Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:22 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

To all you Brits still the UK...

The weather has been gorgeous today and I took my girls down to the beach today. We've checked out some rental agencies, seen some gorgeous houses to rent (your money goes so much further here). I'm driving around in my rental car (a Ford Falcon, really nice!) listening to AC/DC on the 'The Rock' - a fab radio station here in Auckland, but there are plenty to choose from to suit all tastes.

The food tastes so good and fresh, and the you melt into the wines here.

Yes, the drivers are bad, but who cares? After a few months, we'll all be driving the same way!! OK, and it is a little bit backwards, but again, who cares?! Who wants to live around people that are so tightly wired they walk around up their own backsides?! Get in the groove!

So, come on guys, get over here! Breathe in the fresh air, wear flip flops all day everyday! And as you're coming into winter, why not learn to ski/snowboard?!

First round on me!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

Originally Posted by Littletoe

The weather has been gorgeous today and I took my girls down to the beach today. We've checked out some rental agencies, seen some gorgeous houses to rent (your money goes so much further here). I'm driving around in my rental car (a Ford Falcon, really nice!) listening to AC/DC on the 'The Rock' - a fab radio station here in Auckland, but there are plenty to choose from to suit all tastes.

Yes, the drivers are bad, but who cares? After a few months, we'll all be driving the same way!! OK, and it is a little bit backwards, but again, who cares?! Who wants to live around people that are so tightly wired they walk around up their own backsides?! Get in the groove!

So, come on guys, get over here! Breathe in the fresh air, wear flip flops all day everyday! And as you're coming into winter, why not learn to ski/snowboard?!

First round on me!
Ha Ha good post

Beers on you

dawn
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

First round on me!
Great stuff glad you are enjoying it.
Debbie
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

NZ really is a land of diversity, isn't it? Enjoy your time and make sure you get down to visit the bottom of the south island- it's surprisingly beautiful- just make sure you take your winter woolies!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:29 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

First round on me!

Is that something along the lines of "weather is here, wish you were beautiful"?!
Sounds good Nicci, it's great to be this side of the stress, worry and heartache. Enjoy the sun, buy a hammock and chill
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:31 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Happy karma sent xx
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:19 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

"So happy to hear that" karma sent, Nikki.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beautiful, gorgeous, wish you were here

First round on me!
Hi,

I just read your post. How lucky are you? We are still stuck in blighty and are going to try and find work out there. Hopefully we can be out in the sunshine by Xmas. Fingers crossed.
You mentioned the children. How did they find the whole process of being away from friends and family if you don't mind me asking. We have 4 to bring, thats if the 17 yo will come. We had originally banked on Oz but over this last fortnight decided that NZ is the way to go. Don't know why really. Never been, but reading posts on here makes you think about what you are missing out on.

Where abouts are you? I think we will be heading to North Island as OH is a truckie and I gather the work is there for him. Anyone got any nice places they can recommend? Preferably near a motocross park if poss as it will keep the OH and the twins happy.

Glad to hear how happy you are and hopefully we will be putting the same post up ourselves in the not to distant future.

Nici
Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Thanks Little Toes for your kind thoughts for us miserable buggers still left behind in the UK!

Up here in Edinburgh, it's a nice warm, sunny 4c, although when the ice winds blow it does get a little chilly. However, can't put the heating up too much as not only does it all cost too much but the global warming police will be catching us out! Off to walk to the shops as can't drive anywhere fast here in traffic gridlocked Edinburgh and anyway when I get there there would be nowhere to park, and when I get back there would be nowhere to park.

GOD I WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!:curse:
Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Leighlou,
Edinburgh is not that bad you know......being able to walk to your shops is not a bad thing and if you think traffic is bad in Edinburgh best you dont move to Auckland.......We moved from Edinburgh, New Town, to Christchurch. I had only ever been to the North Island before moving to NZ (hubby is a kiwi - got married in the Wairarapa)

What a shock Christchurch (not the traffic but the non stop rain for weeks on end) was in the middle of July 2004. Edinburgh for all its problems seemed like a magical lifetime away.....

