Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BBC News...Global migrants: Which are the most wanted professions?

BBC News...Global migrants: Which are the most wanted professions?

Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC News...Global migrants: Which are the most wanted professions?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21938085

Seems New Zealand wants / needs all of the top 20 professions according to this.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC News...Global migrants: Which are the most wanted professions?

You can never have enough healthcare .

What strikes me as very odd is that we have many graduates who can't get jobs in their professions and yet the skill shortage list suggests we need more people in those professions. It's pretty misleading and silly, they really should come up with a better way of measuring shortages. Wages for example, a profession truly in short supply will command a high wage and if it's not in the top 50 it shouldn't be on the list.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

stevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
You can never have enough healthcare .

What strikes me as very odd is that we have many graduates who can't get jobs in their professions and yet the skill shortage list suggests we need more people in those professions. It's pretty misleading and silly, they really should come up with a better way of measuring shortages. Wages for example, a profession truly in short supply will command a high wage and if it's not in the top 50 it shouldn't be on the list.

Maybe experience doesnt come with a bachelors?
Old Mar 30th 2013, 1:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BBC News...Global migrants: Which are the most wanted professions?

How do graduates get experience?
Old Mar 30th 2013, 9:29 am
Just Joined

stevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nicestevedun4 is just really nice

Graduates get experience once all the major positions are filled and an assistant is required to help, bear in mind the company needs to have a strong order book over the next 12 months plus to justify. Ive been through this myself and its frustrating but true. So in my view a graduate needs to lower their sights and sit tight. This is in a construction/civil engineering background but assume its like this in accountancy as well? or any other career..
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevedun4 View Post
So in my view a graduate needs to lower their sights and sit tight.
I think this is very good advice for all levels of education in most jobs.

Whilst educational qualifications are good, experience is king.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 9:36 pm
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Im job hunting in Wellington, so I'm never quite sure what to make of these articles. There was another one recently in the herald and another on stuff.co.nz and they all agree about the ongoing skills shortage.

So far though I'm not getting the impression that it's real in my sector (IT), with only one interview after 5 weeks! Still, hoping that something will turn up soon.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:09 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by stevedun4 View Post
Graduates get experience once all the major positions are filled and an assistant is required to help, bear in mind the company needs to have a strong order book over the next 12 months plus to justify.
Yes, provided you have constant growth. Which is what markets are famous for for aren't they? Providing that constant, linear growth that keeps people employed and companies hiring. To my knowledge unfortunately New Zealand keeps no official statistics on graduate employment rates.

A lot of it doesn't bother me that much personally, I have a job and likely won't need the services of many of the sectors being so poorly managed in the near future (health for example). What I'm saying is that a little more strategic thinking now about how we allocate employment could save us a lot of money in the future through lower social welfare payments, higher taxes collected from professionals who are spending more of their life working as professionals and savings made in the future by averting shortages of staff in key areas.