Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BBC Investigates - Is NZ 100% Pure?

BBC Investigates - Is NZ 100% Pure?

Old May 11th 2011, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC Investigates - Is NZ 100% Pure?

*Lights blue touch paper and stands back!!* Oh dear, seems a whole can of dirty worms is likely to be exposed over the 100% Pure NZ Clean and Green image.

Part of the BBC's 'Hardtalk' interview with John Key on the subject, I feel he does speak with a forked tongue and doesn't fully understand the concept of 100% Pure

From the BEEB:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...lk/9480610.stm

From the Herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10724868

Mike Joy's original article on the 'myth' and delusion that NZ has created about being clean and green.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=10721337
Old May 11th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Investigates - Is NZ 100% Pure?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
*Lights blue touch paper and stands back!!* Oh dear, seems a whole can of dirty worms is likely to be exposed over the 100% Pure NZ Clean and Green image.

Part of the BBC's 'Hardtalk' interview with John Key on the subject, I feel he does speak with a forked tongue and doesn't fully understand the concept of 100% Pure

From the BEEB:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...lk/9480610.stm

From the Herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10724868

Mike Joy's original article on the 'myth' and delusion that NZ has created about being clean and green.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=10721337
I think most of us know this myth is a load of bollocks. The only factor that makes NZ apparently green is the incredible low population factor. It has a tiny population in regard to its land mass. Alas our rivers and lakes are terribly polluted and we have more coal than we can eat so that will be all dug up sold & exported or burned here. Many kiwi knobbers see it fit to drive huge 4 and 5 litre penis extenders and those that don't push their cars to such limits speed wise they too are gas guzzlers. This is not a hit on Nz this is just how I see things and having been here 6 years I have seen a lot.

NZ is not what it portrays to be. It is simply empty. And why may you ask? Because they are all in Oz. Australia is so much of a better country to live in than Nz for sooooooooo many reasons. However it is not every ones cuppa. Personally if my kids were off my hands AND Kate was up for it I am at a point in my life were I would be getting my citizenship of NZ and buggering off to the real land of milk and honey!! I think I could cope with the heat and the size of the place. NZ is really looking a tad tattered and torn these days and all the Moari V Pakeha shite is getting up my nose. BUT and its a really big but Kate has a job to die for here and my kids have an awesome way of life. I am just a dull kitchen bitch...what do I know? I was born to serve.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

The full John Key interview is on YouTube in two parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfUozKMgA-Y

Can't believe really that Stephen Sackur didn't rip into him more, he could have had a field day. We so rarely get to see the Kiwi politicians being asked hard questions, far less them actually being given a grilling by real hard-hitting journalists.

Questions were asked in Parliament though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRXn0sMKlZQ

Thank heavens for YouTube!!!
Old May 11th 2011, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I think most of us know this myth is a load of bollocks. The only factor that makes NZ apparently green is the incredible low population factor. It has a tiny population in regard to its land mass. Alas our rivers and lakes are terribly polluted and we have more coal than we can eat so that will be all dug up sold & exported or burned here. Many kiwi knobbers see it fit to drive huge 4 and 5 litre penis extenders and those that don't push their cars to such limits speed wise they too are gas guzzlers. This is not a hit on Nz this is just how I see things and having been here 6 years I have seen a lot.

NZ is not what it portrays to be. It is simply empty. And why may you ask? Because they are all in Oz. Australia is so much of a better country to live in than Nz for sooooooooo many reasons. However it is not every ones cuppa. Personally if my kids were off my hands AND Kate was up for it I am at a point in my life were I would be getting my citizenship of NZ and buggering off to the real land of milk and honey!! I think I could cope with the heat and the size of the place. NZ is really looking a tad tattered and torn these days and all the Moari V Pakeha shite is getting up my nose. BUT and its a really big but Kate has a job to die for here and my kids have an awesome way of life. I am just a dull kitchen bitch...what do I know? I was born to serve.
I hope you go to Oz soon then you can whinge all the time on their forum about the V8 drivers, the Abos, the digging up of the iron ore, whatever....
Oz isn't a better place to live in lots of people's opinions, that's why we're here and not there.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I hope you go to Oz soon then you can whinge all the time on their forum about the V8 drivers, the Abos, the digging up of the iron ore, whatever....
Oz isn't a better place to live in lots of people's opinions, that's why we're here and not there.
Don't take it so personally. Its just 2 countries. One is doing better than the other. Not every one likes Oz not everyone likes NZ. Oz does not pretend to be 'green'. NZ does.
Old May 11th 2011, 11:07 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BBC Investigates - Is NZ 100% Pure?

Oz does not pretend to be 'green'. NZ does.
Spot on.

My biggest gripe about living in NZ was that every day a large variety of Kiwis ranging from my wife's family to people in shops would ram it down my throat about how much better NZ was than England/Australia/insert anywhere else.

I get more anti-England jibes on a 2 week holiday in NZ than 4 years of living in Australia.

