Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Beachlands, auckland

Beachlands, auckland

Old Feb 6th 2015, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice
Default Beachlands, auckland

We're thinking of moving a little further out to beachlands. We work in south auckland so the distance out doesn't bother us. Does anyone have advice on the suberb? eg schools okay? community spirit etc.

thanks
d
Old Feb 6th 2015, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beachlands, auckland

Originally Posted by desmondo84
We're thinking of moving a little further out to beachlands. We work in south auckland so the distance out doesn't bother us. Does anyone have advice on the suberb? eg schools okay? community spirit etc.

thanks
d
Difficulty to watch for is when or if you change jobs

Commuting to North Shore would be nightmare from there.

Ok you not looking to work in North Shore but what if that's the only place you can find work?

Just trying to be objective for you
Old Feb 6th 2015, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Cheers man. No jobs for me in North Shore. but yes I take your point for sure.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Only been there once, thought it looked absolutely lovely. Has a ferry to the CBD too doesn't it which is a bonus if you ever ended up working there. Even if you don't work in the CBD, I think owning a house very close to a ferry link to the city can only be a good thing with future traffic growth etc.

Seemed a really nice place (based on only one day there though!). Not sure where the nearest high school is?
Old Feb 6th 2015, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Difficulty to watch for is when or if you change jobs

Commuting to Wellington would be nightmare from there.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nice place to live, a few local shops. A supermarket is planned for the future, which not everybody there wanted, but as Beachlands, Spinnaker Bay, Pine Harbour is expanding, it will probably be well used.

No secondary school there. Not sure if that will change in the future. The catchment school is Howick College. Buses run from Beachlands to the college for school kids, but they are packed on, often standing and the road is quite a haul and a fast road. I don't know about the littlies at school, but have a friend who has kids there and the seem happy. The trip to Howick/Botany takes around 30 mins. It's a nice drive in summer, not sure in the pouring rain and winter, just takes a little longer then. I'm not sure about what it would be like driving day in/day out, but as it's a nice place to live and you drive through the countryside, it's a pleasant drive.

Ferry from Pine Harbour and a few eateries around Pine Harbour, which is expanding with apartments.

Sunkist Bay beach is pretty and nice for a dip (playground there) and fishing off Schnapper Rock is fun.

We're in Cockle Bay I like Beachlands very much though.

Not far from Maraetai beach, which is lovely and Omana Regional Park very nice. Parks on the beach areas.

A nice walk too around the back of Spinnaker Bay on the pathways over there.

A boat ramp at Sunkist Bay, not sure if it gets very busy. There's also Maraetai Boating Club which has a ramp and I think that's pretty easy going to get onto the water, if you enjoy boating.

The area is expanding though, so you may want to check out what's being built where
Old Feb 7th 2015, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about amenities for teenagers ... and when they learn to drive, they'll be wanting to drive backwards and forwards to Botany on the long road. Just a thing to think about too. Also, if you do have kids and they are reliant on Taxi of Mum and Dad, weekend driving backwards and forwards may be needed if they want to go to say, the cinema or bowling. There is a bus service but I don't think it runs too far into the evening and I think weekends it's a bit sparse. Check out with Howick and Eastern buses