Bay of Plenty

Old May 1st 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice
Default Bay of Plenty

Hi

We are seriously considering emigrating to the Bay of Plenty, Hubby is a welder and I am hoping to work part time as we have two boys at primary school.

I have looked on the real estate sites and know that there are houses available for upto $350,000 which is our budget but can anyone tell me if this would buy us a house in a good area with good schools.

Also am I being realistic in thinking I could work part time - I currently work full time in the UK. My husband's wage in NZ would be approx $45,000 per year? With our budget for the house we would probably have a $150,000 mortgage.

Nikky
Old May 1st 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bay of Plenty

The Bay of Plenty is a large province. Which town were you considering moving to ?
Old May 1st 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NiknAid View Post
Hi

We are seriously considering emigrating to the Bay of Plenty, Hubby is a welder and I am hoping to work part time as we have two boys at primary school.

I have looked on the real estate sites and know that there are houses available for upto $350,000 which is our budget but can anyone tell me if this would buy us a house in a good area with good schools.

Also am I being realistic in thinking I could work part time - I currently work full time in the UK. My husband's wage in NZ would be approx $45,000 per year? With our budget for the house we would probably have a $150,000 mortgage.

Nikky
Hi Nikki,
Do a search on here for BOP as I know there's info on it as that where we would like to live. We too have looked at alot of areas and house prices but never having been to NZ, we can only keep asking questions on here. We also liked the sound of Hawkes Bay but decided it may be too far from Auckland. As for wages OH is an electrician so will probably earn the same, I hope to do part-time work like you. There are quite alot of threads on here with regards to income and managing financially, looks like a mixed bag of comments, so take a look and make your own mind up. We know we wont be millioniaires but weve never had much spare money anyway so feel apart from lower wages we will be able to spend more quality time together and do things that dont cost alot. Hope you get the info your looking for.
Chris
Old May 1st 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

If I find anything out I will let you know.

Regards
Nikky
Old May 1st 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey View Post
The Bay of Plenty is a large province. Which town were you considering moving to ?
Hi

Not really sure - just looking at possible areas for the money that we can afford so any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks
Old May 1st 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

Hi

Nikky
hiya Nikky,
the house really does depend on what you want!! could get a nice prob 2/3 bed house for that...just. house prices are big at the moment! we ended up building and it cost us about your limit for 4bed house... if you can get onto the real estate sites, nice areas are...pyes pa, ohauiti, bethlehem, oropi, but there are some nice places in greerton, otumoetai....you just have to know what streets to stay away from! i think its more expensive to live on the mount side ....not sure but someone will know! i also work part time to fit in with school...its tight but it was tight in the uk too!! dont know if thats been much help!!
Old May 1st 2008, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future

Hi

Nikky
hi nicky,
we are also looking at the bay of plenty area when we move over there. i have a website which a member passed on to me its www.bestoftauranga.com its a tourist site but holds alot of usefull info. we are planning to move there sept/oct 2009. my hubby is a joiner so proberbly looking at the same wage as your hubby. we have two girls who will be 13 and 10 so i think i will being doing part time too. i have a thread on here asking what life in the bay of plenty is like if you want a nosey
if i get any further info ill give u a shout.
good luck with the research, we seem to be doing lots too lol
kira x
Old May 1st 2008, 11:38 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kira View Post
hi nicky,
we are also looking at the bay of plenty area when we move over there. i have a website which a member passed on to me its www.bestoftauranga.com its a tourist site but holds alot of usefull info. we are planning to move there sept/oct 2009. my hubby is a joiner so proberbly looking at the same wage as your hubby. we have two girls who will be 13 and 10 so i think i will being doing part time too. i have a thread on here asking what life in the bay of plenty is like if you want a nosey
if i get any further info ill give u a shout.
good luck with the research, we seem to be doing lots too lol
kira x
It is such a big area, when people say they are looking at Tauranga, there are too many different areas to cover.

Break it down perhaps to whether you want beachside or views/town/rural?

To comment on properties, again, without having a more specific area it's really hard. We live in Papamoa, one street back from the beach, great school zone, but over your median price.

I'll PM you regarding more specific properties.
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

While Tauranga may be the largest city in the province of The Bay of Plenty , the tourist mecca of Rotorua is also situated there, Whakatane is a pleasant small coastal town - you could certainly find a fairly decent house there for 350k. Kataikati and Waihi are both small towns also situated in the BOP province. 350k would buy you a very nice house with a good sized section in either of those two places.

Tauranga City is comprised of a number of suburbs - a few already mentioned by krissie. For 350k you could possibly buy a 3 bedroom house on a small section, in Greerton, Judea, Brookfield,Greenpark, Merrivale, Bayfair. They would probably be weather-board and not terribly well insulated.

As mentioned earlier - you would need to be careful in regards to some of the addresses in these areas. It might be worth considering buying a doer - upper in a " better " suburb. Remember " Location, location, location." - and no Iam most definitely not a real-estate agent !
Old May 4th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone for all of the information.

This gives me lots to look at and I will do some more research. I guess it will depend where my husband ends up working as to where in BOP we live.

I guess my question should have been 'which areas do I avoid' but I didn't want to spark World War III

Thanks again

Nikky