Why do New Zealanders feel the need to constantly go on about how much better NZ is than other places??? The lies would be much more believeable if they were a bit more understated!

BB
Old May 11th 2011, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't take it so personally. Its just 2 countries. One is doing better than the other. Not every one likes Oz not everyone likes NZ. Oz does not pretend to be 'green'. NZ does.
Actually much is being made in the media only about that one tiny 2 minute piece about the 'clean and green'. Having now seen the whole 20 odd minutes of interview, there are far more compelling questions about many issues, including the migration to Oz, the gap in the wages and everything; including the questioning of his credentials to be a PM.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:29 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't watched all the interviews.

I like John Key ... man of the people I feel. You know, a bloke? Approachable.

I like New Zealand.

I didn't emigrate here because it pertained to be 100% clean or green.

I moved here because I could. And because I did my research and thought I liked the sound of it.

Because it was a new, fresh, exciting, different opportunity.

Despite many personal setbacks, I have not been disappointed.
Old May 11th 2011, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

alijohnson has a brilliant futurealijohnson has a brilliant futurealijohnson has a brilliant futurealijohnson has a brilliant futurealijohnson has a brilliant futurealijohnson has a brilliant future

People emigrate for many reasons, we are heading to nz to give us better opportunity to spend time together in a place full of open spaces and a slower pace of life, it isn't Guarenteed to give us everything else we expect but I hope it gives us time, personally my family is my world and if all I get is a better pace of life I'll take it. The rest I'll make the most of. It's a personal journey for everyone and I can't wait.......
Old May 11th 2011, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Buzzy Bee,

Irony just passes you by in life, doesn't it.

You state 'Why do New Zealanders feel the need to constantly go on about how much better NZ is than other places???'

Why don't you tell us all about what a wonderful place Aussie is, again?
Old May 11th 2011, 8:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BBC Investigates - Is NZ 100% Pure?

Originally Posted by Howick
Buzzy Bee,

Irony just passes you by in life, doesn't it.

You state 'Why do New Zealanders feel the need to constantly go on about how much better NZ is than other places???'

Why don't you tell us all about what a wonderful place Aussie is, again?
Australia has been very good to me, and I am "guilty" of being an evangelist.

But when I walk into shops here, or when I'm at work, or anywhere, the Australians do not go on to me constantly about how much better Australia is than anywhere else. Whereas in New Zealand I felt I was constantly on the back foot.

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; May 11th 2011 at 8:58 pm.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:07 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I really like John Key - he comes across as an honest (as a politician can be), approachable very likeable person.... he gets my vote, and I thought he tackled the questions on 100% pure in his usual charming manor and turned it into a selling point for the country.

As far as Aussies V Kiwis (and the rest of the world is concerned) I have a simple equation :

Kiwis hate to loose
Aussies are bad loosers

Watch the sky news sports channels whenever there is a huge kiwi win over the aussies the item gets demoted to a footnote, whilst lead stories will revert to some insignificant local rugby derby in the outback somewhere.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I haven't watched all the interviews.

I like John Key ... man of the people I feel. You know, a bloke? Approachable.

I like New Zealand.

I didn't emigrate here because it pertained to be 100% clean or green.

I moved here because I could. And because I did my research and thought I liked the sound of it.

Because it was a new, fresh, exciting, different opportunity.

Despite many personal setbacks, I have not been disappointed.

I totally agree, we too came here because it was a better lifestyle, we never bought into the whole land of milk and honey concept.

It amazes me the amount of people who live here and have nothing but negativity towards the country, do a little research before you move here its not rocket science.

Yes we have had set backs, yes we are being shaken a lot by quakes and aftershocks, but we still love this place and happily call it home, my daughter is now more kiwi than brit and we are happy with that.

the whole question of is OZ better or is NZ clean and green is a matter of opinion, yes NZ has a much lower carbon footprint than most other developed countries and yes lots of people drive about in cars with bigger engines myself included, I choose to drive my car because I like the car the fact it has a big engine is coincidental to that fact.

Next year we will be going for citizenship and have no plans to just ship over to OZ.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Well Buzzy Bee, I can't even recall a time when a kiwi told me how wonderful the country is, compared to Oz & anywhere else, so I don't know why you appeared to attract these comments so often. Perhaps others have had youe experience. In fact, my experience has been more towards the 'why have you moved here'.

In any event, as I stated previously, we all know how happy you are in Oz & what a dreadful place NZ is. Your desire to keep reaffirming this notion suggests to me that you are just a bitter & twisted individual. Let it go.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Only 5 mins ago, a Kiwi said to me what beautiful country we're in.. Simply because the scenery is so Awsome.. Certainly Otaga is anyway..To which i had to agree.. Ive not heard onece of anyone saying how much better it is here than another country tho...

Maybe 5 weeks in is not enuough yet.
and i did not once look at the NZ carbon footprint before i came..why would i?..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.