NZ is great. Really great, its a place full of great places to go and I would imagine for most a lovely place to live but it is NOT the promised land. Its not that cheap anymore, the weather is NOT always good in summer(can I remind anyone of what the weather was like around New Year his year and nearly the entire summer of 2005) If you live in Auckland the traffic is bad in parts, just like other cities, including Edinburgh. Parking.... hmmmm. Unless I missed something parking in central Wellington/AUckland and even Christchurch at times is not THAT easy.

One thing for me and lots of Brits I know that have made the move to NZ is that its good to be really positive about the move over. Godness it is at times the only thing that keeps you going, but its dangerous to start hating where you come from/currently live, which is only going to raise the expectation of what you want NZ to be for you. The UK is not that a bad place, there are really stunning parts, particularly in Scotland I think, and no where is perfect, and to think it is wont help you find the dream.

We had to move back to the UK recently, for personal reasons. We might move back again to NZ, who knows, we might even end up somewhere else, but I do know, from experience, that the grass is NOT always greener. It is just grass. As I said NZ is great, but then so is Scotland. I am always hearing about crime in the UK, and I believe that it is shocking in parts, but then it can be shocking in parts of NZ too. Anyone seen Once were Warriors? Drugs, bad in Scotland as they are in the whole of the UK but I would say really bad in parts of NZ. Gangs, bogans..... all in NZ too. Just a much much smaller population so the problem is not felt as much.

Be happy, enjoy life and its experiences and while NZ might be better for so many things, equally its not that great for others. My father in law, in NZ, is having to pay for his cancer treatment. The same treatment is free in Scotland. So its all about balance, what you get with one hand it will be taken away in the other and visa versa.....

Just my two cents....I was the same before moving out. Could not WAIT to get out of the UK. Was quick to put it down, which only raised my expectation of what NZ would be like. I regret that now.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:25 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lexylou
Leighlou,
Edinburgh is not that bad you know......being able to walk to your shops is not a bad thing and if you think traffic is bad in Edinburgh best you dont move to Auckland.......We moved from Edinburgh, New Town, to Christchurch. I had only ever been to the North Island before moving to NZ (hubby is a kiwi - got married in the Wairarapa)

What a shock Christchurch (not the traffic but the non stop rain for weeks on end) was in the middle of July 2004. Edinburgh for all its problems seemed like a magical lifetime away.....

NZ is great. Really great, its a place full of great places to go and I would imagine for most a lovely place to live but it is NOT the promised land. Its not that cheap anymore, the weather is NOT always good in summer(can I remind anyone of what the weather was like around New Year his year and nearly the entire summer of 2005) If you live in Auckland the traffic is bad in parts, just like other cities, including Edinburgh. Parking.... hmmmm. Unless I missed something parking in central Wellington/AUckland and even Christchurch at times is not THAT easy.

One thing for me and lots of Brits I know that have made the move to NZ is that its good to be really positive about the move over. Godness it is at times the only thing that keeps you going, but its dangerous to start hating where you come from/currently live, which is only going to raise the expectation of what you want NZ to be for you. The UK is not that a bad place, there are really stunning parts, particularly in Scotland I think, and no where is perfect, and to think it is wont help you find the dream.

We had to move back to the UK recently, for personal reasons. We might move back again to NZ, who knows, we might even end up somewhere else, but I do know, from experience, that the grass is NOT always greener. It is just grass. As I said NZ is great, but then so is Scotland. I am always hearing about crime in the UK, and I believe that it is shocking in parts, but then it can be shocking in parts of NZ too. Anyone seen Once were Warriors? Drugs, bad in Scotland as they are in the whole of the UK but I would say really bad in parts of NZ. Gangs, bogans..... all in NZ too. Just a much much smaller population so the problem is not felt as much.

Be happy, enjoy life and its experiences and while NZ might be better for so many things, equally its not that great for others. My father in law, in NZ, is having to pay for his cancer treatment. The same treatment is free in Scotland. So its all about balance, what you get with one hand it will be taken away in the other and visa versa.....

Just my two cents....I was the same before moving out. Could not WAIT to get out of the UK. Was quick to put it down, which only raised my expectation of what NZ would be like. I regret that now.

