ.

Again, I will say it for the hearing impaired as I believe they are lurking and posting, I THINK NEW ZEALAND IS GREAT> I DID NOT LEAVE BECAUSE I HATED IT, I LEFT FOR NOW DUE TO PERSONAL REASONS IN THE UK. I WAS JUST POINTING OUT THAT THE WEATHER/TRAFFIC ETC IS NOT PERFECT.

Will leave you ALL to it. Am off to much friendlier country boards where fact and yes, shock horror, opinion is OK.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Come on lexylou, don't be like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.