Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Beached Whale: New Brighton ChCh

Beached Whale: New Brighton ChCh

Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:54 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beached Whale: New Brighton ChCh

Just saw this on the website of The Press:

Christmas Day celebrations on New Brighton Beach were dampened when an unidentified species of whale was seen floundering in the surf. Children were crying, and consternation was rife amongst onlookers as it seemed that the mammal was trying to swim back out to sea only to be caught by swells and thrown back onto the shore.

NIWA officials said that this event is a common occurrance at this time of year, and that people should not intervene with the mammals in distress, but to let them find their own way back out to sea.

Several pictures were taken of the - yet to be identified - whale throughout it's struggles:

The first is as it was dashed onto the beach.
The second as it struggled in the surf
The third as it desperately tried to get back to deeper water - just look at the incredible size of this amazing animal.

Some may find these to be distressing:
Attached Thumbnails Beached Whale: New Brighton ChCh-whale-beach-003.jpg   Beached Whale: New Brighton ChCh-whale-beach-001.jpg   Beached Whale: New Brighton ChCh-whale-beach-002.jpg  

Last edited by Wiz'n'Ton; Dec 27th 2007 at 9:18 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beached Whale: New Brighton ChCh

I nearly had a heart attack then! I thought you were trying to tell me my MIL had landed in New Zealand
Don't ever do that to me again!

Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:50 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Not pretty!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:14 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

My eyes! My eyes!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:07 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

I was just about to go off on a rant
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:25 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you had spotted me there..
Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

That is one ugly animal.
Onlookers must have been distressed !
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:15 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Go to tell you, this is so typical of me, was reading it thinking OMG, the poor thing, how sad for it, was picturing all the people on the beach, then in your pics, i was looking thinking well i can;t see the whale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the most gullible person ever I'm sure, I hang my head in embarrasment

Lovely little suit, suits you sir.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:25 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Go to tell you, this is so typical of me, was reading it thinking OMG, the poor thing, how sad for it, was picturing all the people on the beach, then in your pics, i was looking thinking well i can;t see the whale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you know the word "gullible" has been taken out of the dictionary?

Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:27 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Has it !!!!!!!!!!!!

no I'm joking, nice try though, my brain paused for a second,
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:06 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE: The ongoing phenomena has now apparently been seen in Kaikoura, to the deep concern of the tourist industry there. The fear is that other whales and cetaceans will catch one glimpse and be so ashamed that they will never return.
Attached Thumbnails Beached Whale: New Brighton ChCh-christmas-045.jpg  
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:51 pm
Maz

Has it !!!!!!!!!!!!

no I'm joking, nice try though, my brain paused for a second,
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Marika........we are sooooo alike.

I also thought the same, squinting my eyes at the first pic to catch a glimpse.

I shall also hang my head in shame and fade into the background.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:44 pm

hee hee hee

Pleased it caught a couple of people out

I am now on a New Years diet to prepare for a Triathlon, so this may be the last opportunity to see such a large volume of blubber on ChCh's beaches.

Note the 'may be' in there