Quite agree with what you say. Scotland is beautiful. I have had most of my holidays there over 20 years. I found once in NZ i defended the UK more than i expected. The UK is not really that bad, but then again it should be better. NZ is indeed beautiful too but is not perfect either, no place is. We had to return to the UK due to circumstance and hope to return. Kids miss it badly as they had more freedom there. Does you good living and working in another country, broadens your mind no end.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:48 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Hi,

I just read your post. How lucky are you? We are still stuck in blighty and are going to try and find work out there. Hopefully we can be out in the sunshine by Xmas. Fingers crossed.
You mentioned the children. How did they find the whole process of being away from friends and family if you don't mind me asking. We have 4 to bring, thats if the 17 yo will come. We had originally banked on Oz but over this last fortnight decided that NZ is the way to go. Don't know why really. Never been, but reading posts on here makes you think about what you are missing out on.

Where abouts are you? I think we will be heading to North Island as OH is a truckie and I gather the work is there for him. Anyone got any nice places they can recommend? Preferably near a motocross park if poss as it will keep the OH and the twins happy.

Glad to hear how happy you are and hopefully we will be putting the same post up ourselves in the not to distant future.

Nici
From one Nikki to another Nici..

Hello!

My daughters are only 2.5 and 5 months, so less of a change for them. My oldest has moved internationally a few times, so I think she's used to new countries, languages, etc. I was concerned about this move because its so far away from rellies and she really enjoyed her preschool, but she LOVES the beach and the sense of freedom here with all the space. I've met a few expats here with kids around 8-15, and they have taken really well to NZ. Its so sporty here, and full of opportunities that simply don't present in the UK. When they visit the UK, they can't wait to get back to NZ. I realise NZ isn't for everyone as people are QUICK to point out, but I like to think that the vast majority of people that migrate to NZ do actually do research, way up what they want and figure NZ can provide it for them. Anywhere can be a home, depending on your outlook. I just think NZ makes for a better home!

I'm in the Auckland region, but I choose to live in the sticks or wop-wops as its called here. I live in the Rodney district, my accomodation here is only for 6 weeks, but I've seen lots of other beautiful rental properties here, so I'm not worried that I won't find something as good. I wake up to the smell of fresh forest smells every morning, and I look over at rolling hills. I wouldn't swap my place for one in grimy old Blighty any day!

Stay in touch with us though Nicci and anyone else that's looking to come over, it'd be great to meet over here. There's always beer in the chiller and usually wine in the rack (if I haven't glugged it down!).

Nikki

PS, truck drivers here are the best on the road! Top blokes! I've met many when I backpacked around NZ a few years ago, had many a good drinking session with them!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:49 pm
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Lexylou
Leighlou,

There's always one!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:50 pm
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Jacque
NZ really is a land of diversity, isn't it? Enjoy your time and make sure you get down to visit the bottom of the south island- it's surprisingly beautiful- just make sure you take your winter woolies!

Oh yes, I've been!! I would love to live in the SI, but there's not much work there. I used to work at Mt Hutt Ski field. Best few months of my life! Gorgeous down there, and awesome people!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:54 pm
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Thanks Little Toes for your kind thoughts for us miserable buggers still left behind in the UK!

Up here in Edinburgh, it's a nice warm, sunny 4c, although when the ice winds blow it does get a little chilly. However, can't put the heating up too much as not only does it all cost too much but the global warming police will be catching us out! Off to walk to the shops as can't drive anywhere fast here in traffic gridlocked Edinburgh and anyway when I get there there would be nowhere to park, and when I get back there would be nowhere to park.

GOD I WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!:curse:
Hello!

Edinburgh is such a beautiful part of Scotland, really clean and the people are really friendly. I've had some good times there, fantastic evening atmosphere. But yep, if there's something Scotland isn't renowned for, its the good weather! NZ isn't too different from the UK weather wise, but who care's? Your a stone's throw from the pacific islands and Aussie if you want to grab some solar power.

Stay in touch! Good luck with your move!

Nikki x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.